Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Motorcycle Vs Car. Which one is better for commuting?

With the prices of gas going up it has me thinking is a bike really the better commuter choice? What are your thoughts of this?

·
Registered
64 Posts
It depends on many factors.

Motorcycles can save you on gas and in some cities, free parking. The disadvantages are no cargo space, not very good for bad weather (ie. rain, snow, wind). And other impatient commuters who don't care if they run you over, so you better be on your toes.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Car. 100%.

Either too cold, hot, wet or icy. Getting gear on/taking it off, no where to carry beer on the way home. Get it ouf of garage, put it in. Total faff!!

Cars are the only way. Or a bicycle.

Just my opinion!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your back will also suffer by continuously leaning over. Over time, commuting with a bike will take the joy right out of it, especially if you travel through rush hour traffic.

After thinking about it, I would go with a car. And save the bike for weekends or after work.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I agree. Commuting is definitely better with a car. The comfort of a car can't be mistaken.

Now if your commute involves no traffic and your city is nice and dry most of the year. I'd say the bike would be the option that would bring more joy to you - probably not as much to your back though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think it largely depends on your commute. I rather do it by bike since i can cut through traffic....lane splitting, i know... and it's far more better on gas. I find driving to be a headache.

My commutes are an hour each way and I don't think it's that bad!

Have any of you guys experienced back pain from constantly riding an hour each way every day?

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Motorcycle all the way.
I am riding for 24 years now from age 11 and only bought one car in my life - a volkswagen beettle 1961 which came with a super offer nearly free and i sold it after 6 month of rare use -
Snow, rain etc do not affect me. I like to be in open air, i like to feel the weather. I like rain pouring on me. I feel like i am connected to this world on a bike.
I hate plasticky smell of cars and i feel like a caged animal in a car all the time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
bike all the way, half the price to run, more fun and no traffic issues on a bike.

Icy roads are the only ones i don't attempt and revert back to the car

·
Registered
175 Posts
this is really gonna depend on the car as much as the bike too. For poeple who believe that all bike will dave you money on gas is wrong. Whether its a 250cc or all the way to 1000cc. And if the car is a diesel, hybrid or conventional petrol. Theres too many variables to compare that matter unless you got a little bit specific.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bike works for me. Even with the faffing of putting gear on and off. It doesnt snow round here so no ice to deal with and a bit of rain is easy to deal with. Cheaper to run. Faster: lane split through the traffic which means 1.5hr trip takes 0.5 hr (and thats still being very cautious and getting out of the way of other bikes).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bike works for me. Even with the faffing of putting gear on and off. It doesnt snow round here so no ice to deal with and a bit of rain is easy to deal with. Cheaper to run. Faster: lane split through the traffic which means 1.5hr trip takes 0.5 hr (and thats still being very cautious and getting out of the way of other bikes).
Aww your lucky with out having to deal too much with snow and ice. Guess you can just ride all year round. And Where Im from lane splitting is illegal and it pisses a lot of people off. I guess they see it as not fair and getting pretty angry. But lane splitting i find is still dangerous. I think only in certain places where lane splitting works. But what about a smaller lane just built for motorcycles. That would be great wouldnt it?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Depends on the commute. I used to have a 20-25 minute ride that was mostly on a moderately twisty road with little traffic. Loved to do that on a bike. Now I have a 7 minute ride (not really a commute, I guess), so I rarely ride in.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Depends on the commute. I used to have a 20-25 minute ride that was mostly on a moderately twisty road with little traffic. Loved to do that on a bike. Now I have a 7 minute ride (not really a commute, I guess), so I rarely ride in.
Thats a good point you brought up on how it depends on the commute trip itself too. This is a really open ended discussions theres definitely a lot of variable to consider.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Of course a car is the better commuter. It's warm, cosy, and reasonably safe. But you ride because that's too easy, that's too comfortable, that's too convenient.
In Greek mythology the Titans ruled their universe with absolute power before the Titanomachy with the Olympians, where they were condemned to the realm of Tartarus.
The Cagers may be the Gods of the road. But we, we are the Titans.
And we shall face no such fate.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bike by far.
1) parking a motorcycle in perth is a third the price of a car, paying $6 not $18.
2) far quicker via lane splitting 15mins vs 40+ in the car.
3) far cheaper in fuel (i have a large 4wd).
4) I enjoy the trip rather than wanting to commit suicide.
I actually enjoy riding in the rain (no snow, and it doesn't really get too cold here). The only issue is the gear, but a gear sack is all you need.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Car. 100%.

Either too cold, hot, wet or icy. Getting gear on/taking it off, no where to carry beer on the way home. Get it ouf of garage, put it in. Total faff!!

Cars are the only way. Or a bicycle.

Just my opinion!!
BICYCLE! :confused: BS! I can carry a 32 oz and a 64 oz growler in my small tail bag!:) I have a touring bicycle! :p Bicycles are for children! :rolleyes:

The only thing I could agree with you is icy. I ride in 32 F to 100+ F weather. I avoid rain. The only time I don't ride is in snow and ice (I have ridden in both when the only transportation was my M/C).

You aren't much of a motorcyclist! :( Why are you here?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Motorcycle FTW .. I only drive when it's below 40 or if it's raining. I use a backpack to carry my lunches and such to work, and then throw my riding pants/jacket liner in there for the ride home if it was chilly enough to put it on in the morning.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Motorcycle Vs Car. Which one is better for commuting?

With the prices of gas going up it has me thinking is a bike really the better commuter choice? What are your thoughts of this?
Haha I love the picture. I'm saving it to my desktop.

I'm buying a motorcycle specifically for commuting. It saves on gas and easier to park.

I think the motorcycle makes for a superior commuter overall, but I would take a car if I had a lot to carry or if the weather wasn't very good.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am not surprised that so many of you prefer a car over a motorcycle for your daily commute. However, I am in Southern California where the sun shines almost year round so the nice weather makes the commute much more fun! The traffic is lame BUT it is way worse when I am in my car. I would rather get to work in 15 minutes as opposed to an hour. Lane Splitting ftw! I bought my motorcycle because the traffic in SoCal is horrid, but I love the weekends when I can ride without worrying about people constantly trying to kill me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts