Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody:

I want to buy a used CBR500 bike and wondering if I should start at a certain year due to significant changes. I was thinking 2011 or newer. Any thoughts? I see some affordable ones from 2013 to 2017. (I am in Vancouver BC.)

Also, while I am older, I am new to biking. Anything obvious I should check when looking at these used bikes?

Thanks for any tips!

·
Registered
532 Posts
From the top of my head:

2013 - the first models of the new 500 twin range were released
2016 - the first big update, new styling, LED headlamp and taillight, an adjustable clutch lever, adjustable front forks, bigger silencer
2019 - the next big update, new styling, indicators now LED too, better headlamp, slipper clutch, better suspension, new indicator panel with gear indicator, twin port exhaust

Various tinkering to improve performance took place along the way, but nothing major. The main difference to the models of the in-between years was to colour schemes. And because of this some markets skipped some of these models.

Also ABS was originally only included as an option in some markets, but non-ABS models have been gradually phased out.

Despite the previous three-year cycle, I assume the next big revision will not be until 2022, assuming there is one. Partly because of Covid but mainly because 2021 models were actually released last year and saw no major revisions.

Those came out early because new European emission standards apply to all new vehicles sold from January 1st, so the only change over the 2020 models was to meet those.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS AGAIN. I bought a 2015 as that’s what I could get for a fair price. It has ABS so good for this rookie.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Unless any of the newer features are particularly important to you, the original designs are still very good bikes and fundamentally the same underneath.

I cannot imagine why anyone would not want ABS on a road bike. It should not be used as an alternative to braking properly, so the better a rider you are the less it will get in your way. But it is always there just in case. Since 2016 it has been a legal requirement on bikes over 125cc in Europe.

·
Registered
119 Posts
ABS is not a requirement in the US market.... However it's been phased in for most new bike models arriving now. (had to correct that unfortunate inserted word).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Howdy Vancouver from the Shuswap. I've had my 2013 (also an ABS) up here from day one, and 25,000km later I still love it. Started riding, with this bike, at 48 and found it very manageable and responsive.
Not thrilled with the weak headlights (they are lame, even if you run with the second high-beam "eye" on all the time, which I do) and the Neutral sensor is wearing out, so that sometimes it is tetchy about starting. That will be fixed this summer, not sure what to do about the headlights.
Good choice! Enjoy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts