Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

2321 - 2330 of 2330 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
It's 2° here, so I removed my under bike heater, put the bike outside and it's still gorgeous. Let it run for a few minutes and the Leo Vince still sounds sweet. Waiting for the lockdown to end so I thought phukit I will treat myself to a K&N air filter. Why because I was using them before most of you were born, it is close to my motorsport rootes, I might get a slight induction noise, I will feel faster even if I'm not, the sticker matches my bike, I don't want to remove the battery every 12,000 miles or so to fit a new honda one at £35 english pounds, I have some bragging rights lol, that's all I can think of atm. P.s it was £53 english pounds delivered.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I knew I was taking a risk, and I was not surprised I needed to hold the starter down for a minute for it to splutter to life. I definitely need to buy a solar trickle charger, something I have been meaning to do for a long while, to keep it in good health. It was the original reason I installed a 12v socket direct to the battery under the pillion seat.

Nice to ride it, even if only for a very short distance, in rain, and then getting lost in my own neighbourhood. Nicer still, I have now had my first dose of Covid vaccine. So as long as everyone else behaves so the restrictions can be relaxed, I will be safe to have a summer of riding this year instead of being stuck indoors.

And I do not know what the mechanics used on my chain when they serviced along it with the MOT. Despite a month of being sat out in rain it still looks shiner and newer than when I installed it, with no sign of wax or lube on it.
Look into a Lithium Ion battery they can sit for over a year without losing a charge. Probably about $30 to $40 more than lead batteries but you will spend that much on a quality trickle charger.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Trickle chargers, good ones, are around $40 (bad ones cheaper), it's marginal. I'm not going to replace my stock new battery until it's bad, 6+ years or so based on nighly trickle charger running on it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Rather than a new battery, I am hoping the Covid vaccine will help my bike from me able to ride it to keep the battery charged. And I am the same as ksandvik in not wanting to replace the battery until it goes bad.

However I did buy a solar trickle charger, £22 on Amazon (so just under US$20) which had good reviews. But between freezing weather and waiting for some vaccine immunity I have not been able to use it yet, as I would need to remove the battery to bring it in and properly recharge it first. Besides, although the panel is supposed to be weather proof, it is best not to challenge by how much right away!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Trickle chargers, good ones, are around $40 (bad ones cheaper), it's marginal. I'm not going to replace my stock new battery until it's bad, 6+ years or so based on nighly trickle charger running on it.
Huum, you can't do that! All that chargen'll burn that battry plume up. I no that's right. cause I seen it on the enternets. :cautious:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Has no one been doing anything with their bikes?

Apparently the government here will be extending the shielding programme to March 31st, although I am not due my second vaccine dose until early April anyway. So my bike is still not going anywhere for another couple months yet.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sun has been out today, that's a first for 3 months. So I thought I would fit my 14T front sprocket. It wasn't listed for a19 but it fits ok, should be fitted the correct way round. It makes the chain run a bit close to the chain slider, so I will keep an eye on it. If I am happy with it I may consider changing the rear sprocket for a 44T but I don't think you can do that on the standard chain. The government are going to give us a calendar of events for the following months regarding freeing up the lockdown. My bikes on the stand ready with the engine running in gear so I can jump on and ride off into the sunset lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Today I fitted a tail bag to carry my drone with me. Cheap Aldi bag I have had for over a year and never used it but works well.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Today I fitted a tail bag to carry my drone with me. Cheap Aldi bag I have had for over a year and never used it but works well.
Mate, you'll have to translate that one for me.. in case I'm missing something I should be aware of. I get the tail bag part.. and I'm assuming you enjoy your drone and take it to different places to fly it. But, since I'm usually somewhere between lost and found... it's entirely possible I'm nowhere close to right. :whistle:

·
Registered
495 Posts
My first tank bag was from Aldi, but after using it I was very disappointed because they have never sold a bigger version of it. It is a great bag, just sometimes smaller than I needed. And it stayed waterproof even without using the rain cover.

They used to always do a biker range in the middle of March, so I checked it every year just to see if they had a better bag. Nope. Not that it matters now I have hard luggage.

My second helmet, incidentally, was from Lidl, had an accident in it, and was fine. My first helmet was free with my C.B.T. ( the basic training you need to complete to ride on a learner's permit) but one day the visor was just covered in cracks on the surface. Strange. But as the Lidl helmets were so cheap I had bought one to keep as a spare. Despite the price it was ECE 22.05 certified, but it would have been illegal to sell otherwise. So I switched to using that and laziness (and that I was only riding a 125 slowly) meant I never bought a proper replacement until after my head it the road. Caught a patch of mud going ride a tight corner, so not too fast and the bike just slid over. Broke my elbow, but my head was fine! So overall I am happy to trust Aldi and Lidl products. That said, I guess the quality of helmets given away free by a training school were probably no better quality.

2321 - 2330 of 2330 Posts