Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wanted to cut some weight from my 2017 CB-500F so I bought an Akrapovic (knock-off) on line, with mid-pipe, springs, clamp, etc for $72.51 shipped. That was over 1000 miles ago and if sounds much better (I even keep the decibel killer in place--it's removable) and saved 7# of weight (4# vs 11# for the OEM unit). It was easy to fit, but then I have long experience working on motorcycles and have a well-equipped shop.

The e-bay vendor was "Betterprice_moto". Again, I'm very pleased with price and quality of the muffler and mid-pipe. I've had many bikes and recommend that you stay with the CB-500. You might add a Corbin seat and upgrade the suspension a bit. A 30mm handlebar riser (about $18 on e-bay) is easy to fit (cables all fit the higher bars fine) and is more comfortable for me, anyway.

For anyone buying this exhaust, be sure to rotate the mid-pipe on the exhaust pipe so that the muffler body sits out at least 1/4" from the right leg of the swing-arm. You won't want the two banging each other as the suspension flexes up and down.

Ralph

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input!

Any thoughts on whether it’s too much bike for my experience level? I’m completely fine with the 500, and the Ninja 650 was fine as well (and a lot of fun!). I realize this is the point where a lot of riders get in trouble due to complacency or overconfidence. I’m trying to be diligent to not be “that guy.”
I migrated from the CBR500R to the CBR650F back in 2017. The 650 has lots more power, but if you're proficient and confident on the 500, the 650 will be no problem at all. I liked my 500, but after upgrading, I never looked back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I migrated from the CBR500R to the CBR650F back in 2017. The 650 has lots more power, but if you're proficient and confident on the 500, the 650 will be no problem at all. I liked my 500, but after upgrading, I never looked back.
Whelp, just to bump this thread for anyone looking to follow the same path. I turned 3,000 miles on the CBR650R today. It is darn near the perfect bike (with the addition of a full Akrapovic system, and rear seat delete cowl from Honda). The exhaust note is unbelievable. It's smooth. It's fast. The power is pretty linear just like the CBR500R. The handling is night and day versus the 500, crazy confidence inspiring.

That being said, there are two reasons I'm glad I kept the 500 and they are both related to longer trips.

1. The 500 is a much more upright ride. More roomy feeling overall, even though it's technically the smaller bike. My first couple of days on the 650R really had my back and shoulders hurting later in the day (not as bad as it would be on a 600RR, but much more aggressive riding position than the 500, or even the Ninja 650).

2. Fuel economy. Not because of the money, but because of the tank size. At 160 miles I'm usually looking for a gas station on the 650. I think the tank capacity is the same or even a little less than the 500. But I'm getting 40-50 mpg on the 650 (depending on how I'm riding) whereas the 500 was good for 70+ (and if literally just cruising on a flat highway, it would be over 80 mpg).

So it's the 650R when my riding group is a bunch of super sports (it will keep up, but it is a tad slower up top than any 600 SS). And the 500 when I'm with cruisers and/or going long distances.

Nice complement of bikes to own and I'm super happy with both purchases.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Whelp, just to bump this thread for anyone looking to follow the same path. I turned 3,000 miles on the CBR650R today. It is darn near the perfect bike (with the addition of a full Akrapovic system, and rear seat delete cowl from Honda). The exhaust note is unbelievable. It's smooth. It's fast. The power is pretty linear just like the CBR500R. The handling is night and day versus the 500, crazy confidence inspiring.

That being said, there are two reasons I'm glad I kept the 500 and they are both related to longer trips.

1. The 500 is a much more upright ride. More roomy feeling overall, even though it's technically the smaller bike. My first couple of days on the 650R really had my back and shoulders hurting later in the day (not as bad as it would be on a 600RR, but much more aggressive riding position than the 500, or even the Ninja 650).
It took me a little time to acclimate to the riding position on the 650, but I got used to it pretty quickly. My back and shoulders never bother me, even on longer rides, but my butt does get tired after a few hours.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts