Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

2161 - 2180 of 2194 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's ok for me I have my own property with yard and shed so I can do stuff. A few bikers here in a small area 95% are not riding doing the right thing.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I washed my bike last weekend, and cleaned and lubed the chain after. Had no pan to drain the oil into, and the lineups are crazy right now due to COVID-19 so I held off on changing the oil (and therefore couldn't ride).

This weekend I borrowed a pan from my brother, and changed the oil. First I did my lawn mower, and had a beer while I did it so I couldn't ride my bike to warm up the oil. Instead, I let it idle for 10 minutes in the garage while I finished up the lawn mower. Unfortunately, when I went to do the bike it was too hot, and the oil nearly burned my hand as it came rushing out. I spilled a ton of oil on the garage floor because I underestimated how far the oil was going to shoot out. :mad:

I hastily repositioned the pan, pulled off my glove, and then rushed to the garden hose to cool my hand off to avoid a burn. When I returned to the bike I couldn't find the drain plug anywhere, and couldn't remember what I had done with it. I guessed maybe I dropped it into the pan, but the oil in the pan was still too hot to reach into. I had to wait for that to cool off so I moved on to the filter. I had the bike up on both stands, which was the first time in years I did that for an oil change, and when I removed the filter a bunch of oil poured out onto the exhaust pipe. After waiting 20 or 30 minutes for the oil in the pan to cool I was able to reach in and find my plug.

I got the new filter installed and reinstalled the drain plug. Then I topped up the oil. I ran the bike for a minute to let it circulate to recheck that the level was stable. Unfortunately, I forgot to reinstall the oil cap and had my back turned tidying up after myself. The smell of burning oil brought my attention back to the motorcycle and that's when I realized that oil had been sputtering out onto the muffler and pegs. I killed the bike fearing enough loss to cause damage, and tried to clean up the spilled oil. I checked the level, and it was way low again so I topped it back up. Fortunately the dealership had given me a 3.7 litre bottle instead of just 3 1-litre bottles. I barely had enough left over. I reinstalled the oil cap and proceeded to fire the bike back up, but there was still oil on the exhaust from the filter and that was still burning heavily so I decided to shut the bike back off. I wanted to wash the oil back off with the hose, but the bike was too hot to do it then so I left it sitting instead.

Later in the day after the bike had cooled I hosed it off, but we had plans for the night so I left it at that. The next day I fired it up to check if it was good now, but it was still smoking heavily. I decided to take it for a ride to burn off the remaining oil. After a 20 minute ride I returned home. I checked on the chain, and it wasn't too hot to touch, so I cleaned and lubed the chain again since I had hosed it off again the day before.

It should be good again for a while. I'd like to replace the brake fluid next, but I'm having trouble sourcing the tools given the pandemic. The brakes are still working fine so I don't think it will interfere with riding. I hope to find more time to ride this year because I haven't been riding enough for the past few years (mostly due to work and wife).

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
You're not wrong. :p I'm a bit clumsy around tools, but I don't get to use them often enough. :rolleyes: Also, I've recently discovered that I'm probably on the Autism spectrum somewhere which may account for some of my shortcomings in hands-on work. 🧠 Nevertheless, I'm sure I'm not the only one that struggles with it from time to time. And I'm not ashamed to admit when I've goofed up. :confused: Got the job done anyway. 🛠

·
Registered
230 Posts
You're not wrong. :p I'm a bit clumsy around tools, but I don't get to use them often enough. :rolleyes: Also, I've recently discovered that I'm probably on the Autism spectrum somewhere which may account for some of my shortcomings in hands-on work. 🧠 Nevertheless, I'm sure I'm not the only one that struggles with it from time to time. And I'm not ashamed to admit when I've goofed up. :confused: Got the job done anyway. 🛠
Good on yer mate, takes some courage to get stuck in to those jobs. I'm sure if at any time you were stuck at all the boys on here would only be too happy to have a banter and give verbal assistance. But I guess you knew that anyway. All the best.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Good on you for making the efforts and finishing the task. I normally turn a straight-forward 1 hour task into a labor-intensive full afternoon before completion. And I'm pretty sure I can't blame my inabilities on anything other than being clumsy. All's good.

·
Registered
110 Posts

I retrofitted a projector into my F.
It was far from an easy install and not a perfect kit, but it'll work.
It is aimed slightly over level when I'm sitting on it but I can't adjust up/down any more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Topped up the tire pressure and took it on its first little adventure. 300 km round trip (took about 5 hours total). Explored some new roads... even took it a few places it didn't belong (just for a minute to see how it handled on loose gravel for route planning purposes).

What a great machine to cruise along. Probably averaged around 3.5 L/100 km (67 US MPG).

I like to make the red pop a little extra in post-processing and eliminate the rear fender/plate fixture for effects. :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Changed the chain and front/rear sprockets. They were in good shape but the previous owner didn't take great care of the chain so o-rings were missing and red dust kept showing up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, today was the first day out with my new slip on, my new gifted guardian bell (yea, yea... your insult, i assure you, is not original), new drayko riding jeans aaaannndddd... the first day my precious baby saw the rain and not a shy amount either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Topped up the tire pressure and took it on its first little adventure. 300 km round trip (took about 5 hours total). Explored some new roads... even took it a few places it didn't belong (just for a minute to see how it handled on loose gravel for route planning purposes).

What a great machine to cruise along. Probably averaged around 3.5 L/100 km (67 US MPG).

View attachment 72230

View attachment 72232

I like to make the red pop a little extra in post-processing and eliminate the rear fender/plate fixture for effects. :cool:
these are some beautiful pictures man, good job!🤘👍🤘

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did my first oil change. What a pain in the ***. Took me at least 45 minutes to get the oil filter out. Will be testing the bike riding it a little harder on the hwy. Let see what shes got :D

Im almost to this point... at 300 miles now... just 300 more per dealer recommendation... I cant wait... I want to crack over that 6k mark! What oil did you use? I am a religious Amsoil user in all my rigs, so of course, that's what i plan on using in my cbr. Though, the tech in me is curious still, as to what everyone else uses and how it works out for them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Amsoil makes nice products. As long as the oil meets the JASO standards for motorcycle use.. it's all about personal preference. But that JASO standard is a must.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Couldn't take the Aussie winter anymore and added the Givi windscreen and Oxford heated grips. I know many here ride in colder, but 40 mins on the highway at 0-3C in the mornings ... Brrr! Provisional testing shows the windscreen does bugger all unless I get right down "in the bubble" ... but on those freezing mornings I'm sure I'll be welcome of it.

Gave it a nice deep clean and wax too ... so of course it's raining tomorrow lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Installed a Ransoto rear fender elimination kit on my '19 cbr500r... Nice little setup for a more than affordable price ($35 on Amazon) compared to most of the setups i have seen. It retains the use of your OEM turn signals and license plate light, which i really liked. I will say though, I had read a review stating that the poster had experienced some difficulty installing the signals grommets... I too struggled at this for the first grommet. It was a P.I.T.A... but the second one was much easier and i had it in fairly quickly with the help of a bench vise. What made it so difficult for me, was the spacers that they had provided to make up the gap in the grommet that is present when it is installed on the eliminator since the material is thinner than the OE setup. With all that said, i am pleased with the end result. Oh, one thing i learned while doing this, is that the grommets for the rear turn signals are side specific. Meaning the right grommet has to be installed on the right with the right turn signal to be installed correctly. Theres a little cutout or channel on the inside of the grommet that allows the signal assembly to sit correctly. They can still be installed fine if switched though, it just feels weird when you first set it in there

fender elimination6.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hooked up the proper plug to a GPS power cord (thanks to instructions I found in this forum) and attached it to the utility plug under the seat. Then ran the power cord forward, under the tank to the handlebar. Got a flexible GPS mount, like a big zip tie, but it can be released and redone, and attached it dead centre on the handlebar of my F. The Garmin Zumo snaps right onto the ball, but it was loose at first, so I put a bit of masking tape over the ball, and now it stays put. So I've got GPS, switched on and off with the key! Then I installed my new Coffman slip-on, but left the baffle in since I'm old and socially-responsible now. ;-) I've always have problems with numb throttle hand, so I got a wrist rest, which helped but not enough. Now I have one of those throttle locks that sits on the brake lever, and it works great. Since the Coffman doesn't need to attach to the rear footpeg bracket, I may have to remove the rear footpegs, but the wife thinks she might want to come along once in a while. For as often as that's likely to happen, I could reinstall them in 5 minutes! Still pondering a tail eliminator/cleaner-upper, or whatever they're called.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You should be socially irresponsible and take the baffle out,you know you want to. That red is one tasty beast. How can anyone not love these bikes. PS I fitted some soft grips to help with numb hands and fingers. But I was hanging on too tight

·
Registered
307 Posts
I tried grip puppies on my bike but I think the increased diameter made they caused as many problems as they solved. Then when winter came they obviously reduced the effect of the heated grips so I removed them and never put them back.

You can use a palm rest and a throttle lock together, Zuben. I have both, though I only use the lock for the very brief moments when I want to take my hand away completely. With the palm rest though I can do just that, let my palm control the throttle and straighten my fingers. It is my most important accessory.

I kind-of did something for my bike yesterday, I ordered Givi panniers. I already own the racks as I got them in a stock clearance sale, but I am not to keen on side-opening ones, which are the only types Givi (or Kappa) support for the 500F. So I had intended to make my own ammo box ones before my dad became very ill last summer.

Finding suitable sized boxes in the U.K. is difficult, and I do not feel enthusiasm for the effort of sanding and painting then, particular as I have no suitable working area. So when I saw the Givi ones were £100-off I was seduced by all the extra capacity. I will be able to leave the bike unattended when I have extra luggage, which I would not do when it is just rok-strapped to the pillion seat. And no more carrying my jacket around on hot days because the top box is full with my helmet and other junk.

2161 - 2180 of 2194 Posts