Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I installed led lights in my givi top case. I did the too case wiring only. I ran out of time and light to do the rest. The givi instructions are not great and no moto specific instructions. Not sure how to do the wiring into the brake system. Is it inside the tail of the bike where the cap is? How do I identify it or will it be obvious when I open it?

· Registered
716 Posts
Lift the rear seat and you should have a selection of wires and plugs with a shroud around it. One multiplug will have three wires, green earth, purple and green brake light, blue and green tail light. This is for UK. But you should get a test light or multimeter to check you have the correct wire colour. Don't guess it.

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That should be very helpful. Thank you. I appreciate your reply.
What I don't understand beyond that is these instructions. There is this thing called a block clamp with a blade on it. It looks like the two wires go in, but only one comes out to connect to the brake wire. Is it that the wires are clamped by the blade? What if the blade cuts the wires? The led lamp wires weren't marked + or negative on any of the contacts. While the wires off the led lights are black/white striped and white, respectively, up to the contacts in the givi plate, they are black and blue respectively from the givi plate contact to the brake wire (eventually at the brake wire!) . From your post, I gather the CBR500R's wires will be a different set of colors, and that, if I use a multimeter and try the brake light, it will register on the multimeter. In that way, I'll know the correct wire?

See images attached.

Attachments

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
After studying this, I found two additional resources. Combined with what I know, and @ADIOS600 pointer about the wires being under the seat, I think I can do this. I'll try tomorrow in the light. Here is the source of truth I found (see picture.) (url:
) The video is for a CTX700, but the principles I believe are all the same. Also, the blue clamp is by CURT. (url:
) I'll post this weekend after it's done. The one point of failure I can think of is that the instructions were scant on the attachment to the led. It was easy to do, but knowing which is positive and not, I didn't know. Now I think maybe the black is positive. In which case I may have to redo the top case. I assumed the white was positive ... ugh.

Attachments

· Registered
716 Posts
That gives you an idea how to do the job. I'm not a fan of scotch locks, but they do the job. I would prefer to hard wire in, which involves trimming back the insulation and soldering my light wire to it like a piggy back. But the scotch locks will do the job. P.S what I do is test the new lights on a battery before fitting so then I know what color is what. Good luck.

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That gives you an idea how to do the job. I'm not a fan of scotch locks, but they do the job. I would prefer to hard wire in, which involves trimming back the insulation and soldering my light wire to it like a piggy back. But the scotch locks will do the job. P.S what I do is test the new lights on a battery before fitting so then I know what color is what. Good luck.
I am planning on doing this tomorrow. Do I have to disconnect the moto battery for any reason? I appreciate your guidance on this. It's been helpful. (I tested the top case lights with a 9 volt battery per your suggestion. Works great. I just need to tap into the brake wire tomorrow.

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So I got it wired up ... Brakes lights still worked. Then d'oh. I tested before applying the contacts to their permanent position - no top case light. Then I thought maybe I had the polarity off on the top case connectors. Brake light wiring is correct and is solid. Long story short, I'm hoping i just blew a fuse because that last maneuver of switching the top case polarity left me without any lights. Could it be just a fuses and I just have to set the led connectors solid. I'm doing this manually before I attach them with plasic glue to the case. Thx. (And only the blue on the iight. No electrics ... no turn signals, no lights.!(.

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@ADIOS600 @airhead83 So I only blew a fuse ... moral is to not rush the end part. Flipping the polarity as a test was literally a no-brainer -- in a bad way. Replaced the fuse. Went with my original setup. Tested more carefully and all is well. Waiting for the contacts to set in the mountpoints to do the fina test! Thank you again @ADIOS600 . Your recommendations were spot on! It takes 24 hours for the plastic glue to set. I'll test tomorrow. I think they are lined up well enough.

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate the props. While it tested successfully almost a week ago, there were challenges to mount the upper and lower contacts in my case. It is an older model case and givi did not have mountpoints inside the case as it does for newer cases. I measured and taped the contacts in multiple times to get them to match up. The way I verified the mountpoints was to put a light inside the case with the mounts taped where I thought they should go. I then used my phone to video the inside as I closed the case. After a few tries — I finally got it! Used JB Weld epoxy.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts