Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of buying a bike. And I was wondering why you like the CBR500? Why did you choose this bike over the number of bikes out there for sale?

·
Registered
157 Posts
When I was first looking around for a bike, I was very drawn to the CBR500RA.

I liked almost everything about the bike. The seat height for a female rider was very suitable, the seat position was great, the power was obviously there for a first time rider but I couldnt get over the angle the handle bars made you hunch over the bike. More on the cosmetic side.... I didn't like the way the front of the bike looked with the whole running light on one side and high beam on the other side .... it was odd (In My Opinion)

I dug further and found the "F" version of this bike .. and well .. look at my Avatar .. I'm not going to jack this post .. but need I say more?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello Twin.
I am looking for a second bike after losing my first to a collision. I absolutely LOVED my first bike except for the slight lack of power that it had (ninja 250r).
I am interested in the 500r because I think it would provide the perfect amount of power that I need without (hopefully) costing as much as a 600 SS would (insurance, maintenance, etc.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
My intro to motorcycling aside from a little honda 50 dirtbike when I was a kid was a yamaha R6(I know big mistake) I was talked into it by a friend who rode a GSXR750 and the guys I was riding with at the time were all like well you drive a stick you can ride. Fast forward about 3 months later I had a nasty crash and had been reluctant to get back on the horse so to speak. All of the smaller 250 bikes were just that too small for me even the new ninja 300 seemed too cramped handle bars are too narrow for comfort for me. I tried waiting for a US release of the GW250 since all the overseas reviews said it was the size of a sv650 basically. While in modesto on tuesday last week I walked into the show room at the honda dealer to take a look around and there was a black 500r and a red one both non abs I sat on it and it just felt right I took the red one for a test ride and had to have one I took home the black bike and couldnt be happier its fun without being necksnapping quick and is a bit forgiving if your hands get stuck on the throttle or whatever. It cant touch the speed my R6 had but I cannot say I miss it at all other than it being my motovirgin. I have about 300 miles on the %))r already and am all around pleased I would be out riding now but its a bit chilly and windy out there today. Insurance for me was 280 for a year through geico full coverage way less than I paid for my R6 as well.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Honda has released a nice set of triplets with this new release. A little something different for riders different tastes. The 500r is a nice mid range bike that can provide longevity for either the entry level rider or, in my case, the final bike I will own. Personally I have owned a cruiser, litre sport touring, quarter litre now this new cbr. I have experimented with a few different rides. The 500r is not an intimidating bike but has enough hp to get the job done with a little more oomph. The ergo's is a sporty little lean without requiring the rider to lay on the tank so when riding long distances the comfort level is maintained. I like the low to mid range torque, making darting around in traffic easy, but the power is there for highway travel. Personally I enjoy the quiet exhaust after my Yosh on the wee bee. (We won't get into the controversial loud exhaust so cagers can hear us at this time lol). Throttle and clutch is solid and immediately responsive, which I love. I have abs on this machine....hope I never use it. This is my 3rd abs bike and I don't think Ive used it on any of them. The fit and finish is commendable for the price point. A rider can get this bike to reported 119 mph which is plenty for street riding. I have yet to test this out ;) I am a Honda fan. This is my 3rd Honda and I have yet to encounter any issues. All the best in your search.

·
Registered
111 Posts
cruising, corning, acceleraion, stopping, economy, reliability, looks etc. its ok in all areas, its not the best in any but does them all ok, which for the money it's worth is hard to beat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This will be my fourth bike. I started off on a CBR 125 for a couple of years, sold it and bought a VFR800 which I rode for a couple of years and then spent the last couple of seasons on a Yamaha FZ6R. I have been wanting Honda to come out with a mid-sized sport bike for a few years now as I am a big Honda fan. When I saw the CBR 500RA I was sold before I even saw it in person. It has enough power, good ergos, ABS and it looks good. I'm picking mine up from the dealership on Thursday this week, can't wait!

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
not much options in Thailand and it is really cheap here.
besides, i need to commute and tour and go for track which cbr500r fits my needs and environment.
it is a great bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's such a great bike for a reasonable price. I could buy a CBR600 for much more money but honestly I'm not really a good enough rider to get the benefit. Plus that kind of thing just feels a bit frantic. My last bike was a Kawasaki GPZ900R (two decades ago) and in some ways this is an easier version of that. Looks good, neutral handling, kind of upright riding position, what's not to like?

·
Registered
458 Posts
My Requirements were as followed:

1) Good looking
2) Fast enough for motorway without having to rev the guts out of it
3) Reliability
4) Reasonable price

It was a toss up between the CBR500 and the Ninja 300

I just trust the engine more on a Honda and I think the extra torque and bigger engine will make the CBR500 more easy going at motorway speeds than the Ninja 300.

There's not been a lot of choice in recent years between the 250cc 25hp bikes and the 600cc super sports 100+hp bikes. It's about time the gap was filled and Honda have made a good start with these three bikes.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Have to agree with iddo in all respects. Except that I'll first buy an 500x to do some long distance rides. I'm now considering an 500r to replace my Ninja 250.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My Requirements were as followed:

1) Good looking
2) Fast enough for motorway without having to rev the guts out of it
3) Reliability
4) Reasonable price

It was a toss up between the CBR500 and the Ninja 300

I just trust the engine more on a Honda and I think the extra torque and bigger engine will make the CBR500 more easy going at motorway speeds than the Ninja 300.

There's not been a lot of choice in recent years between the 250cc 25hp bikes and the 600cc super sports 100+hp bikes. It's about time the gap was filled and Honda have made a good start with these three bikes.
the extra torque of the 500 defitnetly noticeable over the the ninja 300. i went on my first big ride with a group from a aussie based forum and i was behind a new ninja 300 with a exhuast thru the twisties and it made alot of noise but didnt really go anywhere, as soon as i opened up my throttle i was right on his a$$. they might have a higher rev range but defitnetly down on torque, i can tell u guys that for a fact.
i know the rider has alot to do with a bikes performance but i could hear he was giving it gas, it just takes longer to get going then the cbr500. the power delivery on the cbr is very forgiving, u can make a noob error like being in the wrong gear for a corner and still has the grunt to pull u out without losing too much ground.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like the fact that the CBR500R is pretty much in between the 250cc and 600cc supersport. I don't require a bike that is extremely fast since I use it for everyday commuting but not slow which a cbr250r is right now. And the price point of the cbr500R is reasonable.

·
Registered
157 Posts
cbr250r - 25hp 366lb
cbr500r - 47hp 432lb
cbr600r - 105hp 410lb

ninja650 72hp 460lb i would think the ninja is more of a performance upgrade without the insane rip your arms off speed of the supersports. 47hp and 432lb just too heavy and not enough power.

the thought of riding one of those upper end bikes. (like the Triumph Street Triple R) scare me a little. 105hp 400lb bike...eek. but the 72hp ninja fast enough without being as scary.

but, that said. I am still open to being convinced that the specs of the 500 (47hp 8.5k redline) do not mean much in the real world. I would prefer to stay with Honda so is why i am here. Since i do like my cbr250, i am hoping the 500 is enough.

and not to make this too long winded. but when i think of my last bike. 39hp 8.5k redline. 450ish lb. high torque motor. that thing was pretty darn fast. fast enough for me. so maybe the 500 is "it" for me.

·
Registered
458 Posts
cbr250r - 25hp 366lb
cbr500r - 47hp 432lb
cbr600r - 105hp 410lb

ninja650 72hp 460lb i would think the ninja is more of a performance upgrade without the insane rip your arms off speed of the supersports. 47hp and 432lb just too heavy and not enough power.

the thought of riding one of those upper end bikes. (like the Triumph Street Triple R) scare me a little. 105hp 400lb bike...eek. but the 72hp ninja fast enough without being as scary.

but, that said. I am still open to being convinced that the specs of the 500 (47hp 8.5k redline) do not mean much in the real world. I would prefer to stay with Honda so is why i am here. Since i do like my cbr250, i am hoping the 500 is enough.

and not to make this too long winded. but when i think of my last bike. 39hp 8.5k redline. 450ish lb. high torque motor. that thing was pretty darn fast. fast enough for me. so maybe the 500 is "it" for me.

The problem with the Kawi 650 is that it's an ugly bike in my opinion and it's a few thousand more than a 500. It's getting close to a 600 super sport price.

·
Registered
458 Posts
cbr250r - 25hp 366lb = £4,100
cbr500r - 47hp 432lb = £4,950
cbr600rr - 105hp 410lb = £9,400
ninja650 - 72hp 460lb = £6,500

These are UK prices but I suppose it's all relative. It's a question of what you need, what you can afford and what you like the look of.

I have a 600 that I'm trying to get rid of, I don't want to go down to a 250. I don't like the look of the ninja 650 and I certainly don't want to pay an extra £1,500 for it over the CBR 500 so that leaves me with a winner for my next bike.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Oh, I shd also add, I like my WHITE/TRI/HRC with ALL the flashy "stickers"! Lol

Reactions: jsonder

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm a big Honda fan and was so excited when Honda finally released a full-faired mid-sized sport bike. I can't stand the looks of a naked bike or the half-fairings. I rode a CBR600rr a couple of times and after 20 minutes my knees were sore and my back hurt (and I'm not that old!).

The CBR500R is a great looking bike and it's comfortable. Plus it has enough go to do 0-60 in 5ish seconds which is pretty fast for the street.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts