Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

2181 - 2195 of 2195 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm thinking on ECU reflash, the man down the road has Dyno too. I think he does a smooth out and economy soft flash and a full Dyno one. Very tempting.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried grip puppies on my bike but I think the increased diameter made they caused as many problems as they solved. Then when winter came they obviously reduced the effect of the heated grips so I removed them and never put them back.

You can use a palm rest and a throttle lock together, Zuben. I have both, though I only use the lock for the very brief moments when I want to take my hand away completely. With the palm rest though I can do just that, let my palm control the throttle and straighten my fingers. It is my most important accessory.

I kind-of did something for my bike yesterday, I ordered Givi panniers. I already own the racks as I got them in a stock clearance sale, but I am not to keen on side-opening ones, which are the only types Givi (or Kappa) support for the 500F. So I had intended to make my own ammo box ones before my dad became very ill last summer.

Finding suitable sized boxes in the U.K. is difficult, and I do not feel enthusiasm for the effort of sanding and painting then, particular as I have no suitable working area. So when I saw the Givi ones were £100-off I was seduced by all the extra capacity. I will be able to leave the bike unattended when I have extra luggage, which I would not do when it is just rok-strapped to the pillion seat. And no more carrying my jacket around on hot days because the top box is full with my helmet and other junk.
I thought about using the lock and rest together, but decided there's no need. With the palm rest, I had to keep my wrist at a certain angle, and after an hour or so, my hand still got numb. If I set the rest so my wrist could be straighter, it became a safety issue because I was revving the motor when I didn't mean to. So the lock has solved everything by allowing me to just flex my hand and wrist for a few seconds whenever needed. The panniers sound great!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im almost to this point... at 300 miles now... just 300 more per dealer recommendation... I cant wait... I want to crack over that 6k mark! What oil did you use? I am a religious Amsoil user in all my rigs, so of course, that's what i plan on using in my cbr. Though, the tech in me is curious still, as to what everyone else uses and how it works out for them.
I recently did my first oil change and took the safe route. Bought Honda oil and filter at the dealer, and got the little filter wrench in a "kit". Asked for a crush washer, and they gave it to me for free. First time dealing with this dealer, so all's good. The actual oil change was a snap, but I've been doing oil changes for a long time

·
Registered
309 Posts
The panniers have arrived. I did not realize how much the world had changed but the delivery said "next working day," so I guess that includes Sundays now. Just a shame I need to temporarily store them until my doctor says I can go outside, as I cannot even work on the bike until then.

When attached they are not supposed to be much wider, if at all, than the bars so should have little impact on filtering etc. And they do look both roomy yet not too big. They also came with a spare key barrel, to replace the one in a top box, so that everything can use the same key.

At some point I will probably need to buy the inner bags, to allow carrying loose things without worry of everything falling out when opening them. But for now I am just excited that I will be able to actually make stops when visiting my dad now without having to worrying about items attached loosely to the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
lubed clutch cable with MOTION PRO cable luber and lube. flushed / replaced front and rear brake fluid using PRO HONDA dot 4 brake fluid and a MOTION PRO mini brake bleeder (8mm). first time doing these things on a motorcycle and still finding it easy and straight forward so far. topped off oil with HONDA hp4s too.
Does your 500 has ABS? Will flushed/replaced brake fluid on ABS model differ than those without? Is the mini brake bleeder required?

·
Registered
604 Posts
my cbr does have abs. i followed the service manual procedure but used the MOTION PRO mini bleeder (small wrench and clear hose attached), in place of a hose connected to the bleeder valve, then had that output into a small water bottle (for transport and recycling). i did not use an actual vacuum bleeder. i used the brake lever / pedal to force the old fluid out of the system through the valve while replacing fluid in the reservoirs so as not to introduce air to the system. as far as i remember there is no variation in the procedure between abs and non-abs on this model.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Replaced the neutral switch and used the opportunity to adjust the shift lever to be a bit lower which I’ve been meaning to do for a while since adjusting the brake lever down.

I also took it as an excuse to get the front sprocket cover off and give it a really good clean in there - so much crud! On the plus side I confirmed chain cleaner does indeed clean built up chain goop better than either WD40 or kerosene, as I first tried both due to them being cheaper and there being a lot to clean out lol. So it’s all nice and shiny under there again, and chain cleaner isn’t a total con after all lol. However on the downside I found a stuck link in my chain... so a new chain is on order :(

·
Registered
280 Posts
. However on the downside I found a stuck link in my chain... so a new chain is on order :(
There's always a catch when you start doing maintenance to a motorcycle. Good news is.. it's much easier and safer to find out something needs attention while the bike's parked in your garage... than on the side of the road miles/kilometers from home. (y)

·
Registered
12 Posts
There's always a catch when you start doing maintenance to a motorcycle. Good news is.. it's much easier and safer to find out something needs attention while the bike's parked in your garage... than on the side of the road miles/kilometers from home. (y)
This was a little my fault... heck I'm the owner, so all my fault lol. I found out the chain had a tight area not long after I bought the bike, which isn't surprising as it was 6 years old and whilst it had done 15,000km's, looking at the logs, 12,000 of those were in the first year and a half, so it did a lot of sitting since, but was cared for. I was meaning to get around to changing the chain and sprockets but was putting it off as it was a slippery slope of purchases lol -need chain tools, should I change front sprocket size, if so, I'll need a speed healer, etc. Other than the tight spot, the chain and sprockets were in good condition with no external rust or whatnot, and I've done my weekly oil and clean, but until I ran the chain over the front sprocket I didn't realise one of the links was stuck and lifting quite worryingly off the sprocket (given how it's stuck, I think it must have rusted itself together whilst on the rear sprocket during one of the sitting periods).

But yeah, really glad I found it; as I say the chain seemed mostly fine to a newb, but was actually quite dangerous! I ordered a did vx3 chain and a chain tool. Unfortunately not sure what to do about the sprockets. Bike has 21,000KM's on it now and the sprockets seem fine... although many people say to change sprockets and chains as a set, so I'd prefer to do that. Sadly though we're in heavy lockdown that closed all the bike parts stores and there seems to be a shortage of sprocket sellers online that ship from onshore. I don't really want to buy from eBay/amazon sellers for such critical parts. I've sent an email to my local dealer but I think that's going to be a while if at all lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
although many people say to change sprockets and chains as a set
I have heard that the front sprocket wears faster than the rear, which makes sense since each front tooth sees many more chain links pass by per mile than does a rear sprocket tooth.

In the USA the Honda OEM front sprocket is cheap, about $14 purchased online.

I am changing my chain (see Delboy Garage's YouTube video) and installed a new front sprocket made by JT sprockets ($20), though the wear on the old one at 10K miles was low. Not replacing the rear sprocket.

There is a helpful YouTube video on changing the front sprocket on our bikes.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Today I got stoned. Then I got drunk. Don't worry, I do that all the time.

I'm jamming to music in my garage waiting for my wife to get home. Figuratively speaking. About the jamming, not the wife.

I'm writing this on my phone. I hate phones. I'll keep this as brief as I can.

I'm sitting on my '13 R dress style (not wearing a dress) . Key in the house far away. Listening to my alternative / rock rap Spotify generated playlist.

I start rocking on the bike, making the suspension actuate. I'm betting that's not really good for the bike to do on the kickstand, but I digress.

I happen to reach for the handlebars and swing them a hair. I notice my body rock. I begin to flick the handle bars a few inches observing the bike's reaction, and mine (still sitting side saddle). Still on the kickstand. This is also probably not very good for the bike...

What I notice though is that the frame of the bike seems to be flexing. Granted, I'm stoned af right now. I'm curious if that's normal, or if anybody else can reproduce. And if it's real what affect does that have on handling?

Reactions: airhead83
2181 - 2195 of 2195 Posts