Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in an accident car cut me off and fully braked and sent me and my bike flying. I fixed everything on it now but now I'm focusing on my wheels the rear wheel looks out of place (as I it's not centered). And the front wheel is not straight with my handle bars it points to the right. I'm wondering how do I align those or see if my forks are the issues ?

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you ran into the car at speed there is a good chance your fork tubes are bent. If you don't actually see a wrinkle in the tube just below the triple clamp, it will be hard to determine this without taking the forks apart. On the other hand, maybe the forks are just twisted in the triple clamps. This can be fixed by loosening the fork clamp bolts slightly and then bracing the wheel against something while you push the bars in the direction they need to go to line up with the wheel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried losing then compressing the forks it's still not straight. If I take them apart will I need to have an exact way to put them back on?
If you ran into the car at speed there is a good chance your fork tubes are bent. If you don't actually see a wrinkle in the tube just below the triple clamp, it will be hard to determine this without taking the forks apart. On the other hand, maybe the forks are just twisted in the triple clamps. This can be fixed by loosening the fork clamp bolts slightly and then bracing the wheel against something while you push the bars in the direction they need to go to line up with the wheel.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Did you loosen them all up - up top at the "triple clamp" and at the place below the steering stem and the wheel axle? All of these need to be loose for the suggestion above to work.

Also, I would bet the rear wheel has gotten out of alignment as well. There are several methods to straighten that (AND keep the chain in proper tension with plenty of slack) but probably the best is to measure back from the center of the swingarm pivot point on each side making them exactly the same by using the adjustment screws. Some say don't go by the alignment marks from the factory, but I just use the measuring method.

If the forks are bent, you can know by taking off one fork at a time and cleaning it up, then take it to a perfectly flat surface (like a layout table at a machine shop) and rolling it. If it is bent you will see from that.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I tried losing then compressing the forks it's still not straight. If I take them apart will I need to have an exact way to put them back on?
Not loosen and compress. If you have the pinch bolts loose enough that would make the tubes slide up in the triple clamps. You need to turn the bars in the direction you need them to be straight, while bracing the front wheel against something.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got in an accident car cut me off and fully braked and sent me and my bike flying. I fixed everything on it now but now I'm focusing on my wheels the rear wheel looks out of place (as I it's not centered). And the front wheel is not straight with my handle bars it points to the right. I'm wondering how do I align those or see if my forks are the issues ?

If you are located near Dallas, TX, I will be happy to help you check for the cause (for free!!). Just send me an email gwaugh64 at gmail dot com and I can send you my address and we can take a look and find the cause (bent fork legs, twisted yokes or just incorrectly setup front end).

Gary

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I followed your instructions one fork is bent . Thanks btw. Do you happen to know if the 300r are the same size as the 500r found nee ones really cheap but I cant find fitment size or anything .
Did you loosen them all up - up top at the "triple clamp" and at the place below the steering stem and the wheel axle? All of these need to be loose for the suggestion above to work.

Also, I would bet the rear wheel has gotten out of alignment as well. There are several methods to straighten that (AND keep the chain in proper tension with plenty of slack) but probably the best is to measure back from the center of the swingarm pivot point on each side making them exactly the same by using the adjustment screws. Some say don't go by the alignment marks from the factory, but I just use the measuring method.

If the forks are bent, you can know by taking off one fork at a time and cleaning it up, then take it to a perfectly flat surface (like a layout table at a machine shop) and rolling it. If it is bent you will see from that.

·
Registered
601 Posts
No, I don't know beyond what I have said. Perhaps one of the places that sells genuine Honda parts may be able to help you. You CAN have your local Honda dealer look up the part number and then go from there - looking at different sources for THAT PARTICULAR part. Often the Honda dealer may be able to tell you what other models (or how long the particular part has been in use) may use that same part. I worked at a Honda dealer, so be warned, they change part designs like we change underwear.

One other thing. I would avoid the temptation to try to straighten a front fork. It can be done, but I don't trust after that the STRENGTH integrity of that fork. Your safety is far more important than saving some $$ on a good proven fork.

·
Registered
212 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts