Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I got home the other day I noticed a nail in my rear tire. It seems to be in there pretty good, I cant wiggle it out.

The good news it the tire is not leaking, but I worry it will if I remove the nail.....

The tires are still new and have only about 250 miles on them. I called the service department at the dealership and the guy said that I should just leave it in until the tire needs replaced, 7000-1000 miles down the road. I don't know that I am comfortable with that. I am worried about getting stranded somewhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

·
Registered
458 Posts
You can either leave it in and take your chances or change the tyre. Not much else to do really. My advice is to get a new tyre asap

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can take the tire in the shop and have them patch it from the inside. Unless its on the sidewall. Even though it doesn't seem to be leaking it can develop a leak or be a really slow leak. You can spray it with soapy water and see if it bubbles up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Replace the tire, it sucks having to pay for it but it will suck a lot more if you get a flat on the freeway and lose control of your bike.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
I got two nails until now and get it vulcanized - patched from inside - and no problems at all.
But leaving the nail in the tyre is not a good idea and how come honda shop advised you to leave it there i am not sure. They must be crazy to say that as every km the nail is there, it will damage the tire more and go deeper inside.
Just go to a car tire shop and let them remove the nail and get your tire vulcanized.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you can find a reliable shop that can repair it for you afforably, you should probably get that done at some point.
If you leave it in, and if you ride somewhere where picking up nails isn't extremely rare, you might want to pick up a Stop & Go kit or similar.
Pocket Tire Plugger plus CO2 Inflation - Stop & Go International Inc Store
Been carrying one of these kits in my tank bag for 10 years. Only used it once on someone else's bike. Hope the cartridges don't leak!

Better safe than sorry!

On a high performance bike i.e. 600-4+, I would not trust a patch. On this 500 I'd patch it and continue breaking it in and replace it later.

Reactions: Natrix

·
Registered
565 Posts
I wouldn't risk it. Think about it this way, when the tyres are cold the rubber is 'hard' / constricted .. you ride off and the tyres warm up, so soften / expand.. the nail is metal so won't have the same properties and variation in temps, basically it could loosen. Leaving it in won't be a good idea at all and agree with the others, the dealer is crazy to even suggest it. Patch it or replace it mate, that's the only two options if you want my opinion.

Safety first for sure!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
How deep did it go? Bring it to a shop and have them inspect the tire. It could be that it didn't go through all the way which is why there is no air leaking. If it did go through Id get the tire patched/repaired.

I've tracked with a patched tire before. I know not the best idea but it worked!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is the outcome:

I had the tire replaced this morning, $180. I was not comfortable with leaving it in. I did save the old tire tho, I hope to patch it and put in on in a year when this one wears out.

The nail was sticking in about a 1/3 inch into the tire. I am happy to have the piece of mind that I am less likely to die on the way home from work tonight.

Thanks for all of your advice!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Good move.... I know it's 180 bucks but peace of mind is well worth it...

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
If you can afford it replace it but the tires still work. Some guys will say they aren't safe but for street riding it is fine.

Just patch it and sell it online as a almost new patched tire.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you can afford it replace it but the tires still work. Some guys will say they aren't safe but for street riding it is fine.

Just patch it and sell it online as a almost new patched tire.
I'm gonna have to second this post, you can re-coup some of the costs by the selling the tire after its patched up and ready to go. Then you can put the money towards a shiny new, fresh tire of your choice a year or so down the road.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I would have just had it patched, and kept running it.
Definitely wouldn't have left the nail in there, and I wouldn't have bought a whole new tire just for one nail.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Straight from Dunlop:

Dunlop recommends only permanent plug-patch repairs of small (maximum 1/4-inch diameter) tread-area punctures from within the dismounted tire by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer. Never perform an exterior repair and never use an inner tube as a substitute for a proper repair. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after repair, and the repaired tire should never be used over 75 mph. Advise your customer to check inflation pressure after tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in, or sooner if air loss is suspected.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No problem. Do whatever company lawyers tell you to do. ( Freewill. It's a gift. )
:cool:

I don't understand your post. They clearly say that a patch repair is adequate.

It's been standard industry practice in motorcycles and passenger vehicles for quite some time to do an inside combination patch/plug when the conditions are correct.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts