Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 2330 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Not conflicting. Just telling you to keep excursions to essential travel or healthy activities. In other words, don't go to the bar/pub. :p

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have done nothing to my bike, despite the ring terminals I needed arriving a week ago. I have just lacked the motivation and the weather has been such that you never know whether it will rain, bright sunshine, or somewhere in between.

The government sent me an MOT reminder, with a link asking for my comments on the service (of them just sending a text message) so I gave them an angry response about the government asking me to do something against its own advice.

The seven-day average is around 400 deaths per day at the moment, so I think I will wait before sorting out an MOT even if it means I cannot ride for a while. Although the current restrictions are supposed to end on December 2nd, I have no confidence to say they will not be replaced by something similar, if not extended. The priority seems to be to save Christmas, so the plan will be to get all the levels as low as possible before mid-December. But because of that I do not even want to book anything now until I know I will be able to attend.

Instead I have been working on my route planning site. Many years ago I just wanted to be able to make GPX files for routes I designed, by just placing markers on a map. At the time everything was more geared to entering a start, finish location with waypoints for stops. So I made my own planner using Google's APIs to calculate the route between the markers. It has never been anywhere near suitable to let other people use it, and because it works for my needs I never do anything about it completing it. Unless I run into a problem and feel I need to fix it or add a feature. So that has become my second lockdown project, fitting an undo/redo system to it.

And better to be doing that than planning routes when I cannot ride. I still have ones I made last year that I never got to do this summer. It is so strange to think it is only about a month to the shortest day of the year. Especially after buying lights to, hopefully, allow me to ride in the dark but still not having fitted them. The sun will not rise until after 8am and will set before 4pm, so without them that does not leave much riding time for a good day out. I much prefer ones where I can set off at 5am and not getting home until nearer 10 pm.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was thinking about getting a GPS, but it's a mental exercise to look at Google Maps on the phone before taking a 300+ mile trip or so and memorize the route. Otherwise I have the 'Itchy boots' mentality, "off we go" and see what happens, a little bit pre-planning but the journey itself is the fun.

·
Registered
491 Posts
It depends on the type of route and the area you are riding. I can still get easily lost with one because there are plenty of B roads where in a village you have to turn off down random residential streets that may not be clearly signed, but even with the verbal instruction it is not obvious which street you are supposed to take. Even more major A roads there are places you need you to know where to turn off to stay on that route and which can be easily missed.

When I was firstly learning to ride I rode around local streets in my neighbourhood in London early on weekend mornings. To make that interesting I started planning to ride on different numbered roads and cross them off as I road them. As I gradually extended farther out I kept doing that, and so that just became a hobby in its own right. So now planning my trips are as much about adding new roads as it is we I end up to spend time off the bike.

The nature of British roads and the way I plan my trips it would be impossible to remember a whole route.

These is my map for checking off the numbered roads I have ridden on, either on a day trip or visiting my dad. The coloured ones have been completed in at least one direction (and at most two directions, as we have to obey the laws of physics) and the black ones I have only ridden parts of. The colours are arbitrary to represent the numbered zones. There are very few roads I have not ridden in the 2 zone (light blue) as it is both nearest to me in south London, and it is the only one physically possible to complete in day trips from here.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Some of the places here in California are also bewildering, I must confess I drove across most of Sacramento last Saturday with no GPS to a point where I had to stop and re-assign where I was with my iPhone and direct myself to hwy 160. But then again no preplanned route and it worked just fine. Each are different. I rather enjoy the ride than worry about routes myself.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I finally got around to making a cable for the accessories directly wired to the battery: top box, alarm, and pillion seat 12V socket. It has tided things up a lot under the seat. Not great, but nothing stretched over the battery etc. now.

I still need to sort out the wiring for fitting the auxiliary lights and switches. That will require two mini relays, which will fit on the right side of the photo, opposite the one to the left. Part of doing that will also to attach the cable for the heated gloves (the one dangling off the bike to the right of the photo) to the switched output from the relay rather than being directly wired to the battery.

So now I need to work out how to wire up the relay blocks to work the way I want, which is the annoying fiddly part. Which is why I took the photo, so I can see what space i have and work out where all the extra cable can go.

I also tried attaching the straps for the smaller air cushion, but struggled to find a suitable way of keeping them in position with the cushion removed. It needs a piece of elastic between the clips across the top of the seat to stop the straps 'pinging' under the seat. I did that with the old ones, but it left a know in the middle of the seat, but I want to keep it flat so you can ride comfortably without the cushion when only making short trips in town.

Nothing I tired while outside worked. but I think I have come up with something now. However it is too dark to go out and measure and check it, so it will wait until I am ready to complete the wiring work.

It was nice to visit the bike again, though! The government should be announcing its post-lockdown and Christmas plans tomorrow, so hopefully after that I will know for when and if I will be able to book a service and MOT.

·
Registered
491 Posts
One day before the lockdown ends the government have finally emailed me to explain what the new rules will be. Which made me realize, as of midnight it will be illegal for me to ride my bike until it passes its physical.

The new rules are: Unlike the guidance that has been in place since 5 November, we are no longer advising you to stay away from work or school. However, you should continue to keep the number of social interactions that you have low and try to reduce the amount of time you spend in settings where you are unable to maintain social distancing.

So I better get an MOT and service booked as there is no reason not to. Although I have decided to stay at home for Christmas rather than visit family, despite a slight exception to the rules that will allow three households to stay together for the Christmas period. So depending on the weather I may not even ride my bike in December anyway, legal or not.

But it would be a shame if I am unable to make my now annual New Year's Day ride to Lulworth Cove. Although if the weather is okay that can be busy, so maybe best to skip it anyway but this year it was damp.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Is no one doing anything or going anywhere interesting with their bikes?

Today what I did with mine was not fall off it. Collected it this morning after a service and MOT yesterday. It had that weird feeling where the controls all felt different yet perfect, A shame I could not go on a proper ride to take advantage. It was sunny, but it had rained earlier and as I was getting closer to home I was noticing lots of rainbows on the road to avoid. Which I did.

But queuing at a left-turn junction less than a mile from home, when I set off the front wheel seemed to want to go in every direction at once. Managed to control it, but then it wobbled a few more times before the turn, which I took very carefully. And that was only yo lead me to a right-turn junction, Another careful turn, and another wobble after it. But then a nice straight bit which seemed to scrub the tyre clean.

But now, two weeks after the last Covid lockdown, my bike is all legal to ride again. Just in time for London being put in the highest tier of restrictions tomorrow. Under those you are not supposed to make unnecessary journeys, nor go into less strictly restricted areas unless essential, although it is not legally restricted.

Which is besides that I am supposed to stay at home as much as possible because of being extremely vulnerable to Covid. I am in level four for vaccination, behind medical staff, care homes, and those aged 75 and over. So I do not know when it will be my turn, but I think there are about five million people ahead of me. But also just over five million people in level four, which 70–74 year olds and the extremely vulnerable.

If the weather stays good I can finally get around to sorting out installing those lights I bought during the summer in the first lockdown! And will need to ask a Honda dealer whether they might be able to fix my grips without it costing a fortune, if not they will have to be replaced by alternative ones. Today would probably have ben quite horrible outside of town on a faster road.

·
Registered
491 Posts
My biking year is almost certainly over as we have a new and more-infectious version of Covid-19 in the U.K. So London and surrounding areas are immediately being put into tier four restrictions out of England's three-tier system.

Basically a stay at home order for non-essential purposes, illegal to leave tier four without a necessary reason, and also means no one in and around London are allowed to meet up for Christmas. Not that I was going to risk that anyway. My sister lives just outside tier four, but she already cancelled my dad visiting because my niece and nephew have had to isolate as a precaution because of contacts at school.

By the end of March I had ridden 2,762 miles, compared to just 1,056 miles by the same time last year. But then nothing at all October, after which just another 1,381 through to my MOT last week. A total of 4,143 miles for 2020 in in total. Last year I rode 4,708 miles by the end of May, 2,943 miles in August alone, and a total of 20,708 miles in 2020.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Started it. According to the USB sockets, which have a meter included, the battery is only 11.0 volts.

Although the USB sockets also have a power button, and I had to hold it down for them to work, which is annoying because they are relatively new, though I probably should not have physically turned them off as they are on switched connection anyway.

Decided to risk that the bike will start tomorrow rather than removing the battery to charge it, which is what I was testing for. Covid-19 rates in London are 1-in-30 right now so there is only one reason that will get me outdoors, let alone on the bike, and that is a trip to the vaccination centre. So the bloody thing better start!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I knew I was taking a risk, and I was not surprised I needed to hold the starter down for a minute for it to splutter to life. I definitely need to buy a solar trickle charger, something I have been meaning to do for a long while, to keep it in good health. It was the original reason I installed a 12v socket direct to the battery under the pillion seat.

Nice to ride it, even if only for a very short distance, in rain, and then getting lost in my own neighbourhood. Nicer still, I have now had my first dose of Covid vaccine. So as long as everyone else behaves so the restrictions can be relaxed, I will be safe to have a summer of riding this year instead of being stuck indoors.

And I do not know what the mechanics used on my chain when they serviced along it with the MOT. Despite a month of being sat out in rain it still looks shiner and newer than when I installed it, with no sign of wax or lube on it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes you get good trickle chargers for $50 or so (don't get the really cheap ones, just break within months). And it's pretty easy to install the cables. I routed mine to the pillion seat so I only open that up and connect it after a ride. This should keep your battery in shape for 4+ years. As a plus you could connect an USB interface to the charger cable inside the bike for emergency mobile phone charging and other uses like routing USB cables to the front.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Because of where I have to park my bike I have no electrical access, which is why I wanted to install a solar one, that can be strapped to the seat. I did look into the options but just never did anything at the time. So whenever my battery goes too low then I need to bring it indoors, though I have only neede do do that a couple of times.

I am not sure why it drains so much. There is only an alarm that is powered when the bike is off, and I do not need to activate that when at home. That said, my last proper ride was on November 4th, with just two short rides to a local mechanic in between, and the weather has been cold. So not the best conditions for a battery.

Good to know. We can't seem to figure out how to do it.
Out vaccination strategy is set by an independent scientific committee which, in England, the government is legally required to follow. So at the moment there is a big effort to vaccinate the four groups which account for 80% of Covid deaths.

Although I am in the fourth group, they are still on the first two, which are over 80s and frontline health and care staff. But my local centre has enough vaccine they could offer it to me now too. It only makes a difference of a month or two, but having worked out that since the first lockdown last March I have only been out of my home seven times for non-medical reasons (and two of those were dropping off and collecting my bike from its MOT), avoiding an extra month trapped indoors is quite a difference.

Once those of us at most risk of needing medical help are protected, the health system should be able to cope so restrictions can be reduced before everyone else gets vaccinated. And hopefully I can properly ride my bike again. I would start planning trips, but we will probably then have the wettest summer on record, or something. When we first went into a lockdown last summer was quite a bit sunnier than average.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Our vaccine roll-out has been disappointing. We seem to have lost touch with reality here in the Divided States.
'Let's rush to develop and approve a vaccine, and... Oh, maybe until then, we should develop a plan for how to supply and distribute the final product? Naah, we'll figure it out later'.
Truly unbelievable... and sad. We'll get it worked out. eventually... even if we're a little late to the party.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a feeling your federal pandemic response will significantly improve after the 20th, so hopefully they will be able to get some control of the situation.

Our government is not to dissimilar to yours, effectively putting the economy ahead of public health. The main difference is that there is a still point after which things get so bad that our government will reluctantly take action. Which is why there is such an emphasis from them on vaccinating the vulnerable groups quickly, not because it is the right thing to do but that it will let them reopen the economy sooner. But even then, they are still seeming to be making up the implementation as they go along.

I am glad I am not having to ride today, though, as that injection has left my arm feeling very sore today. Maybe something for others to consider planning around when they get their opportunity.

Bike related, I did pick out a solar trickle charger on Amazon, it is a cheap non-branded one but has good reviews, protection from discharging the battery overnight, and weather proof. The only branded item was an Oxford one that does not seem much different in quality. Now I just want to also pick out a soundbar for my TV, as mine died yesterday, before ordering it. Sound direct from the TV, urgh!

·
Registered
4 Posts
[QUOTE = "Darrenbie, publicación: 14477, miembro: 1113"]
No sé si alguien ya inició un hilo sobre este tema en este foro. Fue muy popular en el foro cbr250r.net.

Háganos saber lo que le hizo a su bicicleta hoy. Mods, viajes, mantenimiento, comprados, intercambiados, etc.
[/CITAR]
Yo, la verdad es que tengo CBR500R desde hace ya 3 años, y es fantástica, buena calidad a buen precio, y un mantenimiento muy sencillo. he publicado varios vídeos donde muestro los cambios y modificaciones que le he hecho a día de hoy, viajes, y lo último que le hice yo mismo, fué el cambio de Kit de arrastre .. here os dejo un detalle importante que no viene en el manual de Honda cbr500r de la moto, y es el par de apriete de los pernos de la CORONA , estos van a 68 Nm , Y el del PIÑÓN A 54 Nm.

PUEDES VER MAS VÍDEOS DE MI HONDA CBR500R AQUÍ 👉

·
Registered
491 Posts
Although the USB sockets also have a power button, and I had to hold it down for them to work, which is annoying because they are relatively new, though I probably should not have physically turned them off as they are on switched connection anyway.
I just went to put my rubbish in the bins ("take out the trash"), something I do very late at night just to avoid meeting anyone whilst in isolation. On the way back in I noticed a red glow coming from my bike.

It seems I definitely will need to remove and properly charge the battery now. I did not turn off the USB ports so that have been powered since Wednesday, so the glow coming from the power switch and the voltage display.

But I did not have to turn them off, they are wired to the battery via a relay, which is powered by the option port. And the bike was definitely not powered. So that is not good.

My G.P.S. cradle is also wired through the relay, so I will need to check if that also has power. It could be a problem with the option port, somehow? If they are malfunctioning then maybe it could explain why the heated grips died? Once I come out of isolation I am going to contact a Honda dealer to see if it is worth them looking at those, or whether a repair would just be too expensive and I will be better just getting some Oxford grips.

However my best guess is that when the bike was serviced and MOTed, they took the wiring apart and put it back together incorrectly. My trip to the vaccine hub was the only time I have touched the bike since then, so I have had no chance to spot anything. But that that will have to wait until late next week, as by then I should have some good Covid immunity from the first vaccine shot to risk working outside where I may meet "other people."

2301 - 2320 of 2330 Posts