Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just turned 40,000 miles on my 2014 500R. I guess I've passed the point where the bike is considered to have high mileage and is not worth much, but it is still tight, quiet, and smooth. I think it could easily go to 100K.

I use it for everything......day rides in the local mountains, running errands, and sport touring for days at a time.

I have installed heated grips, a center stand, and wired in connections for a Gerbing heated vest and Garmin gps. I also added a Laminar Lip to the windscreen and install Givi hard cases when touring.

Maintenance has consisted of three front and five rear tires (one rear replaced early due to un-repairable puncture), plus two chains and one front sprocket. Oh, and both front and rear brake pads. No other problems.

Surely there is somebody in a warm climate who commutes and has higher mileage than me, so lets hear your experience

Below is a pic of me in my rain gear on a ride to the California redwoods a couple of years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
823 Posts
Yes Sir.. ?
my 2014 cbr is 83k+ km on the clock.
most dependable, just service and ride. changed to 4th set of rear tyre few days back.
yesterday's pic, after the rain, when a truck skidded and completely block the highway.

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
46,000 km on a 3 yr old R.

Same brake pads. 2nd set of tyres about to be 3rd.

Still on same sprockets but changing those with tyres. On 2nd chain. Will get 3rd with sprockets.

For those high milage owners...any issues with valves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have only 13000 mi on my 16, but am very encouraged by hearing of others experiences. I plan to hold on to this bike for as long as possible. Like how trouble free they are.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just about to put my cbr500r in winter storage at 56 000 km.Replaced 3 front and 4 rear tires(rear tire on it now is shot),3 front sprockets and 3 chains,brake pads changed and one fork seal.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just about to put my cbr500r in winter storage at 56 000 km.Replaced 3 front and 4 rear tires(rear tire on it now is shot),3 front sprockets and 3 chains,brake pads changed and one fork seal.
Seems like a lot of tires and chains for that mileage.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Good gawd you live in Arizona (Arid-zone-a) you need to rack up more miles. It is a wonderful state for riding, I lived in Prescott in the 70s & rode my 750 Honda everywhere. Get on & go!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Seems like a lot of tires and chains for that mileage.
I use the cheapest o ring chains i can get and 3 tires were done in by nail's(i have very bad luck)so now buy the cheapest tires i can find which are either contimotions or BT 023's.

·
Super Moderator
722 Posts
Just seen a post on a different forum by an eiropean roder, who changed his cb500x to an NC only because he had a seemingly bigger accident so his bike was not economical to repair at 200.000kms.

·
Registered
161 Posts
2013 f owned for just over 2 years

80k kms on it

planned on a newer bike at christmas which now wont happen so more miles next year

chains tyres and oil all it needs

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've got 15,000 miles on my 650F. I'm on my third rear tire and second front. I just had to replace my battery (which was apparently the cause of my Check Engine light). No other issues, the bike runs like the day it was new. I'm probably supposed to have the valve check done, but I'm not sure how likely I am to do it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
24000 miles on my 14F (all for pleasure). Rear tire at 13K, front tire, brake fluid and coolant change and valve check (no adj needed) at 16K, drive chain at 23K. Cheap and Sweet!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
2014 CBR500RA. 38,000kms. Commuting 90%. Just replaced chain and front sprocket. Replaced rear tyre at 22000 and front at 28000. Live in Perth Western Australia. Self serviced. Rear brake pads at 28000kms. Front pads are getting close to replacing. Haven't checked valves. Very stiff and sticking clutch recently. Thought I might have to take it in to get it looked at. Decided to spray a bit of lube into clutch cable at the bars. Totally fixed it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts