·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, i changed my oil this evening and in the following sequence:

1.Drained oil and oil filter
2.Torque drain bolt
3.Put new oil filter on with prefilled oil inside the unit
4.Refilled the bike with 2 us quarts and around 400ml, it was in the middle site glass
5.Ran the bike for around 3 to 4 minutes, oil light came off after letting it run for a minute.
6.Checked for leaks
7.Saw a drip under filter so i wiped it and ran it for another couple minutes and the end i noticed it was lower than the sight glass.

I filled it midway again and no leaks.

I just worry that it ran with 2.5 us quarts, would that be a problem?

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,180 Posts
A minute is kind of a long time for the oil pressure to rise but if the engine was just idling you should be okay.

Thoughts:

1) Did you use a new crush washer for the oil drain plug? If not, you may see some weeping there over time.
2) Next time you change the oil, fill the oil filter with fresh oil before you screw it in place. It might take a couple of fills as oil soaks into the media. Doing this can help reduce the time needed to build oil pressure and also reduces the amount of air that gets pushed through the oil galleries and bearings.

Two and a half quarts is fine for an initial start after a change.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A minute is kind of a long time for the oil pressure to rise but if the engine was just idling you should be okay.

Thoughts:

1) Did you use a new crush washer for the oil drain plug? If not, you may see some weeping there over time.
2) Next time you change the oil, fill the oil filter with fresh oil before you screw it in place. It might take a couple of fills as oil soaks into the media. Doing this can help reduce the time needed to build oil pressure and also reduces the amount of air that gets pushed through the oil galleries and bearings.

Two and a half quarts is fine for an initial start after a change.
Yes i did use a new crush washer and i did pre fill the oil filter with oil, i just put enough oil to fill it up once. I figured it wasn't issue, i revd a little but did rev it pass 1500rpms. Next time i will really fill it to the max. But based on every thing i added it had at least 2.5 us quarts, 2.4 in the sump and at least .1 in the oil filter. No crazy sounds heard while it idled after i got it to the appropriate level.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes i did use a new crush washer and i did pre fill the oil filter with oil, i just put enough oil to fill it up once. I figured it wasn't issue, i revd a little but did rev it pass 1500rpms. Next time i will really fill it to the max. But based on every thing i added it had at least 2.5 us quarts, 2.4 in the sump and at least .1 in the oil filter. No crazy sounds heard while it idled after i got it to the appropriate level.
Didnt rev it pass 1500rpms

·
Registered
372 Posts
You're fine.. Keep an eye on that drip, but it could well have come off the frame or filter housing when the filter was removed. The safest way to check the oil's level is when the bike's engine is cold, off it's side stand... so the bike is vertical, and all the oil is in the bottom of the engine. (y)

·
Registered
678 Posts
IMO, a new 'crush" washer is a waste of time. I simply use a little dab of RTV around the bottom of the threads of the plug and I have never had a problem - 55 years riding motorcycles and for all the cars I have owned in 65 years!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts