Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'll be pretty much putting a deposit down for a CBR500F soon I just have a few questions in mind. What are the differences between the three CBR500s. I've heard of them sharing the same chassis and all but besides that are there any significant differences like size, dimensions or even features?

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
that is a great diagram scisorro thanks, it clearly explains the size differences.
The other differences are: the suspension travel on cb500x is longer than cbr500 and cb500f so it means cb500x is better for some mild trails and bumps.
Also, cb500f and cb500x have upright positioning for rider.
And, cbr500 has two headlights:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's a nice comparison! Thank you!

In this digram, it looks like that the CBR500R and CB500F have the same handlebar height, and I belive that's not true...

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
that is a great diagram scisorro thanks, it clearly explains the size differences.
The other differences are: the suspension travel on cb500x is longer than cbr500 and cb500f so it means cb500x is better for some mild trails and bumps.
Also, cb500f and cb500x have upright positioning for rider.
And, cbr500 has two headlights:)
That is a good way to put it, I think the CBR500x is more of an all purpose bike compared to the other two. The CBR500F would be a standard bike with a full handle bar and slightly better position for comfortable riding than the CBR500R.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
It's a nice comparison! Thank you!

In this digram, it looks like that the CBR500R and CB500F have the same handlebar height, and I belive that's not true...
Great diagram indeed!

Yeah I think the CBR500f's handle bar height is slightly higher than the cbr500R for a more comfortable riding postion rather than a sportier low position compared to the CBR500R.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The cbr500r has one of the lowest seat heights in the sport bike category

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
cbr500 is really low.
i think cb500x is higher that the other two regardign seat and handle bar height but seat heights of cb500 and cbr500 are the same but not the handlebars.
cb500 handlebars are more upright and higher that cbr500r.

·
Registered
3 Posts
10 years ago a ride for some months with a honda VFR750 of a friend of mine. It's a nice bike, but I prefer an upper position. This cbr500r is smaller, so it should be more confortable than the classic "R"-bikes. But do you think that this difference would be huge, or just a small one? It would be a very nice bike for me but I have this "position" dobt...

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
difference between cbr500 and cb500f is not that huge but cb500f is easier and comfy to ride regarding the body position.
but i like the sport bike position as i feel more connected to the road and easier for me to control the bike and get feedback.
and i feel more comfortable on a cbr500r and of course wind protection is greater.

·
Registered
28 Posts
cbr500 is really low.
i think cb500x is higher that the other two regardign seat and handle bar height but seat heights of cb500 and cbr500 are the same but not the handlebars.
cb500 handlebars are more upright and higher that cbr500r.
need some 'r's and 'f's in this post!

I would like to know if the bar height is the same or different. The 500r has clip-ons whereas the 500f has a single "superbar"?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would like to know if the bar height is the same or different. The 500r has clip-ons whereas the 500f has a single "superbar"?

There are descriptions and riding position diagrams at the links below, but the only noticeable difference is that the figure on the CBR500R has bent his arms more. Straighten them out and they'd appear to be identical. :confused2 But the photos do give you a rough idea of the bar styles. Scroll down the page for the riding position diagrams

CBR500R

CB500F

Specs and photos only tell you so much though. The only way you can really know is to go and throw a leg over both of them and see what the true effect of any small component and positional differences are for your particular body shape and riding preferences. Personally, I find the CBR500R riding position comfortable and I mostly ride fairly upright.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i would like to know if there is any difference in lap times and cornering ability between these bikes.
i love my 'X' for commuting, motorways and will tour on it but am seriously tempted to buy an 'R' as well just as i miss the sheer fun of sports bikes and they way they handle....

on test rides i found the 'x' easier to tip in to bends but 2000+ miles later i think it may be an illusion and that it tips quickly but im not leaning over that far just higher up so it feels it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
i would like to know if there is any difference in lap times and cornering ability between these bikes.
i love my 'X' for commuting, motorways and will tour on it but am seriously tempted to buy an 'R' as well just as i miss the sheer fun of sports bikes and they way they handle....

on test rides i found the 'x' easier to tip in to bends but 2000+ miles later i think it may be an illusion and that it tips quickly but im not leaning over that far just higher up so it feels it.
I doubt there would be much difference. If I had the guess though I'd assume it would go R, X, F.

·
Registered
196 Posts

CBR500R - Middle weight sports bike
CB500F - Naked standard
CB500X - Adventure dual sport

The R and F is almost exactly the same. Except F's raised handlebar and lack of fairings. The X is slightly taller with more ground clearance for some light off-roading.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts