Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may hate this or some of you may love it but here goes nothing..

I've been practicing wheelies the past few days and I've learned 1 thing from it. This bike is a little beefier than I had anticipated. I did a power-wheelie (no clutch involvement) in first gear and almost hit balance point. The funny part is I had been trying them earlier and didn't expect to get that high and when I did I freaked out and stuck my feet out and really hurt my junk... Haha. So essentially I went that high on accident..

Have any of you been trying out wheelies? Had any success? :spin

·
Registered
779 Posts
I haven't tried and frankly don't have any interest to. But I was convinced this bike wouldn't do them, but obviously I am wrong, haha

·
Registered
779 Posts
^^ shows how much I know about motorcycles

·
Registered
228 Posts
My gf caught a picture of me on the way up here.

Would get a better pic, but I haven't been doing it much more lately, as this is my first bike, and I would never forgive myself if something happened to it from doing careless things only a few months after I purchased it.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
I can get the front wheel off when I hit second. Usually only happens when Im accelerating out of a turn (around a corner) gets a little dicey leaning with the front wheel up!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't tried and frankly don't have any interest to. But I was convinced this bike wouldn't do them, but obviously I am wrong, haha
Haha, yeah it gets up there! Definitely has the power! That's cool if you're not interested. Different strokes, different folks. :beers

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can get the front wheel off when I hit second. Usually only happens when Im accelerating out of a turn (around a corner) gets a little dicey leaning with the front wheel up!
Woah, never had that happen. But I stay in 1st until I'm out of a turn from a stop sign or light. That would be scary in a turn! All I did was open up the throttle all the way in 1st gear when I was at about 4k RPM.

Edit: I have yet to try it by popping the clutch. A little scared to try it.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
So you were rolling along in 1st with clutch fully out, then only opened the throttle fully very fast and the front popped up nearly to balance point? What speed/rpm were you in in first gear? Did you lean back/pull on the bars?

Dave

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you were rolling along in 1st with clutch fully out, then only opened the throttle fully very fast and the front popped up nearly to balance point? What speed/rpm were you in in first gear? Did you lean back/pull on the bars?

Dave
I did not lean back/pull on the bars. The road was slightly uphill for about 10 feet which probably helped. Idk how I got that high, I haven't been able to reenact it. & yes, the clutch was fully out. It freaked me out, I was only trying to get maybe 2 feet off the ground like I had been.. Haha. What I do is open the throttle fully and get up a little bit then roll off for about half a second and then open it open again. When I did that it came up fast. Idk if I'm gonna be doing these that often. I don't wanna mess up my new ride so soon. I love it too much.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Dave
I spent a decent amount of time trying to do wheelies about a month ago, and I can pretty confidently say that power wheelies, especially pulling it up to balance, is nearly impossible on these bikes.

Besides the obvious reason of the bike only having ~40 bhp with some ~100 bhp bikes struggling to power wheelie, my reasoning lies in having tried it several times, at several different RPM ranges, while pulling violently on the handle bars, to no avail. I have even tried the dangerous, and stupid, snap the throttle closed, snap the throttle open technique, and the only reason I tried that technique is because I was confident nothing was going to happen (no wheelie).

I say nearly impossible, because I believe it may be achieved by standing on the pillion seat, and using the snap closed, snap open technique while violently yanking the bars. Even then, I don't believe you'd hit balance, I think you'd just pop the wheel up about a centimeter.

So I'm with your skepticism Dave, but hey, I could totally be wrong, and I am definitely willing to admit that I am not sure it is impossible, I just believe it to be so. However, with my experiences, and some knowledge, I doubt I can be convinced without some video...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yeah, I think "power wheelies" are nigh on impossible, but clutch up wheelies in first are easily done, thats proven, even the 250R cold do those (been there done that). I can get the front up on the 500R changing into second under hard accelleration / snappy throttle release.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spent a decent amount of time trying to do wheelies about a month ago, and I can pretty confidently say that power wheelies, especially pulling it up to balance, is nearly impossible on these bikes.

Besides the obvious reason of the bike only having ~40 bhp with some ~100 bhp bikes struggling to power wheelie, my reasoning lies in having tried it several times, at several different RPM ranges, while pulling violently on the handle bars, to no avail. I have even tried the dangerous, and stupid, snap the throttle closed, snap the throttle open technique, and the only reason I tried that technique is because I was confident nothing was going to happen (no wheelie).

I say nearly impossible, because I believe it may be achieved by standing on the pillion seat, and using the snap closed, snap open technique while violently yanking the bars. Even then, I don't believe you'd hit balance, I think you'd just pop the wheel up about a centimeter.

So I'm with your skepticism Dave, but hey, I could totally be wrong, and I am definitely willing to admit that I am not sure it is impossible, I just believe it to be so. However, with my experiences, and some knowledge, I doubt I can be convinced without some video...
I understand your skepticism but I've seen videos of people almost going over backwards on a cbr250r so it is definitely possible on this bike. I didn't just pop the wheel up a centimeter, that's easy & I can do that anytime. I can get the wheel up about a foot with ease as well & I know what that feels like. But this felt much larger. The bike was almost (not quite) but almost vertical for a second. If I can reenact it maybe I'll try to get video proof. Idk if I can reenact it though as I said before, it was an accident. Haha

Edit: Also, I'll restate that it was somewhat uphill.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Having done 7000km on a CBR250R, I can assure you it wont pop the front up much at all, much less flip, without clutch action first gear or not :)

I did a fully vertical wheelie in first - reved it to 5000rpm+ and popped the clutch...held it for long enough. Crapped myself lol. But without the clutch it wouldn't have happened (I've tried). Dropping a tooth on the front sprocket makes 2nd gear clutch up wheelies possible on the 250R though, and I bet it would on the 500 as well.

:)

Dave

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Reactions: Rocky244

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not even game to try! I value my arse and my bike way too much to even give it a shot.
The first time I got mine to pop up, I was caught off guard and yanked the front wheel to the side as it was suddenly weightless. Definitely a scary feeling, but after I straightened it out I couldn't help but let out a yell, pretty exhilarating.

I'm with you tho, not worth the risk, just wanted to have it under my belt, and after I got that in my head I couldn't stand the thought of not having it in my skill set :grin

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I am by no means a wheelie expert, but I tried the same thing Rocky did for a while, it doesn't work. I'd say Gresh probably felt like he was further off the ground than he really was the same way people feel like they are leaning over a long way in a bend while most of the time they really aren't.

Reactions: Rocky244
1 - 20 of 70 Posts