Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Won't start with the kickstand down

9K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Turphz 
#1 ·
I picked up a used 2017 CB500F with 4,000 km on it. Loving it thus far; it's so much more refined than my previous CBR250R.

However, I've noticed an odd thing. When the kickstand is down and the bike is in neutral, the engine will turn over but won't start. Straightening the bike but leaving the kickstand down, it still won't start. Put the stand up, and it turns over once and starts every time like clockwork.

This isn't a problem on its own, but it's got me concerned that there might be something wrong with the kickstand sensor or the electronics which could cause more serious problems down the road, which with my luck would mean at highway speed.

#2 · (Edited)
That seems odd. Try the kickstand UP, and attempt to lean the bike over close to it's original angle when on it's stand. If it starts, then you have probably eliminated that gremlin. I'd look for something loose at the Kickstand, it's switch, wiring, etc. If nothing, disconnect and try a jumper wire across the switche's connector, to by pass the switch. This is nothing more than a process of elimination, and hopefully, you find the switch or connector is bad. They're not terribly expensive, and should be fairly easy to replace. There's a link below for your bike's switch. Good Luck.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2017/cb500f-ac-cb500f/side-stand

#5 ·
It should start with the kickstand down if it's in neutral. You shouldn't need to disengage the clutch if it's in neutral.

#10 ·
I've gone through this before and did a thorough diagnostic (without blindly throwing parts at the problem). Almost certain to be the Neutral sensor.
Base on the circuit & kickstand switch design (NO vs NC), it is unlikely to be the kickstand switch. Many have wasted $ blindly replacing it. Test it first with any cheap multimeter (they are super cheap these days).

#11 · (Edited)
A few years late to the party but I just figured this out, was just having the issue with my 500r, the clutch has to be in even when in neutral, it's another 'safety' feature to make sure the bike doesn't grab in case it wasn't properly in neutral, so neutral with kickstand down and clutch in will start it, then release clutch and happy days, took me weeks to figure that one out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.