Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do when riding in windy conditions? Tuck, change body position towards the wind, stick your knee out, counter steer or be sad because you can't go riding

·
Registered
68 Posts
counter steer and ride slower .i rode in the worst storms to hit britain a few years ago from midlands down to Dover to catch a ferry when we all got to Dover weather was so bad ferry’s had stopped sailing so we all had to ride back home in heavy rain and strong winds not recommended and a bit scary Looking back it was fun

·
Registered
109 Posts
For strong cross wind gusts I keep my body vertical but let the bike lean over under me as if going around a corner. I am probably counter-steering but I don't notice it.

This becomes second nature. If the cross wind is steady, the lean angle is steady.

I did turn back once when the gusts were very strong and came from many directions. Riding in these conditions was not enjoyable and I didn't wish to find out what a massive gust could do.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The winds hitting the hills coming from central California are also brutal. You learn to lean. Or at my later age I just pick roads that have wind shielding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I've learned to kinda hang one butt cheek off towards the direction of the wind and use my body and knee as a pivot/anchor/weight or maybe like a sail boat (maybe not the right words but you know what I mean) to help out

·
Registered
563 Posts
On the motorways with the wind in front I tuck somewhat. For sidewinds I just naturally counter steer, I have not found the knee trick to help. If they are too much I just do not go out. Yesterday was windy, but not too windy, and aside from the obvious risks of riding in wind, my neck felt sore from the helmet. weight in it.

My main tip for wind is if passing a large vehicle that blocks out the wind, slow down to brace yourself for the hit when you emerge. There is a video that went around forums a few years ago of an American rider in wind, who overtook a lorry them veered off into the large central reservation (median strip) and safely stopped. My view on what happened is the rider did not prepare for the wind returning after straightening and speeding up while passing.

The same point goes for anything alongside the road which breaks up the wind. Starting from a stop you can easily counter it, but if it hits you at speed it is a lot more difficult to fight it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I have rode on windy days and it just takes the fun out of it... depending on how strong the winds are I'm either repositioning my body or counter steering

·
Registered
563 Posts
Here is the video:

Leaning into the wind and gets pushed from the centre of the lane to the outside when passing the first lorry. Does not change position, accelerates to 79 mph as they straighten to pass a vehicle with a large trailer and emerges past is at 84 mph. The wind hits and with no road space to spare, they cannot lean enough to avoid being pushed off the road.

Which is the other important top I forget, with sidewinds position yourself in the lane so you will be blown into space and have time to recover, while being mindful of other vehicles being pushed about too. If possible, the safest place to be near a shoulder so you have that on one side and the rest of your lane on the other.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Strong cross-winds are never a favorite riding condition. Good advice from all above. Also try to stay as relaxed as possible. Tensing up only makes it worse. Take your environment into constant consideration. Look for tell-tales like flags, trees, bushes, dust etc. to judge direction & strength of the wind & anticipate wind direction changes. When it gets really crazy, slow down.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I ride 60 mm deep rims on my road bicycle, to be honest I don't even notice wind on my cbr, but I guess I just counter steer and lean into the wind naturally, It also has to be said that 98% of the time I'm tucked in behind the screen on the highway ... so reducing your surface area will help as well, but there were some good advises from people, main thing is just practice and if you are uncomfortable at the speed, slow down

1 - 10 of 10 Posts