Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Plugs are cheap, so while you are in there, why not replace? Saves an expense maybe later on!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did a valve adjustment check at 50,000 miles and all were within spec. This was the third check, and they are such a PITA on the R model that I don't think I am going to do another until at least 20K more miles. These valve systems seem to be very stable. I really haven't noticed any change except maybe a slight loosening of a couple of exhaust valves that were on the tight end of the tolerance, so that's good. By "slight loosening" I mean how easy it was to slide the feeler gauge in.....not even a measurable difference.
Thanks for your response you are right.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well as I see valve clearances, checking is the easy bit and adjustment is the hard bit only because it means removal of tensioner and cams. But at least if you check them you will know where you stand. They run better when in spec, it keeps the valve timing correct.

·
Super Moderator
732 Posts
Well as I see valve clearances, checking is the easy bit and adjustment is the hard bit only because it means removal of tensioner and cams. But at least if you check them you will know where you stand. They run better when in spec, it keeps the valve timing correct.
Not difficult at all, tensioner, chain and cams all stay in place for the adjustment.
Honda cama up with a clever mechanism to remove the cam follower axles, so you can push the followers aside and change the shims if needed.
P. S. They run even better with a pair of cams with fresh new profile on them ;-)

·
Registered
331 Posts
I didn't realize you can do that, I have never know that, some car engines can be done like that I know. Well I take my hat off to Honda. I don't why everybody doesn't check the clearances, it's a no brainier. A pair of cams would be nice but it doesn't end there does it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not difficult at all, tensioner, chain and cams all stay in place for the adjustment.
Honda cama up with a clever mechanism to remove the cam follower axles, so you can push the followers aside and change the shims if needed.
P. S. They run even better with a pair of cams with fresh new profile on them ;-)
I still need to get a set of those cams... I have some steep hospital bills from my new baby but after those are paid I'll be in contact.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts