Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am 6ft tall I wanted some more wind protection for riding over 100kph on my new CBR500RA. My previous bike was the CBR250R and I has installed the MRA X-CREEN. It worked well once adjusted but was somewhat ugly. This time I have purchased a LAMINAR LIP. It is made for the CBR250R but since the screens looked to be the same shape I decided to try it. It fits well but not perfect (slightly too much curvature) and was very easy to install.

On a short ride today after installation there was much less wind pressure. I could stretch out my back and sit tall in the saddle and still remain in the comfy zone. I might try experimenting with different locations once I gain some experience in different wind conditions. Dropping down behind the screen reduces wind pressure a lot more but there is turbulent air and it is noisy.

I had thought of waiting for the CB500X in order to get a higher screen but fell instantly in love with my white CBR. I was interested to read in reviews of the 500X that the screen does not give much protection so the CBR500R with a LAMINAR LIP or other deflector may be the most comfortable for long rides at higher speeds.

I will be going on a 500km 2 day tour later this week so I will provide an update after.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Very nice setup. Is it night/day difference? Did it increase the height of the wind stream by a couple inches?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice setup. Is it night/day difference? Did it increase the height of the wind stream by a couple inches?
What it seems to do is create an extra 5 or 6 inches of much reduced wind pressure. It doesn't stop the air stream but just reduces it and makes riding at 120kph much less tiring. I am 6feet tall and I have noticed that I get very few dead bugs on my jacket and even a reduced amount of bug hits on my visor. The only down-side is that there is a little extra pressure on the wrists because there is less wind supporting the body at speed. Overall though, it is a big help on long rides.

Reactions: nettalmeida

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Would that not whistle in the wind?
I haven't noticed any whistle but I usually use ear-plugs and the only sound I get is some wind nose from the sides of my helmet. Without earplugs it is a bit noisier when I get down behind the screen but no whistle. I have used taller screens on other bikes and have experienced some buffeting but not with this setup.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is this easy to install/ remove if needed? i do not need this in city but looks perfect for touring.
First installation takes about 30 minutes to get the adhesive circles in the right spot on the CBR screen. Once installed it removes or re-installs in about 15 seconds.

Reactions: woja53

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been wanting to add this to my 500R. I find the wind to be a problem when riding a 75 mph on the California freeway. Especially when I open the vents on my jacket that are above my shoulders. My daughter's Ninja 250R has a Laminar and I really like it. I really want to see other picture of this. If it's anything like the 250 you put I think I will order it next month. If I do I'll post some picture of it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
How did you determine the placement of the lip? It looks like you could choose pretty much any location. Are there instructions for this with the item?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Does the reduced wind pressure properly offset how crappy it looks?
I've never had a problem with wind pressure myself, even at 150 KPH.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did you determine the placement of the lip? It looks like you could choose pretty much any location. Are there instructions for this with the item?
There are instructions and two sets of screen anchors are included. I used both sets so I could try 2 different heights. I found the lower one worked best for me and in this position the top of the lip is exactly 3 inches higher than the top of the screen. I found the higher position reduced wind pressure too much (some is needed to balance the forward lean) and there was more wind noise. I am 6 feet tall and I don't like to slump when riding because I get some upper back pain when I don't sit straight. Depending on your height your best position may vary. I suggest you make a good guess and try it out. When on the bike you can raise and lower your head to see if a higher or lower position would be better. Then use the second set of stickies to get a better position.

Reactions: Buffaloe

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does the reduced wind pressure properly offset how crappy it looks?
I've never had a problem with wind pressure myself, even at 150 KPH.
For long rides or a tour, yes - less fatigue when riding for extended periods at 120 kph.

When you want to pose down-town it only takes a few moments to remove it.

I'm not sure if repeated removal weakens the grip.

If I get any comments I refer them to the Isle of Man TT bikes which have higher screens because they spend a lot of time at 300kph!

·
Registered
512 Posts
There are instructions and two sets of screen anchors are included. I used both sets so I could try 2 different heights. I found the lower one worked best for me and in this position the top of the lip is exactly 3 inches higher than the top of the screen. I found the higher position reduced wind pressure too much (some is needed to balance the forward lean) and there was more wind noise. I am 6 feet tall and I don't like to slump when riding because I get some upper back pain when I don't sit straight. Depending on your height your best position may vary. I suggest you make a good guess and try it out. When on the bike you can raise and lower your head to see if a higher or lower position would be better. Then use the second set of stickies to get a better position.
I'm 5'11" so your installation will probably be very right for me. I'm really looking forward to getting this installed, and I think it looks great and high tech. :beers

bodessia, PHHHHHPPPPTTTTT!!!!:spin

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I don't care what other people think, hence my question.

Reactions: Katana

·
Registered
512 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone have pics of the one by laminar for the 500r installed ?
Me! Search my threads _ I think it was called "Wind Protection"

Reactions: Thump

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm sorry but practical or not I would not install that thing on my bike. Looks ugly as ****. Only done trips of an hour one way so far at over 110Km but had no real issue and I'm 6'1" and 250.
Each to their own and so long as it works for you and you like it then go for it. Be getting a Puig black screen for mine soon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts