Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see alot of people on this forum are ready for their 600-mile service.
Lots of talk about how much it costs and what the dealers are actually doing for the money they are charging.

I was looking at a cutaway of the valvetrain, and I don't see any way to adjust the valve-lash on these engines.
Anyone have any insight on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was just looking up the same thing. I was also trying to find a service manual for the CBR500r. I can't find anything. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Isn't a 1000 km valve clearance check strange for a new bike? Far before from many other brands.
Plus the expense. In Thailand we are lucky to get the service cheap - i think paid less than 100 usd. But for europe and usa where labor and parts are expensive, it is a burden really.
It is so proactive!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Isn't a 1000 km valve clearance check strange for a new bike? Far before from many other brands.
Plus the expense. In Thailand we are lucky to get the service cheap - i think paid less than 100 usd. But for europe and usa where labor and parts are expensive, it is a burden really.
It is so proactive!
Only ever had on a Ducati, but think even they are better now for servicing. Never known this on Jap bike, only other I know of is KTM.
Do wonder if Honda are trying to make sure valves set after that initial 600 miles, as even if set at factory must change some in first 600miles, if wait until 2 years or 16k they might be well out!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I was just looking up the same thing. I was also trying to find a service manual for the CBR500r. I can't find anything. :confused:
Early days yet hope one surfaces on the net in the next year or 2. I have always managed to get one for most bikes online.
Though expect its available as part form your dealer to.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks for that link !

Interesting design !

Design eliminates the head machining for cups & lowers the overall height of the head for a more compact engine design & lowers manufacturing costs

Clever....very clever !

Must have some type of shim in/on the crossover between the 2 rocker arms where the cam lobe rides

Never seen anything like it before

·
Registered
52 Posts
Called the dealer this morning about purchasing a service manual from Honda. The parts department says the shop foreman doesn't even have his yet, no prints are available at the moment. Check back in a month. Makes me wonder how the dealer is going to perform the service if they have no documentation.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It's possible there is some mention of the valve shimming stuff in the common service manual. Not sure. I'm away from my copy, but it's way old anyhow, well before the 250R came out.

New Honda Common Service Manual - Honda.com

·
Registered
138 Posts
If I remember correctly the CBR250R has a very clever arrangement whereby it is possible to change a "shim under bucket" shim without disturbing the cam shafts. It is done by having a way of sliding the cam along the camshaft thus giving access to the valve mechanism. I think BMW has a similar arrangement on its more recent boxer engines.

But of course I may not be remembering correctly!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
See page 43 of the Owner's Manual. It's every 16k miles.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yeah, actually, now that I think about it, that's not that often at all.

·
Registered
308 Posts
They are bucket shims, same as concept as the 250. I'm going to assume they won't need adjustment until 4-5000 miles. My 250 was supposed to have it checked at 600 miles. I checked it at 6 and it was still spot on. I did not need to shim them until 5500 miles. Is the 500 going to be different? I doubt it but someone will find out.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Yup that was one of the drawbacks. The dealership said that they had a service manual, but when they looked them up to order me one (as part of a purchase that I didn't do) they could not order them. Not "in the system".

And Helm didn't have them either.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Called the dealer this morning about purchasing a service manual from Honda. The parts department says the shop foreman doesn't even have his yet, no prints are available at the moment. Check back in a month. Makes me wonder how the dealer is going to perform the service if they have no documentation.
No service manual and the motorcycle is already for sale.. What in the...

1 - 20 of 69 Posts