Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've had a bike with a chain and those bikes had built-in center stands.
It's my understanding that its popular to mount little spools to the bike and use a stand that you keep in the garage.

· Registered
203 Posts
I got an OEM Honda center stand for just over $100USD a few years ago via Amazon. I had to shorten the stand as I've lowered my 2017 CB-500F by 1.5". I don't keep the stand in place, but instead use if just for maintenance when i want to bike on a secure stand. So, no fitting of springs. To keep the stand from giving me a thrill (by suddenly retracting) I use a ratchet strap from the front wheel rim or attached elsewhere to the front of the bike and fastened to the center stand.

Riders who have fitted an aftermarket muffler (such as my Arapovic) will not be able to keep a center stand fitted to their bikes as the stop for the retracted stand is built into the OEM muffler.

Ralph

· Registered
24 Posts
I have the SW-MotecH one. Works fine but needs a nylon M10 nut. The supplied one fell off after about 4 months (even with thread locker!) and lost the bushes that are custom. I’ve got the bushes on the way but it’s a simple fix for an otherwise good design. Definitely go for a Centre stand rather than spools.

· Registered
2015 Honda cb500f, 1973 Honda CL175, 1982 Suzuki X7
2 Posts
A few years ago I had a CB500x with a genuine Honda centre stand, this was quite easy to use.
I now have a CB500F which has an SW Motech centre stand and this is rather more difficult to use, in that it takes more effort to get the bike up on the centre stand. Out of choice I would go for the Honda stand.

I also make the point that a fitted centre stand is much more easy (and safe) to use than a paddock stand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts