Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What RPM does the battery charge at?

I remember on the CBR250R it was from 5000 RPM. It said that in the manual. The CBR500R's manual doesn't.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have you tried putting a multimeter across the battery terminals with the bike idling, and measured the increase in voltage as you blip the throttle? That should indicate the charging circuit is in operation. However, to produce enough to start effectively charging the battery, one would need to maintain normal driving rpm. I would suppose (without having one to test, sadly) anything from 3000rpm onwards.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently added a heated vest (torso stays toasty!) that draws a maximum of four amps. So I tested it, watching the battery voltage at various RPMs.

At IDLE the voltage remained above 14.0 volts - very healthy charging with the added load. At higher RPM it pretty much stayed the same.

My takeaway is that the stator is reasonably capable of powering accessories.

Why they did not make the battery voltage available on the display is beyond me - this would have been little or no cost and would provide the rider an early warning of a discharging battery.

·
Registered
74 Posts
And they already have the voltage brought into the ECU / Display, so it would be easy. But then they don't display oil & coolant temperature either, so I think they deliberately "dumbed it down."

Seems like you could select if you wanted the numerical or dumb screen with one of the push buttons.

I don't know of any Honda that has this

·
Registered
127 Posts
And they already have the voltage brought into the ECU / Display, so it would be easy. But then they don't display oil & coolant temperature either, so I think they deliberately "dumbed it down."

Seems like you could select if you wanted the numerical or dumb screen with one of the push buttons.
Contact Honda. Maybe they'll consider adding this feature to future models

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,201 Posts
Why they did not make the battery voltage available on the display is beyond me - this would have been little or no cost and would provide the rider an early warning of a discharging battery.
My guess would be that the CBR lineup was never intended to have a lot of electric add-ons and doo-dads attached and so the system loading was never anticipated to be such that a voltage display would be really needed.

What surprises me is the lack of an engine coolant temperature display. Ambient temperature would have been nice too...

Zombie thread! Someone dug deep for this one.....
People are often chided for not searching before posting. We should applaud those that post in relevant threads even if they're old(er). :)

Reactions: Kyle86GT

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
A gear indicator and a display for tire pressure, sprocket wear, chain slack, mirror angle plus a countdown to the next valve check would also be nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts