Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
actually no problem popping it up with the clutch, just can't find any good reasons to justify it. accelerating the wear & tear of the clutch plates, chain & sprockets in the process.
A million years ago I had a CB160. I was too young to ride on the street so me and my hooligan friends would slam our bikes around a "track" we made in a cow pasture. It even included a jump or two. We forced our street machines beyond their intended purpose and ruined them within just a few months. But, they sure were capable of off road work. At least we claimed as much.

A few years later we realized we could smoke the crap out of Chevy Vegas and Ford Mavericks by forcing them to do brake burnouts. Even with automatic transmissions, with the right technique we could make them disappear in their own tire smoke inside 20 seconds or so. We killed those vehicles prematurely too.

My point... Often machinery can be pressed into service it's not designed to take, but at the cost of a short life. Our CB500's were designed to do a decent job at a bargain price. For that reason nothing about them is over-designed.

Sure they can wheelie. Just hope you guys fully disclose your riding habits to the next suck..., oops, buyer.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Do you have to go a certain distance for it to be considered a wheelie?

Reactions: Joram144

·
Registered
69 Posts
wheelies on our bikes should be avoided :)
the fork seals are very delicate.
a few of my family members work at a dealership and warned me when i got mine.

Dave

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
What's the point? You can't ride a wheelie on these 500's. Sorry I've seen a bunch of people poppin' a wheelie, never anybody actually able to ride a wheelie. Apparently not enough power to chase it out and get to the balance point.

I'm guessing of course. I haven't ridden a wheelie since I had a Schwinn Stingray with a banana seat.

·
Registered
231 Posts
When I first got my 500, I took it out to a nice lonely stretch of road to practice quick launches. My first attempt landed me in a wheelie for most of first gear, but I was a little afraid of just dropping the throttle and rode it out smoothly with just slowly rolling off the throttle. Clutch wheels = definitely

Power wheels, however only work when the road suddenly drops and you cut throttle and full throttle at the right time. That was a bit scary lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well I weight 67kgs & the only time I've gotten the front wheel up is high revs & dumping the clutch on an abrupt pull away from lights with little intentions of actually doing a wheelie & no possibility of holding it due to lack of power but was a humorous little surprise I guess. No chance & no point on this bike. Ride safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guys, guys... Let the wheelie man do wheelies and let the cruiser cruise! PS, I can wheelie a ninja 250 and a cbr250... surely the CBR 500 can wheelie...

61 - 70 of 70 Posts