Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of things made me wonder what people keep under their pillion seat, and as I wanted to attach my solar charger to my bike, I took some photos.

This is the first sight you see, a squidgy ziploc bag. You can also see my tiny disc lock and a mass of wires as part of a 12V socket wired directly to the battery to which I connect the solar charger.

The contents of that bag: a microfibre cloth that can be used to dry off mirrors etc., a first aid kit, a spare set of ear plugs, some latex (or nitrile) gloves, a torch, and a short USB adapater. There should also be a 12v to USB adapter in there, but that seems to have ended up in my top box's accessory bag.

Under the bag you get a better view of the disc lock and 12V socket, for which I probably need to remove most of the cable as it just wastes space. To the top right corner you can just see the ends of a pair of rok straps in case I need to suddenly attach so luggage to the pillion sea. The bag in the middle contains some gorilla tape and, out of view, a small roll of electrical tape. The bag above that are my tools.

Sockets and allen key bits for most parts other than the wheels, an extender, a fuse puller, and a manual tyre pressure gauge. I would say I am not sure why I carry that when I also have a digital one under my seat, only to suddenly realize it is not in any of the photos so as gone missing! It has either slid too far down the bike and is under the drivers seat, or in the box with my mini compressor. The separate allen key is for my mirrors risers, as he bolt does not seem compatible with either imperial or metric keys to be able to just carry a bit.

Underneath the tool bag is the handle from a screwdriver set, as sometimes that is better that the right angle one in the tool kit. Normally I would have the digital tyre pressure gauge beside it. What was seen in the previous photo was the puncture repair kit, which I cannot imagine ever using, particularly if I do not have my compressor with me to be able to re-inflate the tyre. Maybe better I keep them together instead, it is is a very tight fit for everything under the seat so removing it would make it fit better.

The stock tool kit is in the middle, with some cable ties bent around it. Finally an adjustable wrench just above the stock tool kit, and there is another one just out of shoot on the other side. There was a time my mirrors were always lose or never right, so I needed to carry two spanners to correct them.

·
Registered
396 Posts
All that’s under mine is my lock/chain.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have removed my puncture repair kit as it is useless taking it without anything to inflate the tyres, and no room under seat for that. Makes it much more roomy that I no longer have to press the seat down to lock it back up!

I can always carry the repair kit in luggage if I am taking the mini compressor too.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just a reminder, as you find more things to carry.. before you go down that "Rabbit Hole of No Return". Motorcycles have no doors and trunks... And that's good...I've never been asked to help 'move' my neighbor's junk. :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
1,283 Posts
Puncture repair kit, microfiber cloth, disc lock, small tool kit, power commander and PLX box. It's a tight fit and literally can only go in one way 😆

@someone did your kit not come with the CO2 bulbs?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, that kit does not include CO2. For a while I did carry some canisters under the seat from a bicycle set but they were a nuisance to fit with everything else, and the only time I tried to use them did not go so well.

As they do not screw onto the tyre put are pressed on the valve they just did not seem to work. Fortunately I was only a few streets from home, so was able to carefully get back and use a foot pump. My fault for not checking before leaving, I usually do a kick test but guess I forgot to that time.

But I have breakdown cover, so if on a day trip I can just call for someone to fix it for me, and worse case can be recovered back home. But if I am away from home I will take the compressor anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts