Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
https://youtu.be/lSwyPTO4Gco?t=883

I've been reading here and there about this issue, and some say you have to screw the windshield tighter, some say you have to strip down the front fender and assemble it back, some say you have to put some foam somewhere in the speedometer, and so on.

So, is anyone personally familiar with the issue and knows, FOR A FACT, how to get rid of it?

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't remember exactly but the issue has been resolved by individual rider not by Honda.
you have to do some searching ...
Hello blackburn. I did, and as I said, there appears to be several vague solutions to it "reduced in a 80%" or stuff like that, doing completely different things. Therefore I'm just asking in case someone faced the problem on their own, and got to fix it and how.

· Registered
18 Posts
I believe the buzzing is coming from the side fair that is connecting to the dash. The black piece of plastic. If you place your hand on it while it buzz it'll stop. I have the same problem on my 2016 model (5000 - 6000rpm), but I hadn't open up the fairing to fix it yet. I read somewhere its one of the bolts you have to tighten or adding a rubber washer to it. Let me know if you find anything.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the buzzing is coming from the side fair that is connecting to the dash. The black piece of plastic. If you place your hand on it while it buzz it'll stop. I have the same problem on my 2016 model (5000 - 6000rpm), but I hadn't open up the fairing to fix it yet. I read somewhere its one of the bolts you have to tighten or adding a rubber washer to it. Let me know if you find anything.

I've read from people who says the buzz comes from here, others from there... Whenever I ride I try to grip firmly here and there when I hear it, but it really doesn't help much or at least not consistently. Spedoometer, windhield, fairings... etc. Have never tried that piece you mention, though. Will do and post back (still working out my license, gonna take a while).

It's a 2016's problem that's what I know for sure. If anyone really had this issue and solved it please let us know how!

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Updating. After thorough testing, the only thing that has worked for me all times to get rid of the buzzing was to thoroughly push the top speedometer to the inside - buzzing stopped everytime when doing so.

· Registered
18 Posts
Updating. After thorough testing, the only thing that has worked for me all times to get rid of the buzzing was to thoroughly push the top speedometer to the inside - buzzing stopped everytime when doing so.
what do you mean by pushing the speedometer to the inside, as in pushing the dashboard more inward the frame? Or do you mean by putting pressure to the upper part of the dashboard? How would you do that?

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
what do you mean by pushing the speedometer to the inside, as in pushing the dashboard more inward the frame? Or do you mean by putting pressure to the upper part of the dashboard? How would you do that?
I mean that the problem is still there but I've finally found out where exactly the buzzing was coming from, and that, whilst riding, pressuring the top of the speedometer inward made the buzzing disappear for the moment. Matter of a fact, ever since I had been pushing the speedometer inward, new mild buzzings have been showing up now at slightly different revranges, so it's pretty much the source of the annoying problem.

· Registered
18 Posts
Here I found the thread that goes in detail about this problem. It seems its acommon problem with the 2016.

https://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/honda-cbr500r/55353-vibration-rattle-2016my.html

I don't know how to properly link it but copy and paste it on to your browser.

Its seems like you have to take the dash out completely and add a layer of lining between the dash where it meets the mounting point. I hadn't try it yet since I don't really have much time to do it. Lets us know if any of you did it. Thanks.

· Registered
1,696 Posts
Isn't that something you can complain to the dealer about? I think it's fair to say that the bike shouldn't be making a buzzing noise like that. If it's truly the dash then perhaps Honda needs a "recall" for affected bikes to solve it for you.

I'm not very mechanical, but I was twisty eyed about the key chain used... Not sure if that could cause it or not, but make sure everything that can touch the bike plastic because anything hard could mark up the triple-tree or whatever.

· Registered
7 Posts
I noticed this buzz at approx similar revs, I noticed the front tip of the wind shield vibrating which is where I suspect it was coming from. I stripped the whole front fairing for various jobs, and I have a thing about knowing how machines are built, so I regularly strip stuff back just to be nosey. I fitted a home made strut across the inside middle two bolts that hold the windscreen on, to house usb power and a quad lock for GPS on the phone.....

Since I fitted this, I no longer get the buzz at all. Could just be that the windscreen doesn’t perfectly pair with the fairing and the bar I fitted has added a slight spring tension to it...

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I noticed this buzz at approx similar revs, I noticed the front tip of the wind shield vibrating which is where I suspect it was coming from. I stripped the whole front fairing for various jobs, and I have a thing about knowing how machines are built, so I regularly strip stuff back just to be nosey. I fitted a home made strut across the inside middle two bolts that hold the windscreen on, to house usb power and a quad lock for GPS on the phone.....

Since I fitted this, I no longer get the buzz at all. Could just be that the windscreen doesn’t perfectly pair with the fairing and the bar I fitted has added a slight spring tension to it...
From what I gathered so far, it is indeed about the windscreen / "black central plastic piece". Gotta fit something inbetween to get rid of it

· Registered
2 Posts
I have had this issue on the 2021 cbr500r model but i found a fix for it that 100% stopped the noise from the wind screen.The cause of this ( to the best of my knowledge ) is metal screws vibrating on the dash. There are 4 points where the windscreen is screwed down the lower 2 points is the specific cause, at least for my bike. I loosened the bolts so they are not tight against the dash and inserted a 1/4 inch plastic shim on either side of the mounting points and instantly after starting the bike i could tell it worked. After going for 5 rides now the noise has not come back. See pictures below

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts