Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was talking with a friend and he was saying 'why the **** are you selling your 600 to get a 500 when it has half the power and doesn't look as good?' (his words, not mine)

I thought about it for a few seconds but really I already knew why. My bike is a toy, that's the top and bottom of it. It's a little pleasure away from the daily grind of life.
Living where I do, I need a car, I'm not one of those people who rides in any weather, riding in hard rain and snow just doesn't do it for me.

Once I accept the fact that it is a toy and not a year round mode of transport it comes down to money and how much I'm willing to spend on my hobby. I think the 500 can give the pleasure I want for the price I want and that's why It'll be my next bike (as soon as I pay my finance off on the 600 and sell that)

What's your story? Why the 500?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'v had my Ninja 250r for about three years now, and while I love it I just want a little more low end grunt. I'v thought about stepping it up to a supersport, but as I'm paying off student loans for the foreseeable future the extra insurance price isn't going to cut it. I then wanted to get a naked bike as the insurance is cheaper, yet the only other offerings besides the CB500F are from European manufactures and tend to cost twice as much. (Think Ducati or Triumph). I could go the used route and pick up a ER-6n or a SV650 but I'd rather have the superior gas mileage of the Honda 500 and I'm not too keen on trading my 250r for and older bike.

Also I was hitting some 30 mph twisties at about 70 on my 250 yesterday (scrapped my toe sliders), and realized I don't need a supersport (I'd probably kill myself).

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I don't need it for transpo either. It's just a bucket-list thing.
I just want to cruise around on it once in awhile. I think of it as "therapy".
I like the power of a supersport, but I don't really need it.
I don't like laying on the gas tank to ride a supersport.
I don't need the extra costs of a supersport. The 500 seemed perfect for my needs.
It's all about "fun". 500 seems like a high fun-factor bike.
I won't know for sure until I get it, but everyone else seems really happy with their 500's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I chose my 500 for several reasons. For me, it is both practical and a toy. Where i live, I can ride nearly year round, so it's going to be my daily commuter and save on gas, and still provide entertainment on the weekends.

And as for why the 500 specifically, it's because this is my first bike, and i didn't want to get a 250 that i was afraid i would outgrow too soon, or a 600 that i wouldn't know what to do with. The 500 for me was the right size, no too big and not too small, and it came out at the right time (ok maybe out could have come out a few weeks earlier lol, but i was willing to wait)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just sold my 600 to get the cbr 500r and it was really about getting a bike that's the right size for what I want. The 500 has more than enough power to rip around town on and take on the freeways but is lighter and cheaper to run than the 600 I sold.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just took delivery of my new CBR500 today(Red) and it looks real nice sitting next to my 2010 Goldwing(Black) Kind of like big brother and the punk. The big heavy bikes are just not fun to use in traffic, running errands. I have been using a Suzuki DRZ400s for my 'run-around-town' fun bike and it really worked well for that purpose. The only problem was the 37' seat and my 30 inch crotch were just not a good match. My new CBR500 has it all and the parallel twin is a lot less busy on the highway. 'Love my new bike!

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'm a new rider. I've had about 8 hrs experience on bikes and passed my Q-Ride Provisional Riding Exam. I'm just pumped to be riding bikes.

I could go buy any bike and love it. The big 4 in my neck of the woods are the CBR250R, Ninja 300, Ninja 650RL (restricted), and now the CBR500R. I like the CBR500R because it doesn't have a throttle restrictor to make the LAMS class.

Its a new bike, I love the looks of the thing, it has enough torque in the lower revs to keep me happy well into my Opens, and bang for buck its easily the best in class.

Swap out the exhaust with a simple slip on to get some mongrel into it, get some adjustable levers, A rear cowling and it's perfect.

·
Registered
380 Posts
As a reviewer put, the 500 is the perfect balance between comfort and power. I went to the MotoGP race at the Circuit of Americas and Honda had a tent filled with their motorcycles. It was a no brainer for me to choose the 500 over the 600. Quite simply I don't think I could handle the riding position or the power of the 600RR. To me the 600 is a small racing motorcycle while the 500 is a sporty but manageable street bike. I like that it has plenty of low end torque and a low center of gravity for ease of handling. I'm hoping my 500R is delivered tomorrow or Saturday with the red rim tape and the red rear seat cowl. I spoke with the parts manager today and he said that the red seat cowls are no longer backordered. We shall see.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought my 500r for several reasons I wanted a bike that diddnt scare the crap out of me after my R6 wreck a few years ago the timing was right and 2k cheaper than the ninja650 r

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Interesting reason. The better question is. Why are you selling the 600? If you know it's a toy - wouldn't the 600 make a better toy? You are going to loose so much money selling the 600 that you aren't even done financing.

Sorry I own a CBR600RR as well and I can't imagine the 500 replacing it. It more of.. Compliments it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I can't afford a CB1100.

The 500 is just about powerful enough and just about big enough. The handling is superb and as I'd only be happy buying a Ford for a car, the same holds true about only being happy buying a Honda bike. I'd been considering an Er6N for nearly 3 years, but as soon as the CB500 came out, I got one. In Thailand it's easily the best value for money bike.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting reason. The better question is. Why are you selling the 600? If you know it's a toy - wouldn't the 600 make a better toy? You are going to loose so much money selling the 600 that you aren't even done financing.

Sorry I own a CBR600RR as well and I can't imagine the 500 replacing it. It more of.. Compliments it.
Can't afford it. Yes the 600 does make a nice toy but an expensive one compared to something like the 500. There wasn't much choice when I bought the 600. Sporty looking bikes in the uk seemed to go from a 250cc CBR 23hp £4000 bike to a 600cc 105hp £10,000 bike with nothing in the middle.
When I only spend 4-5 months of the year on it I can't justify it, it's not just the bike repayments it's all the other bills that go with it.
If I lived somewhere hot and could ride all year round then I would sell my car and keep the bike but I don't so a cheaper bike and a car is my only option.

The 500cc 47hp £4950 bike seems to hit the sweet spot, powerful enough and cheap enough

·
Registered
505 Posts
It's a great bike that fills a much needed gap with 3 different styles.

Reactions: Thump

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I think you guys are bang on! I too wanted a nice mid range displacement bike. Sporty, nimble, and enough power to satisfy without over the top "strap a rocket to my keester" hp. The SS group are awesome bikes but certainly not for everyone. I'm not keen on touring bikes nor dual sport thus, this new 500r was appealing. Once I saw it in person at the bike show I was sold.

And, well, "it's a Honda" lol. Solid rep, solid product.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think you guys are bang on! I too wanted a nice mid range displacement bike. Sporty, nimble, and enough power to satisfy without over the top "strap a rocket to my keester" hp. The SS group are awesome bikes but certainly not for everyone. I'm not keen on touring bikes nor dual sport thus, this new 500r was appealing. Once I saw it in person at the bike show I was sold.

And, well, "it's a Honda" lol. Solid rep, solid product.
How many miles/kms now? :confused:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
^only little over 600. Work gets in the way of fun lol. Will rack up a few more today though.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Why a 500?

Because sometimes a bit less can be a lot more...

Reactions: Krathion

·
Registered
90 Posts
This bike seems to have great bang for the buck. It comes in at the cheapest bracket of our insane motorcycle insureance where I live. The purchase price was really good for a new bike with ABS that doesn't look or feel like a beginner bike. I suspect the fuel economy will be very good even compared to my Honda Fit.

The bike seems to have a lot of pluses and really until I own it awhile and put some mileage on it the only negative is the exhaust and a slip on fixes that.

I suspect this bike will serve me well and I will be satisfied with it for many years.

·
Registered
505 Posts
^only little over 600. Work gets in the way of fun lol. Will rack up a few more today though.
Momma bear came out of hibernation! :eek: Ready for an oil change! :D

I'm so ready for a new bike! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts