Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Wow that is a great price. but does it have the shoulder, elbow, back armor?

Your wife is pretty :)
Yes, it has all three.

We went to a bike accessories shop and they had a catalogue. We chose the styles we wanted and a guy came out and measured us. We collected the jackets a few days later. The wife's fits very well, but mine seems to have shrunk a bit in the wash. :beers

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
personally I find women's gear selection is poor. In order to have a proper fitting torso in a jacket I must sacrifice the sleeve length and vice-versa. Currently I own Joe Rocket and Icon. Much to my annoyance many women's jackets designs are either flowers, filigree or both. Then there is the dreaded pink! Frankly, if men's gear was small enough I would by-pass the women's section altogether and browse the men's department. They have much cooler designs to choose from. I avoid buying clothing on line as I never know how they fit, unless I can access the brand and try it on.

This year I bought the Icon Federal 1,000 leather retro jacket. It comes equipped with new D30 Impact protection armour. If impact occurs the armour automatically molds to the riders body position creating a protective splint.

The leather is a wonderfully soft that requires no breaking in which is a bonus.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
personally I find women's gear selection is poor. In order to have a proper fitting torso in a jacket I must sacrifice the sleeve length and vice-versa. Currently I own Joe Rocket and Icon. Much to my annoyance many women's jackets designs are either flowers, filigree or both. Then there is the dreaded pink! Frankly, if men's gear was small enough I would by-pass the women's section altogether and browse the men's department. They have much cooler designs to choose from. I avoid buying clothing on line as I never know how they fit, unless I can access the brand and try it on.

This year I bought the Icon Federal 1,000 leather retro jacket. It comes equipped with new D30 Impact protection armour. If impact occurs the armour automatically molds to the riders body position creating a protective splint.

The leather is a wonderfully soft that requires no breaking in which is a bonus.

Agree whole heartedly that the selection for woman's gear is crap. I don't mind a bit of pink once in a while but I wish it wasn't plastered on all the gear. Or even the flower patterns!!!!!!!! I am not an effin princess and I have no desire to look like one! lol.

I like the jacket you posted. Looks great actually. The soft leather is so important! The tougher leather just feels uncomfortable to ride in. It is SOO essential to have gear that will protect you when you go down, it isn't about what it looks like. It's about whether it will stay in place when I go down and it's not like I would just fall flat. Chances are there will be tumbling involved so having something that fits to your body is HUGE.

I say this because I recently had a friend recently go down in a jacket that did not fit him well and his stomach got some gnarly road rash on it. The jacket immediately bunched up and gave way for his body to be exposed. Ouch.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've read (Revzilla or Motorcycle-Superstore.com comments) that Teknic is "Euro cut" and therefore runs smallish....

That said, there's one on closeout at Motorcyclecloseouts.com for $119: Teknic Womens Venom Jacket - $119.99 closeout special! In stock NOW! :: MSRP: $299.99
My current textile jacket is Teknic and I love the fit. The only thing I am not a hug fan of is how short it is.

If only I wasn't addicted to tattoos and motorcycles...such expensive addictions.

Babysnakes- good find :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
My issue is finding women's jackets that are long enough. I currently have a Scorpion textile jacket which was a great deal (got on discount/price match for $95-saved $35 off original price heehee and was able to try it on as it was in stock): came with inner liner, light armor, has lots of pockets, great ventilation and is long enough to cover the length of my bike as I ride without bunching etc. It almost looks like the Scorpion Lily textile jacket (can't find pic of my jacket since it's older).

I am looking to invest in leather and tried out an Icon jacket but was too short. Joe Rocket was a big big and uncomfortable for me. I researched Alpinestar and the Vika women's leather jacket and called for measurements. Still a little short but they have an attachment that adds a little more protection and length to the jacket.

SOOO, my ongoing battle with finding a leather jacket is still going and when I get enough money, I may purchase the Alpinestar Vika jacket. It's pretty sharp looking and though I've read reviews where the leather seemed a bit thin, I'll purchase armor to protect myself. I had a friend who wiped out REALLY bad on the freeway on his 600rr and he was saved, additionally, thanks to his jacket. Alpinestar makes great gear and he didn't suffer any body damage: road rash etc.

Any ladies have issues with jacket length?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My issue is finding women's jackets that are long enough. I currently have a Scorpion textile jacket which was a great deal (got on discount/price match for $95-saved $35 off original price heehee and was able to try it on as it was in stock): came with inner liner, light armor, has lots of pockets, great ventilation and is long enough to cover the length of my bike as I ride without bunching etc. It almost looks like the Scorpion Lily textile jacket (can't find pic of my jacket since it's older).

I am looking to invest in leather and tried out an Icon jacket but was too short. Joe Rocket was a big big and uncomfortable for me. I researched Alpinestar and the Vika women's leather jacket and called for measurements. Still a little short but they have an attachment that adds a little more protection and length to the jacket.

SOOO, my ongoing battle with finding a leather jacket is still going and when I get enough money, I may purchase the Alpinestar Vika jacket. It's pretty sharp looking and though I've read reviews where the leather seemed a bit thin, I'll purchase armor to protect myself. I had a friend who wiped out REALLY bad on the freeway on his 600rr and he was saved, additionally, thanks to his jacket. Alpinestar makes great gear and he didn't suffer any body damage: road rash etc.

Any ladies have issues with jacket length?
I hear ya. I compensate for the short jacket with my backpack that has quite a bit of padding. and I always keep it in mind before I go on a ride.

The Vika leather jacket is so expensive and if you have to buy additional armor..I'm not sure whether that would be worth it. That jacket has an appeal but I think if safety is your top priority than you don't really get your money's worth. Its a personal preference of course, but the Dainese Racing Leather Jacket is the ultimate. Looks soft but also bad ass armor. There is also a River Road leather jacket that I've tried on and it feels great. I couldn't find one that fit me but it has good reviews.

or the alpinestar stella gp plus. I LOOOOOOVe that it comes in white. More visibility + keeps you cool in the sun.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Of course I go often to the stores but there is such a limited selection for women and I find that the jacket prices in the stores are usually always higher. And most of the sales people have been honest that the quality jackets for women are online.
If you find a jacket in the store that is cheaper online, than talk with the sales manager about reducing the price (trust me, they can do that and still make a profit). I found a speed and strength jacket online for $178, no tax, and free shipping. The motorcycle store in my town had the same jacket for $199. I told the manager that I would love to give him my business, but the deal online was better. After he "crunched" the numbers he was able to sell me the jacket for $149.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If you find a jacket in the store that is cheaper online, than talk with the sales manager about reducing the price (trust me, they can do that and still make a profit). I found a speed and strength jacket online for $178, no tax, and free shipping. The motorcycle store in my town had the same jacket for $199. I told the manager that I would love to give him my business, but the deal online was better. After he "crunched" the numbers he was able to sell me the jacket for $149.
That's a great point. I never think to haggle. My mother would be very disappointed. lol. I need new gloves... I might try this technique of yours..

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's a great point. I never think to haggle. My mother would be very disappointed. lol. I need new gloves... I might try this technique of yours..
I don't see it as haggling because I simply put the offer on the table to support my local small business by spending my $ in their store because they gave me a better in store price versus the internet. Good luck with the gloves and make your mama proud!!! I am female rider and have long fingers, so gloves don't general fit me well. I will definitely have to go the the motorcycle shop and try some on.

Reactions: 3Cheers

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just a note that Teknic as a brand is no longer in business.

So you may find some bargains out there

Have a look at the Rev'it range. They make a leather textile ladies and men's jacket. Called the ignition.
Revzilla have a review of it. That was my wife's first choice until she got the Dainese jacket for cheap.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
139 Posts
RedLady, I bought those A*'s for the MSF - they're awesome gloves...(warmish with the gauntlet, but I like 'em....good feel, yet plenty padded with the extra knuckle protection, too)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
What jacket exactly is it Carolyn? I'm still tryin to get my wife on the bike, she won't do the research for clothing, so if I wanna make this happen I need all the help I can get :)

Dave
Dave, check out Airblade Pro. I bought it from Bikebiz in Parramatta. They were really great people, very helpful and knocked about 15% off the price for me. I didn't even ask for a discount - they were just really great people.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts