Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

2281 - 2300 of 2307 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
You shouldn't need to avoid riding to remain safe during the pandemic (unless you're in a congested metro region maybe; you Southern Ontarians keep your disease down South! ;)). If you're in Nova Scotia I imagine it can't be too congested to ride safely. Just wear a mask if you need to go inside to pay for gasoline. Otherwise, there's really nothing stopping you from riding unless the province passed a ban on it or something. That does little good for this season, but there's always next season! Unless of course you're vulnerable due to a weakened immune system (or are caring for somebody that is). I'm not active enough to keep everybody's stories straight. If you're vulnerable do take the necessary precautions. Glad you touched in anyway! :D
It is weak immune system.I avoid people as much as i can.Most places were not even taking cash and i wont don't have a credit card/debit, im a old man that only uses cash.

·
Registered
442 Posts
With cases and deaths rising and restrictions continuing to increase in the U.K. I am starting to think about whether I should still be riding, as I am in what our government classes as "extremely vulnerable." Normally I can go out for a days riding and wandering and not interact with anyone, but people have spoken to me on my last two rides so it suddenly seems less solitary.

And where I have been no one else is wearing a mask outside, which kind-of seems weird even though there is no advice to do so. But on my High Street here in London most people are wearing them. Possibly because most of them will be going into shops or to catch buses, but it does feel like it is taken a little more seriously here. Instead of just putting them on when they enter somewhere they just keep them on the whole time out of home.

Not that it matters at the moment as the forecast is just constant rain at the moment, so it is not fun for leisure riding anyway.

The place where I bought my heated glove liners have a half price sale at the moment, so I bought another pair which arrived today. These are wired rather than battery ones, so should be a lot better. At least this will not stop working after a few hours. Although they are slightly padded on the back of the hand, so a slightly thicker fit inside gloves. Hopefully I will still get the heated grips fixed, or if necessary replaced, but for £49 it seemed good to have as an extra option.

Also today I finally got around to extending the cables on the LED lights I bought, something I had not yet done because l cannot install them until the ring terminals arrive. The post seems to be getting slower, which is surely a sign of how bad the covid situation is. Not that I will be taking the seat off to install anything until the weather is a bit dryer anyway. So much heat shrinking, and I am sure the solder in the butt connectors do not melt but it is all held together by it melding with the insulation.

If the lights are any good, which is still unproven until I can ride with them, then maybe the only safe time to go out will be at night. Although there is plenty of that, with it now already getting dark by 5pm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's extremely unlikely that you will get Covid-19 when driving, 24 hours a day. The virus transmits through air from another person, but it does not move around with the virus all over. You need to be careful when interacting with people, handling money, gas station equipment and so on.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Those are the problem parts as I normally break up my rides to walk around a beach or scenic area etc. so avoiding people becomes difficult. And most of the people I have encountered so far have not been wearing masks.

If I just go on a ride without stops then it limits how far I can go for the riding to still be fun, and the more fun riding is not local. For anywhere north of London it can take an hour just to cross and leave the city. Besides, with arthritis it is good to get off the bike anyway.

But I feel sure at some point the government will have to reactivate shielding at some point soon anyway, probably as a reason they can avoid a full lockdown. From the first lockdown in March to the end of August people were extremely vulnerable, those with specific medical conditions, were asked to isolate. Those who were just vulnerable like the elderly and more general health conditions only had to be more careful.

I am extremely vulnerable as I am immunosuppressed for the arthritis as well as having a chronic lung disease. Plus I am diabetic which, though classed in the lesser vulnerable category, my doctors counted it as another reason to shield because it is a significant co-morbidity.

Shielding was not a requirement, but most of us agreed with it, more to avoid wasting medical resources, and were very sceptical when it was suspended. So since then I have only been on three rides (because it took a while to get my bike road ready), visited my dad once (now impossible as it is illegal for me to stay over), and otherwise only been out for medical appointments.

When the lockdown ended I did consider just going out on rides, but decided against it because of how difficult it would have been to avoid contact with anyone. Even if only stopping at petrol stations.

You can see the U.K. data on the page below. The cases are obviously misleading because there is more testing now, but the deaths graph clearly show the rate increasing again. It is not as sharp as before, but we are now already at around the same level as when the lockdown began in spring. And that is despite various other measures now in place, including second lockdowns in Wales and Northern Ireland.

As much as the government want to prioritize the economy, at some point they will have to do something to stop the health system being overwhelmed.

·
Registered
442 Posts
You are going to need to get an public health system first!

I recently explained the time I broke my elbow on my bike. I just walked into A&E (the E.R.) and then kept getting tests and referrals just as a precaution, until they realized I needed an operation. I was conscious of how horrific the cost of that must have sounded to Americans as the doctors did not think there was anything wrong.

And normally the operation is just a day procedure, but because I was diabetic they made me stay overnight too. No idea how much any of that experience cost the hospital (which was the same one that treated the Prime Minister when he had Covid earlier this year) because it was all entirely free to me

But that is why protecting the health system is such a big issue here. You can still get insurance or pay for procedures at private hospitals, but the public system is there for everyone and is the first call in an emergency. Access to health care for anyone is a fundamental right. So if the system becomes overwhelmed it is not just about the rise in deaths, from Covid and otherwise, but a failure of the duties of the state to protect our rights. Protecting it is a political necessity, even for a government which defends not feeding children.

The weather looks like the rain will stop and it will turn sunny on Tuesday, with a high of 50 °F / 10 °C, so I may have to consider a midweek ride to take advantage whilst I can. Maybe also wire the new heated glove liners to the battery do I can try them out. It comes ready to install that way, but obviously I would rather put it on a switched circuit when my custom wiring is done.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maybe we should stick to the topic of this thread -- what was done to our cb500 bikes today. I should get mine back this afternoon, 600 mile service done and T-Rex frame sliders installed.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Here are the T-Rex sliders installed on my 2019 cb500f. I let the technician install them as this bike is still under warranty and the bolts for the engine has to be tightened with the right torque. The service place told me they use a lot of T-Rex parts and like those. I'm 5 feet 9 inches (177cm) and the knees are not touching at all the frame sliders. But they stick far out to cover the most critical parts of the bike.

These are really only for slow speed or no-speed drops, doubt they are useful with faster speeds. But adding those in case there's a drop would save me costs compared with replacing plastics and worst case the engine parts.

Not sure if you get T-Rex parts in Europe, though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you wondered about the paper under the bike in the picture above, paranoid me wants to make sure the bolts from the oil change were tightened correctly and not leaking, not fun if you take off for a long week ride next Monday and oil is leaking.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I may have to consider a midweek ride to take advantage whilst I can.
My idea of going for a ride on Wednesday now seems a lot less likely. I probably should have just listened to my own predictions.

"Boris Johnson is preparing to introduce national lockdown restrictions from next Wednesday… They discussed new NHS data which shows hospitals are being overwhelmed. Ministers left feeling they have no choice but to implement national restrictions… PM said to be very reluctant to move to national lockdown restrictions but data has left him and other ministers feeling like there’s no choice."

From a Time journalist at but clearly an off-the-record briefing. The government does that a lot.

Maybe we should stick to the topic of this thread -- what was done to our cb500 bikes today.
No need. As I said previously on the thread it is nice to discuss the wider issues too. Our bikes are an extension of their rider, not the other way around, so all these other things are what determine what we do to them and when, where, and how we ride. Plus it is just a good way for us all to get to know each other.

By the end of October last year I had ridden 17,971 miles with 2,806 miles in October alone. This year I have only ridden 3,966 miles in total, all because of Covid. And it is because of that I needed to do so much maintenance to get it back on the road. So as an issue it is impossible to ignore how much impact it has had on everything to do with my bike.

In fact I got a reminder text message today that my MOT is due at the end of November. That is an annual road worthiness test that all vehicles must complete. It was originally due at the end of May, I guess, but any certificate which was due to end during the first lockdown was given a six month extension. So I am not sure what will happen now with a November lockdown too.

Without another extension it would mean I will not be able to ride until I have been able to book one, and hopefully pass. I am just a little worried after so little riding this year. I did want to get it booked in first for a service, I can do the little jobs but getting to the spark plugs is just too much hassle so may as well let a mechanic go over it. And I am not sure about the front brake pads, although at worst they should only be a warning and not a fail.

Anyway, I think you are right about T-Rex products not being available here, I have never seen them advertised anywhere. I used to have the R&G sliders, which were roughly in the same shape and position but mounted differently, instead replacing the lower front engine mounting bolt.

I am not sure if the difference with yours is just product design or forced by changes to the bike, as mine is a 2016, but I prefer the mount of yours. One day I got home to find my left slider missing, and the end of the bolt stuck in the engine, which lead to a big effort to get it safely removed. Those T-Rex ones look like nothing like that would even be possible.

But I lacked confidence in mine to replace them on my bike, so have now fitted SW-Motech crash bars instead. They should not break in the same way, and should offer better protection, whilst they also provide a useful mount point for extra lighting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
OK. But I will just post of what's done to my bike as per the title in this thread. Not really much I need to do for a longer trip next week. Will test if I need a short windscreen for the obligatory 'oh no need to ride 20 miles on a fast highway' parts or not. Or then need it as the LCD screen is not well visible in direct sunlight and a tinted windscreen could work as a 'visor'. Or anything else needed for longer trips around California, maybe a GPS at some point.

A battery tender unit is cool to install soon, too, to extend the battery lifetime 2x or more. Might at well as the battery tender cable-to-USB plug then, too, for emergency charging of iPhones.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Absolutely, you should not feel you need to post anything you do not want to. And I would definitely recommend a screen. I bought mine with a touring one already installed, so do not know what it is like to ride this bike without one, but I still get some buffering high up at times to know it is definitely making a difference.

Although it would be a downgrade, I was recently looking at the Puig Naked New Generation Sport screen as it uses the same mount as the instrument panel to fix to the bike. It is the only larger screen I have seen which does not use arms to mount on the bars. Something I do not like as I find they get in the way, but maybe that is due to having too many other accessories on them!

But I probably will not do anything unless I really have to because it is an unnecessary expense, and a slightly smaller screen can only make things slightly worse. And it may need a universal deflector, but I am worried it may not be able to hold the extra weight with the mount down low, assuming one even fits

Much like how the forks recess into the cowling making it difficult to add auxiliary lighting, with the limited screen mounting options it feels as though Honda has done a good job of trying to ensure the bike stays as naked as possible.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had the Puig on my 13’ F and it did help. At low speeds the difference was very noticeable and at higher speeds it did not seem as affective, that is until I removed it and rode 90 miles on the highway without it. Then I realized just how much it helped.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes for me the only reason is highway driving to help with some buffeting around 80 mph (need to drive that fast here in California to stay in the flow). I know end next week how much trouble I had with highways in south-east California.

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is the screen which my bike came with, the clear version:

If ksandvik does not mind something mounted on the bars, there are a lot of options at all different sizes. But the model-specific Puig one also comes in a shorter version if a more sporty style is preferred.

Anyway, some people in my neighbourhood said on Twitter today that have been having delays of up to four-weeks waiting on their post, with the problem apparently being at the regional mail centre. So I guess I should not expect the thing I need so I can work on my bike arriving anytime soon. Instead the only thing I did to it today was disable the alarm, as the rain kept setting it off. I really wanted to cover it, as I never did when I got back from riding a week ago, but there has not been enough time between spells of rain for it to dry out.

And more news has leaked about England going into lockdown, apparently it will now start from Thursday. So maybe I will be able to get in one last day of riding on Wednesday, when the forecast is for clear skies all day. It probably depends on how safe I feel at the time. The Prime Minister should be holding a briefing in an hour (although it has been pushed back twice already) so we will find out then.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Learned a lesson.

As intended, I temporarily installed the cabling for the heated glove liners direct to the battery. They seem to work okay.

I also checked to see how the bike is fairing in the weather. A bit of rust with the known problem pegs and bolts, but not too much. And the parts I protected with ACF-50 last time still look good.

There were signs of rust on the chain rollers though. Not the worst problem, as it will get worn away by riding, but despite the chain oiler I may need to use some lube for protection over winter when the bike will go more than a week without being ridden.

But I also noticed the chain was very loose, it had enough give to hit the top of the swing arm. Not good at the best of times, less so when I have an oil tube and clips fastened to it. But when I installed it the Honda chain gauge was not even in the green section yet, so I was expecting this.

So I tightened the chain, all very straightforward. But given the condition of it, and that I will hopefully go out on Wednesday, I decided to give it some oil by running the engine for a few minutes and letting the system work.

It was the first time I get to see if it actually works. When installing you just let the oil run through, and then I have only used it when the bike is moving, so the oil gets spread out rather than dripping on the same spot on the chain then onto the road.

It definitely works, constant drips of oil for the length of the pressure in the system, as set by turning the canister. However when I stopped the bike there seemed to be more oil on the outside of the plates than the inside and the rollers.

I positioned the tube to drip on the sprocket based on reading and watching reviews where I got the impression that is where it works best. But it seems not, and it will need pulling farther back so it drips directly onto the rollers just in front of the sprocket. Hopefully I can just reposition the arm and pull back the tubing rather than have to physically remove and replace the assembly.

Lesson learned.

Hopefully I can go out or Wednesday as the weather still looks very good. But with that continuing into the lockdown I can give the bike a good clean then, including the chain. I will also give it a lube as it will not be used after that for at least a month.

·
Registered
442 Posts

It seems crazy that something tiny and cheap that I ordered from Leeds on October 22nd has still not arrived, yet something much larger that I ordered from China on the following day arrived yesterday. And that was not even due for at least another week.

It will be interesting to see how well they work in practice keeping the wind away, but fitting was straight forward despite my fears about my non-standard setup.

Leaves everywhere.

There is a lot going on with my mirror mounts now. On the right there is the hand guard, the anti-vibration but, the USB/12V socket mount, the mirror extender, and the mirror itself. The mirror extended was the only difficult part, as the photo is misleading and it had to be positioned just right to keep them apart.

The guard has enough flex and is bolted to a metal arm which sits on the mirror arm, so it gives two points to all allow some adjustment. Which was helpful as when I first installed it the mirror extender would not sit out far enough, so I had to loosen it and pull it out a little.

Will have to ride it to be sure, but sitting on the bike to position the mirrors it still felt like they were not reaching outside enough. But the ones I use are only to push them out and wide rather than raise them, which is being done by the anti-vibration nut anyway. So maybe some standard arms to help lift them over the guard will help.

How much can you mod a hand grip. A throttle lock, a palm rest, a hand guard, the anti-vibration bolt and extender on the mirror mount, the oil canister to the side, and not to mention you can just see the light mount on the crash bars.

But you can see the effect of reusing the Honda bar ends on third-party bars, on this side leaving a large gap between the bar end and anchor inside. That was why I was worried the guards may not fit, but I guess the amount of flex made a difference here too. Thankfully I was able to use the bolts I had already cut down to size for the anchors. Maybe if I let some oil penetrate the anchor I may be able to move it further inside the bar, to match the left one, so the end recesses more. Though it works, so why risking making it worse!

The right mirror mount arm is suppose to go between the two throttle cables, but because of the bars risers it was pulling the top one too taut at full lock to the left. So I positioned it above instead, which did not seem to be a problem.

I also had a look at the position of the arm of the oiler to see if I could reposition it, but sadly not. I had fastened the main part so it pointed away from the bike, so the tube would then angle back in and onto the sprocket. So that will need more work to cut away the permanent mounting tape, cleaning the swing arm, them reposition it facing inwards and further forwards.

That is what I did to my bike today.

Once I put the enormous 5" lights on the lighting mounts the front of the bike will be completely unrecognizable from Honda's clean and simple naked commuter model. Neither a 500F or a 500X, but more a 500Y?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Rode it, tested some things.

The heated glove liners — they work but with the gloves they are too thick. Though when I later rode without them they mad my gloves seem too thin and loose! A nice option to have, but not ideal for regular use.

The hand guards — combined with working heated grips they would be great. My levers point down so the ends of my fingers when covering them drop below the guard, and the difference they made was very noticeable. Definitely recommend them so far.

Camera windshield — I have a helmet mounted drift camera and the wind noise is horrible. So I discovered you can get tiny stick on windshields for small camera microphones. Just a tiny fluffy disc. It did not get rid of the wind sound, but it did make it sounds like wind and not a horrid rumble. And at lower speeds you could hear the bike and other noises. But for the fact I never do anything with my video, I already consider them essential.

Overall it was an odd day. I was on a country road, enclosed on both sides, and stuck in a queue. When it finally got around a corner I was able to filter to the front. Apparently there was a wide load ahead coming out way, so we would all have to turn around. Or in the case of lorries, with no space to turn, go all the way back in reverse.

Heading the other way my G.P.S. told me to turn onto a side road, and I naïvely assumed it knew the road was blocked so was giving me an alternative route. No, it was just taking me somewhere to do a u-turn so I could head back to the obstruction. So I found myself on some proper country tracks. Past farms where the road is just mud, down narrow lanes that are are really just paths, covered with gravel that never gets cleared due to a lack of traffic.

I just kept riding with no idea whereI was going until I ended up on a major road again. London was almost as bad coming home. Traffic was awful, so I just told the G.P.S. to find me the fastest route home, and it kept trying to take shortcuts through residential streets that had been blocked to through traffic.

And the other day I burned the back of my thumb on a dish. Ow, and then I forgot about it. Not sure if it was the heated gloves or just an effect of riding but it really started to sting. And has now turned into a proper blister.

i am not sure whether I regret going out after that. But it was a proper winter riding day, which are kind of fun. Clear blue skies, cold from a frosty start a little over freezing, though it warmed up, and a low sun that is blinding because I was always riding into it. And less that three hours from lockdown it was my last chance to go anywhere until December.

And it has been confirmed MOTs have not been suspended and will continue through the lockdown. So my bike will not be allowed on the road after the end of the month until I get it tested. Though I also got an email from the government today (for being extremely vulnerable) telling me I am to "stay at home as much as possible but are encouraged to go outdoors for exercising and attending health appointments." So conflicting advice there.

2281 - 2300 of 2307 Posts