Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys have any specific trails, roads or scenic roads you guys liek to ride on? Share them here ;)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Some of my favorite places to ride is to Banff Alberta, Jasper, BC, etc. Scenic routes with twisties. Traffic usually isn't too bad as it flows nicely. I ride most days in riding season, even to the store and back.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I like to ride in the Santa Rita Mountains, behind my house.

Before I increased the rear sprocket by 9 teeth, the really steep stuff often resulted in this:

because of having to feather the clutch in first for hundreds of yards/meters, I often killed the engine. :eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think i'm pretty spoilt where i live (but i may just be bias). Am about 45mins north of the Gold Coast, and about 60mins south of the Sunshine Coast. Both pretty aptly named locations. They each have great waterfront/beachfront cruises, but can be pretty busy with traffic and "scenery" to look at. And just to mix things up, they have some pretty amazing subtropical hinterlands nestled right in behind them off the coast for a nice cool trip home through the twisties.

I think about the only problem is our riding season here. Runs from about the 1st January right through to 31st December ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
@ Unclefugger...My condolences on your riding season being so short. Must be a bugger ha ha

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seems like you guys have some nice trails you guys ride on. UncleFugger you are one lucky son of a gun, with that kind of weather its a gift from god.

My favorite place to ride is the tail of the dragon US129 in North Carolina. ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
seems like you guys have some nice trails you guys ride on. UncleFugger you are one lucky son of a gun, with that kind of weather its a gift from god.

My favorite place to ride is the tail of the dragon US129 in North Carolina. ;)

I love this place!

Gotta love the tree of shame:

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seeing that tree always just gives me the shivers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The best roads/areas I've ever ridden have been

1) through the Austrian Alps between Garmisch and Innsbruck.
2) the Pacific Coast Highway between LA and Laguna Seca.
3) various routes through the Smoky Mountains
4) 89a from Cottonwood Falls up to Jerome, AZ
5) the Black Hills around Sturgis

My bucket list rides would be...
1) to retrace Ted Simon's route around the world in Jupiter's Travels (if you have never read this book, shame on you!)
2) the Isle of Man
3) down to Key West
4) get lost in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado and Utah for about a month
5) retrace Peter Moore's route in the book Vroom by the Sea (Italy)
6) maybe Alaska? Not too excited about all the bears, though.

For local fun here in southern Illinois there are a number of routes through the Shawnee National Forest; the best probably being what's called the Wine Trail. It's more of a scenic tour than it is a place to ride aggressively.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The isle of man is nice and all watching the professionals like big mac tackle but I wouldnt go upon riding on it. Sometimes just watch the TT gives me shivers let alone trying to ride on it myself. But i could do that all the time in my dreams on my race prepped CBR500R :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I think the route wld be cool to ride. Not professionally of course lol but it wld be an awesome ride on the bike.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The Dragon is ok, but almost all of the turns are rather sharp and fairly blind; it might be fun on the CBR250. When I lived over that way, I preferred Foothills Parkway, where one can go much faster around some broader sweepers; I bet the 500 would be a blast on it. Cherohala Skyway is like that, too, I think, but it might be much less twisty and fun; I haven't made it there yet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
US129 and 28 are very similar in terms of sharp turns and being blind also tight lanes but i just find it fun but scary and exhilarating at the same time. Chrohola skyway on the other hand is very wide and you could pick up some decent speed if your not too careful. I was there last september it got so cold u at the top laying on the black pavement that was attracting the suns heat was the next best thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You guys lookin for excitement or what. Those blind corners are quite dangerous when it only takes milla seconds till the reveal of whats coming around. I heard that 18 wheelers get lost and end up in the trail. From a documentary called **** roads the the dragon or US129 has claimed more than a few lives. A couple got beheaded too. So I'm staying in the back roads and cruising.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is the documentary gilesbama is talking about.

the way I look at is no matter where you ride its dangerous and sometime not necessarily the riders fault like careless drivers. But I feel that If you chose to ride you should have a responsibility to know how to ride properly and safely for your own sake. You can never depend on others, you should always be prepared for the worst situation. As for a road like US129, you should be an advanced rider before you take a ride on it or at least be safe and slow. But even though you do everything somethings are inevitable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts