Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I think learning how to wheelie under the right conditions is a good thing. Do it at an abandoned factory or on a deserted parking lot where you won't do any damage besides to yourself and your bike, then give it a try. I like wheelies because you have to really be there, you have to be amped up, you won't be able to do a proper wheelie if you are relaxed.
I'm talking about clutch wheelies. Bikes that can wheelie without using the clutch should only be sold with a warning label. You have to know how much gas to give, how quick to release the clutch and how to play with the clutch while on one wheel. Teaches you balance and how to handle the power of your bike. Of course the chance that you dump it or hit your face on the handle bar is high. Get the adrenaline going before you try!
Once you have done a few you won't panic in traffic when you grab a bit too much throttle and the front end comes up.
Clutch wheelies can be done on any bike, even a 50cc Monkey. It's all a question of weight distribution and acceleration. I once saw a guy pop a wheelie on a 1400 Intruder!
Front wheel stoppies - not for me! That's where I draw the line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Power Wheelies

Dropping by to clarify any questions about the CB500F's ability to power wheelie. In first gear I can power wheelie to balance point. To anybody that disputes that I can only think of two things. You don't know to ride as good as you think or somehow my bike was blessed with some extra power. I think we can all agree the latter is highly unlikely.

In first gear come all the way up to 8 grand, completely cut the throttle to compress your front suspension and let your RPMs drop, and then blast that mo******cker.

Your welcome. Now go out, have fun, and be safe.

ACAB

·
Registered
208 Posts
man i really want to wheelie my bike but im too scared ill drop it.
has anyone tried out any of the wheelie/knee down classes? there's one in london but its about £200

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Don't know much about wheelies, but it turns out my daughter, who had never sat on a bike before last weekend's riders safety course, is an expert on stoppies! We were warned in the class portion of the course that the CBR125R's touchy front brakes are apparently notorious for producing sudden/unexpected stoppies. You can imagine this Dad's horror to look over and see my daughter performing an emergency stop procedure with her back wheel at least a foot off the ground! :eek

Glen

·
Registered
888 Posts
I spent a decent amount of time trying to do wheelies about a month ago, and I can pretty confidently say that power wheelies, especially pulling it up to balance, is nearly impossible on these bikes.

Besides the obvious reason of the bike only having ~40 bhp with some ~100 bhp bikes struggling to power wheelie, my reasoning lies in having tried it several times, at several different RPM ranges, while pulling violently on the handle bars, to no avail. I have even tried the dangerous, and stupid, snap the throttle closed, snap the throttle open technique, and the only reason I tried that technique is because I was confident nothing was going to happen (no wheelie).

I say nearly impossible, because I believe it may be achieved by standing on the pillion seat, and using the snap closed, snap open technique while violently yanking the bars. Even then, I don't believe you'd hit balance, I think you'd just pop the wheel up about a centimeter.

So I'm with your skepticism Dave, but hey, I could totally be wrong, and I am definitely willing to admit that I am not sure it is impossible, I just believe it to be so. However, with my experiences, and some knowledge, I doubt I can be convinced without some video...
When the bike is clearly telling you it doesn't like to loft a wheel, that should be a signal that thrashing it beyond its limits is detrimental to the machine.

Bad idea if you are trying to properly "care" for your bike. :rolleyes

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
My bike is clearly telling me that it likes to wheelie...!

·
Registered
850 Posts
When the bike is clearly telling you it doesn't like to loft a wheel, that should be a signal that thrashing it beyond its limits is detrimental to the machine.

Agreed 100%. It is dumb to force a square peg into a round hole.

My bike can wheelie in competent hands, but it is not "wheelie happy" and that is one of the reasons I have it. Matter of fact it has been shown that having both wheels on the ground is always more useful (except for Supercross) ;), and there are even some bikes that have gone to some lengths to ensuring that is the case.

·
Registered
888 Posts
If any of the 500's owned by you wheelie folks appear in the classifieds, I'll take an automatic pass.

Are you honestly gonna tell me you don't have to work really hard to get it up? Er, sorry, bad choice of words, but the point remains.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have given some half-assed attempts to wheelie and I have never come close. Obviously I'm too afraid to do it. I think that our bikes are a bit "big" to learn such a thing on. Having 18 year old balls again might help. My 29 year old balls can't seem to do it. Yet. I haven't given up, but I'm not setting a deadline on it either. I'd rather fail to wheelie than hurt myself or completely wreck my bike trying. Wheelies really aren't required knowledge and don't have much place in responsible riding.

The other day I was trucking a bucket load of water to my girlfriend at the cemetary (I'll skip the boring details). While we were there two bikes went by, a crusier and a crotch rocket (the real kind). There is cemetary on both sides of the road, and a cager was slowing down to make a left turn to pull into the other side... The crotch rocket pulled a sloppy wheelie next to this turning cager. I was just disappointed. It was stupid, and he clearly did not have the skill to be performing such a stunt with other people around. If you're going to do it then do it in private until you can demonstrate complete control, steering, stopping, accelerating, etc., with your front wheel in the air. Until then you have no business even proposing to do one near other people. And even then it's best not to (if you ever watch the pro stunter bloopers they still screw up from time to time and they're better than you or I will ever be...).

·
Registered
248 Posts
We were warned in the class portion of the course that the CBR125R's touchy front brakes are apparently notorious for producing sudden/unexpected stoppies.
You get CBR125's in your motorcycle courses? That's awesome!

Honda never sold the CBR125 in the US, so our bike courses use mini-cruisers: Kawaski EL125s or Suzuki TU250s. The taller and fatter guys in my class got assigned to the Suzuki's, which are closer to a standard bike in terms of layout. I got an EL125, which is very much a cruiser with foot forward controls and a freaking 34° rake. Anyone unlucky enough to get the Kawi had a tough time making the box turn figure-8s.

As soon as I rode a proper sport bike for the first time, it was a revelation. So much easier to ride with my feet under me.

Harley Davidson is campaigning to get their Street 500 to be used as an MSF bike (the organization that does motorcycle training in the US) and it's freaking 500lbs. It would be a disaster; luckily it's probably not going to happen due to its cost compared to the old Japanese bikes anyway.

Er, sorry for going off-topic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's a video of a CB500F wheelie, skip to 0:32.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9hJIFLspf4
The first time I actually tried doing a wheelie on my CB500F I got this high! I was at a dead stop and let the clutch go too fast at who knows how many rpms, didn't carry it out and slammed the ground. I almost had a heart attack. . . lol...
I haven't tried it since.

But the first day I rode the bike I did a 1-2ft wheelie on accident and carried it out 12 feet or so. I don't want to screw up my bike, but that wheelie went smoothly. I don't think it's that bad if done smoothly/correctly.

And maybe it's easier on an F or X?

·
Registered
228 Posts

Not sure if you're aiming that at me, but if you are, I don't know how it would apply to what I said. I said I can confirm it doesn't power wheelie. I agree that wheelies are detrimental to the machine, I don't know how I said that they weren't.

I believe wheelies will cause these bikes problems, and my bike didn't tell me that, just thought it up myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh they love to wheelie at least mine does. But power wheelie no way in **** will it go up more than an inch! Me doing a wheelie on my 500f

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
First let me start off by saying that i still got a bit of stupid left in me at 23. Purchased this bike brand new two months ago. Often wondered if it was capable of doing wheelies, i raced motocross when i was younger. Even on a KX125 a lot of time was spent with the front wheel up. Obviously a street bike is a different thing all together. So, to date. I have tried the power out in first and second to no avail. However yesterday i did get a few inches up after a friendly little full throttle pull through 1st, quick change into second and felt it lift. Nothing to write home about though. Would like to master the clutch up eventually, but honestly a little afraid as this isn't a dirt bike and really need to rely on its safety considering i'm often on the highway. Don't want any surprises.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Some of you may hate this or some of you may love it but here goes nothing..

I've been practicing wheelies the past few days and I've learned 1 thing from it. This bike is a little beefier than I had anticipated. I did a power-wheelie (no clutch involvement) in first gear and almost hit balance point. The funny part is I had been trying them earlier and didn't expect to get that high and when I did I freaked out and stuck my feet out and really hurt my junk... Haha. So essentially I went that high on accident..

Have any of you been trying out wheelies? Had any success? :spin
i hope you crash sometime.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Exactly the kind of people that should not be on this forum^

Anyways, Justgresh i find it a little difficult to believe you power lifted this bike. Unless you are absolutely preloading the front at redline in first and pulling it up with the force of thor. Out of curiosity I began seeing what the bike was capable of. Preloading, you can indeed get the wheel up but its nothing notable. Clutch up in first absolutely works. This will be once in a blue moon type of thing as it just feels like the bike hates you for doing it. Not to mention all of the horror stories of the fuel pump float being dislodged.

·
Registered
823 Posts
actually no problem popping it up with the clutch, just can't find any good reasons to justify it. accelerating the wear & tear of the clutch plates, chain & sprockets in the process.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts