Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What kind of gear would you suggest for winter riding?

Albeit A Texas winter, so not super cold, but the mornings are starting to be under 50 degrees and my commute has 10ish miles of 80mph area.

All I have right now is a mesh jacket, that I can add the waterproof liner to in order to make it a little less breathable. Very thin gloves.

I have some thermal under layers from hunting I can wear as well.

Thicker gloves is a definite, but what else?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I rode in 35f-ish degree weather up here in Wyoming last week. I just wore a standard sportbike armor jacket with 2 under shirts, thick jeans with knee protectors, and summer gloves with a pair of nitrile gloves underneath. I was pretty warm for the 105 mile trip. I definitely recommend the nitrile gloves if you only have summer gloves, my thumbs get cold really quick without them. At 50f you might want to go without the second under shirt and control temperature with the jacket vents as required.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a textile jacket that I switch to during "colder" weather in California. Also having a down sweater (even a cheap one) underneath helps a lot as well as having a neck warmer.

·
Registered
599 Posts
One year, believe it or not, up here in Ohio, I rode my 900cc BMW all winter in snow, ice and everything - 14 miles each way to work!

Back then,I purchased a coat that was used for snowmobiling and a pair of mittens for snowmobiling. I also wore long johns, etc.

It worked really well.

Probably over-kill for your desires!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Leather pants and jacket keep out the wind.
I wear knee length socks and leather boots.

The CycleGear winter under garments are very nice for above 32°F riding.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I live in the Chicago area and keep my bike at work in our warehouse for the winter. Whenever we get a warm afternoon, I take her out for some exercise. Leather coat with a liner helps a lot. I also wear gauntlet style gloves to cover up the sleeve openings and wear glove liners. I wear a balaclava under my helmet, long johns and 2 pair of socks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Neck warmer is a must have for me and I use icon patrol gloves that have a liner for cold riding.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’m in Houston and once you go electric you will never go back! You don’t need electric pants but an electric jacket is so nice! I have over pants with a liner and my boots are about 1/2 size too big so I can use boot liners with winter socks in the 30s, lower 40s. Depends on trip length.
I have electric gloves but I hate that they are so very bulky but they work great too! But I don’t think they are water proof/resistant so I am going to spray them with a waterproofing spray and see how that works. I think quality hand guards with heated grips would be the best option. It is just more involved.i have Hotwire jacket liner & gloves.

I also have two neck tubes. 1 with a cotton type material, holds heat well & i just stick it into the helmet but the cold air is still felt on my face around my nose. So the second one is a thinner form fitted that covers my nose also. I prefer my cotton one until it’s cold enough I need both and I’ll do that when it’s in the 40s.

The chin guard insert for the helmet is big.

I always wear atleast a thin long sleeve layer over a tshirt because it keeps the warmth much more than you would think & it keeps the polyester lining of the jacket or liner off your skin.

With the electric jacket it helps the warmth flowing through your body but the extremities still get cold without assistance.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I’m in Houston and once you go electric you will never go back! You don’t need electric pants but an electric jacket is so nice! I have over pants with a liner and my boots are about 1/2 size too big so I can use boot liners with winter socks in the 30s, lower 40s. Depends on trip length.
I have electric gloves but I hate that they are so very bulky but they work great too! But I don’t think they are water proof/resistant so I am going to spray them with a waterproofing spray and see how that works. I think quality hand guards with heated grips would be the best option. It is just more involved.i have Hotwire jacket liner & gloves.

I also have two neck tubes. 1 with a cotton type material, holds heat well but i just stick it into the helmet but the cold air is still felt on my face around my nose. So the second one is a thinner form fitted that covers my nose also. I prefer my cotton one until it’s cold enough I need both and I’ll do that when it’s in the 40s.

The chin guard insert for the helmet is big.

I always wear atleast a thin long sleeve layer over a tshirt because it keeps the warmth much more than you would think & it keeps the polyester lining of the jackets off your skin.

With the electric jacket it helps the warm air flowing through your body but the extremities still get cold without assistance.

Good post, I wear the same, great is'nt it.

PLasma1

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wear a helmet liner year round, so the change to my cool weather liner is easy-peasy. Also have Oxford heated grips. Less than $100, including shipping, an afternoon for installation, low amperage draw, built in shut off, and plenty of heat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts