Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone!
Its been awhile since I've been around. I hope everyone is doing well.
I thought I'd pop in here to offer my thoughts on the Vortex head lift for the 500.
The backstory: I got an eBay cheapo lift a few years back because every place was sold out of the Woodcraft one that I wanted. The cheap ebay lift seemed alright so I've been using it until a couple of weeks ago when disaster struck. While changing my tire, one of the wheels gave out and sent the bike tumbling down. Lesson learned. So I went online to order the woodcraft one and yet again, every place is on back order. The Pit Bull stand was available for order, but I just don't want to shell out that much loot so I decided to give the Vortex lift a try. And that brings us to why I popped in here today.
The Vortex head lift is certainly not on the same level as Pit Bull, but it's quite good. The large five inch wheels are very sturdy and work very well on stoney uneven surfaces. The lifting arm is a very good height for the 500. The chin doesn't touch the lifting arm and the pin seats nicely into the stem. The tubing walls are quite thick and the stand is overall very durable. I can't imagine I'll ever have an issue with it. It is a bit heavy at 21 lbs, but that's probably not unmanageable for the majority of people.
A word of warning: It doesn't come with the 23mm pin used by the CB/CBR 500 and 650. You can order a 23mm pin for $10 USD, but I didn't. It does come with a 13mm pin that fits perfectly into a half inch drive socket. I just slid a heavy duty washer over the 13mm pin and then found a random half inch drive socket that was 23mm in diameter. That works fine. I might also mention that while the build quality and finish of the Vortex is perfectly adequate, I think the welds don't look great. I don't have any concerns about them holding, but they look a bit novice. I'm also not a fan of the matte finish. I'd prefer gloss. Aside from that, I'd say that it's a better value for the money than the woodcraft or the Pit Bull if branding doesn't play a decision-making factor for the buyer, but thriftiness does.
Anyway, that wraps it up for me this morning. I hope this helps someone. I'll try to pop in more often going forward. Ride safe, everyone!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
CZmate, Glad to see you are still around. I imagined you had swapped the 500 for something larger & ridden off into a Texas sunset. I have always enjoyed your thorough & well thought out input.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I always appreciated you for patiently hearing me out.
I got very close to selling, but I just couldn't follow through with the sale. I remembered how it felt after I sold my Aprilia Mille R. I didn't want to ever feel like that again so I backed out of the sale last minute. I'm letting my son sharpen his teeth on it for now.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
My father taught me how to ride when I was 9. All the motorcycles I used while in high school & college were hand me downs from my dad. I never owned one of my own until I was in my 30s. My dad was a bit of a horse trader in that I would come home & the bike I had been using was gone, but replaced with something else. A study in non-attachment!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts