Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am not good on computers, and new to the forum. Looking for some tips and tricks. I have a 19 plate cb500f. Had to move ship from the big stuff, everything on this bike is a 10 out of 10 for me, other than the power output. I am slowly getting my head around it. Anyway, TYRES, I have about 4,000 on the clock on PR5's not as good for me in the wet as dunlops, I am not keen on the PR5's tread pattern, I find they feather quite a bit. For me they are a bit pricey, can anyone recommend a good cheaper alternative for fair mileage and grip.

·
Registered
18 Posts
From what i've heard the pr5 tyres are great for handling in wet weather. I'm actually getting a set in two weeks.

The Bridgestone Battalax's have done me great for 23k+ kms, might have had more on them since they were on the bike when I got it. They've performed great in dry and in the rain and lasted me over 20k kms but since i commute they started to square off though. Could probably hit 30k on a set of those.

If I was you i'd stick with the pr5's until they need replacing but that's just because I like to get the full use out of mine

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I'm on my SECOND set of Bridgestone 023. That's saying a lot right there.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Having just done 19k miles on a pair of Road 5s, including some very wet weather in the last few thousand, I had no problem with them in the wet. And lasting that long means the higher price works out to be an economical one.

But I had no wear problems either, so it sounds like you probably corner much harder than me. Though I am sure everyone does! Maybe it will help if you describe your riding style, that way you can just focus on recommendations from people who ride the same as you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the most amazing tires.
They are black and made of rubber and I can go fast, and slow, and take corners.
They can go for a lot of miles and they have the best grip.
And they are great in dry, wet, sand, snow and ice.
No one should ever buy any other tires than these!

Did I about cover it!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have the most amazing tires.
They are black and made of rubber and I can go fast, and slow, and take corners.
They can go for a lot of miles and they have the best grip.
And they are great in dry, wet, sand, snow and ice.
No one should ever buy any other tires than these!

Did I about cover it!
Unnecessary for those who really want good information!

Why do you bother?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I used to run perelli angel gt tires which were excellent but to expensive for me so I tried BT-023 and they are great so far and in my price range.I have bad luck picking up nails in my tires.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Funny, but seemingly true example of Murphy’s Law. I found this true with bicycle tires especially, but also with moto tires. The more expensive the tire, the more likely a nail will find its way into it! The main reason I have a tire plugging kit on the bike.

·
Registered
613 Posts
My personal favorites are the tires made by Michelin. Very close tolerances and tough. Sticky but wear an extremely long time. When Before switching to them, I used to ride on an interstate near Akron that had rain grooves. My Dunlops (and a few other brands) used to "walk" all over the place. After switching both front and rear to Michelins, I got zero "walking" - as a matter of fact, I had even forgot about the grooves until I looked down and noticed them.

Great tires. My next set after the Dunlops wear out.

From me, THAT's saying something!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its me again, thanks for all the info on tyres. Just want to say I am not slating the PR5's, positives, super soft and faultless in the dry, cranked over riding over old conkers, gravel, and mud, that's Lincolnshire for you, very confidence inspiring. Quick to warm up. Downsides for me, I prefer less see than land on the tread, at 4,000 miles you can feel the tread on braking at slower speeds. They have squared off quite a bit. Didn't feel as confident on these as dunlops in the wet, I feel I could get something to do the job for £100 pounds less. I would much prefer to pay less and change the tyres more often if that makes sense. If say I could fit a rear for £130 every season that would do me. I will take the BT023 seriously though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It was necessary!

There a a million posts about tires and it always goes into I use X brand and they are the best at X and you should use them and nothing else!

As above posts validate!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Kind of hard to see the necessity of non-information. You were throwing dust into the wind. Members who have specific experiences with certain tires & share those experiences are actually contributing something to the forum. I looked to other members opinions when choosing to replace the OEM tires. I have been very happy with the Bridgestone 023s, especially considering their cost & longevity, but understand there are many other quality options. We are simply sharing our experience.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Kind of hard to see the necessity of non-information. You were throwing dust into the wind. Members who have specific experiences with certain tires & share those experiences are actually contributing something to the forum. I looked to other members opinions when choosing to replace the OEM tires. I have been very happy with the Bridgestone 023s, especially considering their cost & longevity, but understanu
d there are many other quality options. We are simply sharing our experience.

Good post

Plasma1

·
Registered
70 Posts
So non-information from me YET you had to post the brand/type of tire you have.
As I said everyone will post what they have and how they are the best ones to use.
It always goes that way.
That is non-information.
One persons usefulness and ride will not be the same for me since I ride on a different road,
different area,
different load/weight,
faster to 50 mph,
slower to 50 mph,
keep in 2nd longer,
ect...

·
Registered
613 Posts
As I said everyone will post what they have and how they are the best ones to use.
It always goes that way.
That is non-information.
One persons usefulness and ride will not be the same for me since I ride on a different road,
different area, different load/weight, ..
I disagree with this and agree with the other posters. I read these to get insight from others who may just offer something that will help in my next purchase.

Many actually have experience with many different tires and can offer differing advice/solutions.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

It always goes that way.

That is non-information.

different area,

different load/weight,

faster to 50 mph,

slower to 50 mph,

keep in 2nd longer,

ect...
I get your point, but if you have nothing to contribute then why respond at all, except maybe to say what you just said above. Look, I totally understand that everyone's mileage is their own and each experience has many variables, but if someone asks which tires I use, I think it's okay to answer that. I also think it's alright to say that my choice might not give them the same experience and I think that probably goes without saying. A thread like this one might not give a perfect indication of what tires to buy, but it might give an indication that more expensive tires might not be necessary or it might give an indication of what tires not to buy. I think a thread like this has at least some usefulness. That's just the way I see it.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
Let's be honest, here. The whole idea of this Forum is to gather and offer ideas and opinions. Not many of the posts I've noticed on these Forums are based on anything more than personal observations and experiences. But I don't anywhere else that offers the knowledge I can get about a particular motorcycle, than on a Forum designed and operated by the bike's riders. It's really the same as any other "Social Media".. It only functions and works well.. If the participants are treated with respect. for themselves and their ideas. :nerd:

·
Registered
448 Posts
It always goes that way.
That is non-information.
different area,
different load/weight,
faster to 50 mph,
slower to 50 mph,
keep in 2nd longer,
ect...
Lighten up mate. Or go bounce the tach off the rev limiter a few times.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts