Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

2161 - 2168 of 2168 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's ok for me I have my own property with yard and shed so I can do stuff. A few bikers here in a small area 95% are not riding doing the right thing.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I washed my bike last weekend, and cleaned and lubed the chain after. Had no pan to drain the oil into, and the lineups are crazy right now due to COVID-19 so I held off on changing the oil (and therefore couldn't ride).

This weekend I borrowed a pan from my brother, and changed the oil. First I did my lawn mower, and had a beer while I did it so I couldn't ride my bike to warm up the oil. Instead, I let it idle for 10 minutes in the garage while I finished up the lawn mower. Unfortunately, when I went to do the bike it was too hot, and the oil nearly burned my hand as it came rushing out. I spilled a ton of oil on the garage floor because I underestimated how far the oil was going to shoot out. :mad:

I hastily repositioned the pan, pulled off my glove, and then rushed to the garden hose to cool my hand off to avoid a burn. When I returned to the bike I couldn't find the drain plug anywhere, and couldn't remember what I had done with it. I guessed maybe I dropped it into the pan, but the oil in the pan was still too hot to reach into. I had to wait for that to cool off so I moved on to the filter. I had the bike up on both stands, which was the first time in years I did that for an oil change, and when I removed the filter a bunch of oil poured out onto the exhaust pipe. After waiting 20 or 30 minutes for the oil in the pan to cool I was able to reach in and find my plug.

I got the new filter installed and reinstalled the drain plug. Then I topped up the oil. I ran the bike for a minute to let it circulate to recheck that the level was stable. Unfortunately, I forgot to reinstall the oil cap and had my back turned tidying up after myself. The smell of burning oil brought my attention back to the motorcycle and that's when I realized that oil had been sputtering out onto the muffler and pegs. I killed the bike fearing enough loss to cause damage, and tried to clean up the spilled oil. I checked the level, and it was way low again so I topped it back up. Fortunately the dealership had given me a 3.7 litre bottle instead of just 3 1-litre bottles. I barely had enough left over. I reinstalled the oil cap and proceeded to fire the bike back up, but there was still oil on the exhaust from the filter and that was still burning heavily so I decided to shut the bike back off. I wanted to wash the oil back off with the hose, but the bike was too hot to do it then so I left it sitting instead.

Later in the day after the bike had cooled I hosed it off, but we had plans for the night so I left it at that. The next day I fired it up to check if it was good now, but it was still smoking heavily. I decided to take it for a ride to burn off the remaining oil. After a 20 minute ride I returned home. I checked on the chain, and it wasn't too hot to touch, so I cleaned and lubed the chain again since I had hosed it off again the day before.

It should be good again for a while. I'd like to replace the brake fluid next, but I'm having trouble sourcing the tools given the pandemic. The brakes are still working fine so I don't think it will interfere with riding. I hope to find more time to ride this year because I haven't been riding enough for the past few years (mostly due to work and wife).

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
You're not wrong. :p I'm a bit clumsy around tools, but I don't get to use them often enough. :rolleyes: Also, I've recently discovered that I'm probably on the Autism spectrum somewhere which may account for some of my shortcomings in hands-on work. 🧠 Nevertheless, I'm sure I'm not the only one that struggles with it from time to time. And I'm not ashamed to admit when I've goofed up. :confused: Got the job done anyway. 🛠

·
Registered
115 Posts
You're not wrong. :p I'm a bit clumsy around tools, but I don't get to use them often enough. :rolleyes: Also, I've recently discovered that I'm probably on the Autism spectrum somewhere which may account for some of my shortcomings in hands-on work. 🧠 Nevertheless, I'm sure I'm not the only one that struggles with it from time to time. And I'm not ashamed to admit when I've goofed up. :confused: Got the job done anyway. 🛠
Good on yer mate, takes some courage to get stuck in to those jobs. I'm sure if at any time you were stuck at all the boys on here would only be too happy to have a banter and give verbal assistance. But I guess you knew that anyway. All the best.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good on you for making the efforts and finishing the task. I normally turn a straight-forward 1 hour task into a labor-intensive full afternoon before completion. And I'm pretty sure I can't blame my inabilities on anything other than being clumsy. All's good.

·
Registered
96 Posts

I retrofitted a projector into my F.
It was far from an easy install and not a perfect kit, but it'll work.
It is aimed slightly over level when I'm sitting on it but I can't adjust up/down any more.

2161 - 2168 of 2168 Posts