Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

2141 - 2160 of 2169 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Update: Just went out to check on it. Light was green! Bike fired right up! Here's hoping the battery is fine for now. ? I'm going to go for a ride at 5 when I clock out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Decided to try to get it ready for riding season. Started right up and went for a ride. Cleaned the chain and checked slack. Tomorrow a good wash and lubing the chain and possibly an oil change.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Went for a ride at 5. Was good. Took these photos along the shore of a bay of Lake Superior.

20200402_174548.jpg 20200402_174829.jpg 20200402_175044.jpg 20200402_175100.jpg

(Yes, I was parked like an *******, but that's because it's typically not busy enough to ever fill up, and I wanted the extra space to take a photo that focused more on my bike and the scenery than whatever crap was parked next to me.. :p)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Added some clip-ons. What a difference, At 6.3 I was always cramped around corners and now while less comfortable commuting, it feels so much more comfortable and stable around corners due to I'm actually able to move my body off the bike instead of just leaning the bike over.
plus i think it looks awesome

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had my '13 CB500f for about 2 months; first bike so been learning basic maintenance and getting used to it. Today I just completed the first round of mods for things that bugged me:
  • LED upgrade (headlight,positioning light/rego plate light and taillight bulbs) - WOW! I can see! Honestly the difference is vast. Brand: Stedi
  • Adjustable levers - I'm 195cm and those stockies are too far out even for me. I'll be keeping the stock ones under the rear seat as it seems levers like to brake if you drop the bike and I'm new. Brand: Ride It (Amazon generic)
  • Gear indicator - not really needed, but nice. Brand: Idea (Amazon generic)
  • Passenger peg removal (hanger and blanking plate) - just cosmetic, but as I can't carry any passengers for another three years due to restrictions here it bugged me a lot more than it should. Brand: R&G
All without a hitch! I'm new to maintenance and mods, so working my way up here. I weigh 100kg/220lb's so the real mod needed is a suspension upgrade, but I can't/don't want to pay labour for that, so am learning and skilling up to do it myself. I figure if I'm dropping the tubes to add new springs, I may as well do a full service on them as the bike is 7 years old.

Next round of mods is on order and will be winter commuter stuff - handguards, windscreen and luggage ... ... who knows? maybe the very first thing I ordered - SW Motech crash bars that are on a slow, corona-sponsored round-the-world trip - may even arrive by then!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Slevin, Go ahead and get started. You don't need no stinking manual. Parts is parts. Just hold onto what extra parts are left over.. just in case. :whistle:
That's how I usually do projects. And only very rarely am I parts efficient.
But I'm riding to work and back everyday. If I don't get it finished I won't be able to.

·
Registered
603 Posts
bcuz of covid-19, we've been on stay at home orders for non essential travel here in los angeles since middle of march, so i've just been using our cars for errands and the bike hasn't been ridden in about 2 months. checked the battery yesterday and it was @ 11.9v, though it usually sits @ 12.5v everytime i check (w/ engine off). went to start it and it fired right up. i have an SAE line wired to the battery (w/ fuse) into the side of the under pillion compartment, so i plugged my digital battery charger to it (it also has SAE) just to top it off... took about about 2 hours but most of that was conditioning the battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fitted the SW Motech crash bars and some Barkbusters. I was a little concerned there'd be a lot of vibes with the Barkbusters seeing how much weight came out removing the stock bar ends, but just got back from a good run and it seemed fine & with the temps down to the singles it was quite a nice difference!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Full clean down and wax,chain clean and adjust & got it an AirHawk seat - took it for a country road brap once dry and holy cushioned buttocks batman what a difference!

·
Registered
117 Posts
In lock down since March had the wheels out and painted them. Used a gallon off polish on the bike just so i can stroke it. The longer this goes on the more i realize what a lovely bike i have. And interestingly I have Air Hawk seat no way could I get on with it. So I used the cover and fitted two layers of memory foam inside def better for me. I will start new post on my suspension mod rather than here.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have an air seat, the difficulty with them is making sure you get the air volume exactly right. Under inflate and they offer little benefit, over inflate and they are too hard.

Are you not in England or having to isolate, ADIS600, or just choosing not to go out for a ride? I put my bike under a cover just before the lockdown was announced so have not seen it since.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have an air seat, the difficulty with them is making sure you get the air volume exactly right. Under inflate and they offer little benefit, over inflate and they are too hard.

Are you not in England or having to isolate, ADIS600, or just choosing not to go out for a ride? I put my bike under a cover just before the lockdown was announced so have not seen it since.
In the UK choosing not to ride. Not that I feel it would be a problem, its just that if I end up in hospital I could be at risk. I am holding out for the hospitals to be safer then I get permission from the petticoat government to ride lol. And if I was to ride at the minute I certainly wouldn't be congregating with other bikes.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am in the shielding group and not being able to go out is extremely difficult. Especially given the weather.

As I only ride alone, ATGATT, and can plan petrol stops at pay-at-pump or select Esso* stations, so can avoid contact with anyone, I always intended to go out as soon as it was allowed. But when the
regulations were relaxed in England I found I could not do it for other reasons, such as not being able to guarantee avoiding anyone whilst just outside of home to do basic maintenance to the chain etc. to get the bike in order.

So the only thing I have done to my bike is look at it out of the window to make sure it is still there. I just keep reminding myself that one of the rides I want to make is through Wales, and as that is still illegal I have no choice but to stay home.

* Esso are the only one of the big three chains that allow motorcyclists to pay by app.

2141 - 2160 of 2169 Posts