Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Wheels Of Justice: San Diego Woman Gets Six Years In Death Of Motorcyclist

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  sonicboom 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
Well, no. And that's why it wasn't prosecuted as such. She went down for involuntary manslaughter, which means that while she knew or should've known that her actions, which were intentional, were likely to cause this man's death, it wasn't necessarily her intent to kill him. Never mind premeditation - it's because the element of intent was absent that this case wasn't prosecuted as a murder.

#5 ·
First degree would imply she was on that highway already knowing she was going to kill. It could be second degree murder if it could be proven that she was trying to kill him. My imagination says that does seem like a likely explanation, but I'm unaware of evidence to support it. The video quality and angle suck. Also I don't think it's possible to enter both charges and hope one sticks. The district attorney would have had to file one or the other, and going for second degree murder would have risked a not guilty verdict simply for being unprovable. The charge is probably spot on.

The prison sentence probably should have been longer, but women often get lesser sentences than men for the same crime. Don't hold your breath on Emma Watson giving a slow, intense speech to the UN to fix THAT though. I wouldn't be surprised if her crying was nothing more than a charade to make herself look like a victim instead of perpetrator. It sounded like the judge gave her "half" of the recommended sentence, making me think a man might have gotten 10 or 12 years instead.

In any case, nothing will bring him back, and there's no shortage of stupid in the population so I don't expect any punishment would deter future violence. In the end there is no justice that could ever be reached. It's only an illusion of justice in such cases. The worst thing we could do would be sinking to her level with some kind of notion that we ought to decide who lives or dies. Besides, the death penalty just lets guilty people off easy. Not to mention the innocent people that are lost forever.

That said, I'm sure the justice system has a lot worse failings than this that nobody seems to care about unless its them on the chopping block. It's probably better to seek those out to be outraged over instead of wasting your time on this.

#6 · (Edited)
They had her charged with 2nd degree murder and they should have stayed on track with that.

She bargain for the manslaughter charge.

The court should never have allowed this deal.

She got away with murder.

She chased this guy across the lanes of two freeways for god sake. They detailed this event on my local news channel the other night, This thing went on for a long time and she would not stop until she knew he was dead.

This was murder one, charging her with 2nd degree murder already a safe conviction for the D.A.

They (D.A.) probably had an eye on saving money on the trial, so this women getting away with murder.

Not only that, this not her first rodeo with rage events.

#7 ·
All that said, I'm not overly familiar with this story, but I have to point out that it sounds a bit like he was asking for it. Don't get me wrong. I'm not "victim-blaming" so don't get your panties in a bunch. When the woman was racing up next to him he decided to kick her door instead of slowing down and letting the crazy bitch disappear through his windshield. It may not have been his fault (I don't know the story), but it doesn't sound as if he tried everything he could to get away either. Instead it sounds like he chose to bring a motorcycle to an SUV fight. You can't fix stupid. She was wrong for doing what she did, but that doesn't make his actions right. I can't say that it would have ended up any differently had he tried to stop instead of kick her door, but I certainly think it would have been a more defensive strategy. Live and learn. Die and rot.

Reactions: Owlman
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.