Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I love my 250r, (Which I'm keeping by the way, we have been through too much together to part ways) I had to have one of these new 500's.

Picking up a Tri-Colo this coming Saturday morning. I think I'm more excited than I was before getting the 250r?

A question for you guys that rode 100 + miles from the dealership you purchased from. I'm reading about how slick the tires can be when they are brand new. I'm going to be riding thru a twisty canyon to get home, and I know they say to just take it easy, but what exactly does that entail? :) Watch your lean angle? No quick acceleration? Has anyone on the forum had an accident while bringing your new ride home? I'm a little worried, I've seen a bunch of Youtube videos of guys buying a brand new bike and low siding in the parking lot.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
No hard starts r quick/hard stops either. Easy on the breaks. Really, common sense riding shd prevail and you will be ok

·
Registered
458 Posts
New bikes come with a wax type layer I think it is to make them look good in the showroom. It does tend to be slippery until you've done a few miles.
I know people who have scrubbed their tyres to try and remove this layer.
If you are worried you could take an abrasive pad and scrub the tyres before setting off home.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just be careful with the lean angles. I deliberately tried to wear the 'slick' off of the tires during my test ride by slaloming gently in my lane while being bored in city traffic. I have it all worn off now (I bought the bike yesterday and have ~100 miles on it now) save about 3/4 of an inch at the edges which will probably stay there unless I get it on a track because I dont do much super aggressive twisty riding yet.

Like vroom said be careful with braking. I noticed how slick the tires were as a result of simply stopping at a light. I didnt grab too much or anything, it was just a moderate, run of the mill stop, and I felt the front end sliding a little. The tire didnt lock, the wheel just slid a little bit left to right when the weight shifted forward. It was alarming to say the least.

They really ARE good tires. Nice and fat and sticky once you get the slippery worn off. I feel much more confident taking corners at speed than I did on my 250 on this bike now that I'm used to the extra weight. Just gotta baby them early on

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just go easy don't fly into curves the stuff wears off fast my dealer let me do a few circles in their parking lot and it took care of it quick.

·
Registered
565 Posts
'easy' meaning slow in basic terms.. slow enough that (in the unlikely event) the bikes does start to slide you can manage it or worse case - come off with minimal damage.

Also very much depends on the conditions. If it's hot & sunny you'll be absolutely fine taking it slow.. if it's wet - I would probably go even slower the usual and 'nurse' it home.

Bottom line, try get the temp's up in both brakes & tyres and go at a speed with what you are comfortable at.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Lots of good advice in the above posts.
If you mind all speed limit signs (just this once ;) ), especially in the curvy areas, you'll be fine. Don't crank the throttle wide open, and don't slam on the brakes or do any extreme downshifts, and you'll get it home without a scratch.
Welcome aboard!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts