Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started to rebuild my clutch, and I noticed this chain is pretty loose. It moves side to side rather easy. Is this normal? What is this chain called? Would I need to replace it?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The object driven by the chain (at the bottom) is the oil pump. I'm going to guess that the chain play is probably normal. For example, another Honda product:

·
Registered
157 Posts
as stated, that chain just drives the oil pump, a fair bit of slack is normal, there is no tensioner, yours looks fine in the picture, I wouldn't worry about it. I am rebuilding a 2008 CBR1000RR and they use the same thing, a small chain to drive the oil and water pump, and no tensioner!! :)

Gary

·
Registered
406 Posts
If I was to strip my clutch out and I had done in excess of 80,000 miles not km then I may consider a new oil pump drive chain. But even then it could be classed as over kill.

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
No need to replace it. All are slack from manufacture, and none of the bike's reaching over 200k kms needed to change them.
That chain runs totally in oil, and it is not subject to big loads or load changes as it drives a hidraulic pump.
What doesn't break doesn't have to be repaired.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts