Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the title, had a relatively minor accident about half an hour ago. I was just leaving a meeting with the local Honda Rider's club at the local mini-golf/ice cream stop. Everybody was gearing up and starting to leave, so I followed suit and started moving my bike out of the parking lot. I was parked in a section of the lot that had a raised section of cement which transitioned into the regular black asphalt you see everywhere. I'm pretty sure my front wheel slipped when I went from the cement to the asphalt. Felt the front end of the bike coming out from me and with the asphalt being lower, I couldn't get my right foot down anywhere to catch the bike. Biked started leaning to the right, so I let the bike go down and rolled off to the side. Luckily had all my gear on; boots, pants, jacket, gloves, helmet. Landed on my right elbow and caught rolled a couple times before landing. Happy to say the elbow armor -does- work!

Bike more or less fell straight over onto its side. I wasn't going any more than 2.5 MPH at the time, more or less just trying to get it turned around in the parking lot. Engine cut-out/stalled when it hit the ground, so there was no danger of the rear tire catching anything. A bunch of the other riders came off and picked the bike up for me while I stood up and dusted myself off. Happy to say that the bike sustained very minimal damage. Took a brief inspection on site and found few signs of damage. Worst of the damage was to the right brake lever, it didn't break, just a little scuffed and slightly bent. Minor scuffs to the bar-end weight, front fairing, and exhaust, but otherwise its very difficult to tell the bike went down on a casual glance. I was -extremely- lucky the bike didn't sustain any worse damage.

Bike ran perfectly fine, knock on wood. Also Honda quality in engineering, no problems starting it back up, didn't choke or sputter. Started up on the first push to the starter. Looks like from design, the first parts of the bike that touch down at the handlebars, bar-ends, and exhaust. I literally see no scraping to the engine or fairing around the engine. Mirrors were slightly scraped, but they bent out of the way when the bike went down (no damage to the mirror mounts, they were easily adjusted back to their normal location). Turn signal sustained no damage, the rubbery mounting flexed and saved the mirror and bulb. Zero cracking to the fairing at any part, just scrapes at the most outward part.

So yeah, points for the day.. falling over in the parking lot sucks, but a bruised ego is much, much better than broken bones or a trip to the hospital. Bike handled the fall significantly better than I was expecting. Bike is completely rideable and the damage isn't severe enough to require any sort of restoration/repair. I may replace the brake lever and bar-end weight, but the scuffs are really tiny and hard to notice. Also, going from cement to asphalt sucks! Felt like I literally had zero traction the moment the front wheel went off the cement section. When I went down though, instinct kicked in and I immediately bailed from the bike. Got way out of the way instantly and rolled to the side so the bike didn't land on me. Wear your freaking gear, folks! It can and will protect you!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry to hear that you went down. Extremely glad that you are okay. That is more important. Also happy to hear that bike did not suffer much damage.
ride safe.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Good thing is that you are ok. Too true about wearing the gear - at all times!

I'd recommend on things like the black plastic mirrors that you use coarse then fine grades of abrasive paper gently till you smooth the scratches out. Then polish it up with cutting compound. You can sometimes get it back almost perfect. Replace the lever in case you do it again, sure to break next time!

Falling off is bad enough but in front of other bikers is even worse! My most embarrassing biking moment was falling off in the middle of the infield of a racing circuit while a race was on. Quite a few people saw that!!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Glad this was minor and that you are fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it the first time you ever went down? If so i am happy you got it out the way, very early and safely in your long riding future.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did you squeeze the front brake when you dropped from cement to asphalt? Flip the handle bars too quick? I can't imagine how the front tire would slip at low speeds. Glad to hear the bike isn't too roughed up though and even better that you are alright, albeit with a bruised ego, its a learning experience everyone goes through.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you squeeze the front brake when you dropped from cement to asphalt? Flip the handle bars too quick? I can't imagine how the front tire would slip at low speeds. Glad to hear the bike isn't too roughed up though and even better that you are alright, albeit with a bruised ego, its a learning experience everyone goes through.
I'm not entirely sure what caused it. Was barely going 2-3 MPH, maybe a hair faster, but it was more or less just to get the bike turned around (I parked front end in, so I had to do a 180 to get out to the main road). Was %100 a low-side and the front end washed out. I feel lucky more than anything the bike is very well engineered to resist damage on a small fall. It has an amazing setup on the body and frame, its hard to tell there was much damage at all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it the first time you ever went down? If so i am happy you got it out the way, very early and safely in your long riding future.
Wasn't the first time I've been down, but definitely was the most embarrassing. Still, I am happy it was minor damage to the bike and I had no injuries. Being able to get up and ride home the same day is a good thing.

Reactions: SandMantis

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, wanted to thank everybody for the kind replies! :D I appreciate all of your comments! Makes me feel not so silly for going down, haha! Hopefully I'll pay more attention to these parking lots in the future and won't run into this problem again.

·
Registered
565 Posts
All part of the experience.. no shame there!

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Glad to know you are okay and the bike has minimal damage. At least now you dont have to expect to go down, it already happened.

You know what they say, riders that have gone down and those who will go down :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it makes you feel better....

I'm a pretty new rider. I was out to coffee the other day, sitting on my bike about to leave. Bike is idling in neutral and I'm putting my gloves on, tried to scooch up a bit on the seat to get comfortable, accidentally hit the shift lever.

Kathud. I'm in 1st gear, bike lurches and dies and starts to lean to the right quickly. I just barely catch it and stop it from falling all the way down. About 20 people in the coffee shop are looking at me like I'm an idiot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts