Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hunting for motorbike spot lights but they either suck or are as expensive as he'll. So I've got a STEDI 12 inch light bar coming in the mail. It draws 8 amps at 14 volts can my bike sustain that at most we are talking peak 160 watts. Thanks in advance I haven't been able to find much about my bikes electrical systems

·
Registered
182 Posts
8amps that's a fair old draw constant. Me personally wouldn't fit some thing with that output. You would have been better with a couple of aux led driving lamps. If your bikes under warranty you would have to consider not chopping wires. Also you may need a module to connect to the can bus system, unless you connect off the battery with a separate switch. Some of the other members have fitted add ons, they will give some input and there opinions.

·
Registered
289 Posts
According to the service manual for the 2013–15 models (as linked on this forum) the alternator provides 500W at 5,000 rpm. I do not know if that is different with later models, but the switch to LED stock lighting reduced the demand. I think the bike uses something like about 250W for lighting, pumps, fans etc. but that it is only from a memory of what I have read.

The accessory ports go though go through a 7.5A fuse, so it seems safe to assume there should be at least 90W available. But as it they are technically intended for Honda accessories the ports may only be cabled and fused to suit those needs, rather than that being the maximum available.

I too would love to know an explicit answer to how much excess capacity there is when idling, but I have never seen anything.

160W for LED lighting, though? That sounds equally amazing and totally blinding of other roads users. Even my dream is just something less than half of that being physically possible to fit on an 500F.

·
Super Moderator
712 Posts
Also you may need a module to connect to the can bus system, unless you connect off the battery with a separate switch.
According to the service manual for the 2013–15 models (as linked on this forum) the alternator provides 500W at 5,000 rpm. I do not know if that is different with later models, but the switch to LED stock lighting reduced the demand. I think the bike uses something like about 250W for lighting, pumps, fans etc. but that it is only from a memory of what I have read.

The accessory ports go though go through a 7.5A fuse, so it seems safe to assume there should be at least 90W available. But as it they are technically intended for Honda accessories the ports may only be cabled and fused to suit those needs, rather than that being the maximum available.
The 500 series bikes don't use CAN bus system, so that's one issue down.

Correct, the capacity of the generator hasn't changed over the years, it is rated at 503watts.
We've collected on another forum that the total comsumption of non-led bike on board systems were consumong some 180-ish watts, and LED models are down to 130-ish in that regard. Many are using heated gear plus aux lights and having no issue, so you're more than fine with the load you're planning ro run. Albeit 160w seems really massive.
Pre-19 bikes used 7.5A aux fuses, and new bikes use 10A on their aux circuits, what is inadequate for your load. I'd wire it in a way to use a relay on a circuit directly wired to the battery, and drive the relay from one of the option ports.
If you'd use a scene controller, you could run that monster on low power, and trigger full power picking up high beam signal from the front options plug.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The 500 series bikes don't use CAN bus system, so that's one issue down.

Correct, the capacity of the generator hasn't changed over the years, it is rated at 503watts.
We've collected on another forum that the total comsumption of non-led bike on board systems were consumong some 180-ish watts, and LED models are down to 130-ish in that regard. Many are using heated gear plus aux lights and having no issue, so you're more than fine with the load you're planning ro run. Albeit 160w seems really massive.
Pre-19 bikes used 7.5A aux fuses, and new bikes use 10A on their aux circuits, what is inadequate for your load. I'd wire it in a way to use a relay on a circuit directly wired to the battery, and drive the relay from one of the option ports.
If you'd use a scene controller, ypu could run that monster on low power, and teigger full power picking up high beam signal from the front options plug.
I stand to be corrected regarding the can bus.👍

·
Registered
289 Posts
Wow, that is a lot of excess capacity. I might have to pimp my bike out like a Goldwing, just need to work out where I can attach the toaster.

When I added some LEDs (which were killed by rain, but they were cheap with mixed review so I knew it was a risk) I also used a relay. One of the reasons was to avoid pulling the full power of the lights though a switch on the bars. Better a fraction of an amp than, especially, 8A.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts