Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Omg!!!!!respect, lol...ive just taken delivery of another rear 023, they are hard to mount, stiff side walls. They hold up for good miles and stick ok. If they drift they recover without drama.
I agree with this 100%. I might add, the tip in isn't as good as the stock Dunlop D222's, but they hold the line better.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
The dunlops did stick a little better but the Bridgestone because of the thicker walls are more stable in the twisty stuff hitting bumps laid over. If they drift and ive drifted them. They recover without grabbing hard. Very forgiving tire. I feel safe with them, as i did with the stock tires.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
On the 023.....im noticing you can run less air becsuse of the very stiff walls... i don't know if its my imagination. But with less air it feels like they stick better riding over those yellow lines laid over.

·
Registered
823 Posts
yup! it's a fact, less air will form more contact patch with the tarmac. but be careful, under inflation will induce uneven treadwear depending on size, shapes and angles of the tread pattern. I have had an unpleasant experience with Michelin Pilot Street Radial, front and rear.

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
I have very pleasant experience with pilot road 4s on the F. They're dual compound, so they resist wear better in the center, while being sticky at the sides for fast cornering. Kinda best of both worlds. For this year michelin cameout with the newest generation justvcalked road 5.
Back in the day when I was racing (a good 10-15 yrs ago) some semi slicks needed very low initial pressure (even down to 1.0-1.2 bars when cold) so they could warm up to over 85 deg C through deforming (and then arriving to a 1.8-2 bars at operating temperature) during the first two laps and then stick like two sided tape for a full race. I was competing in stock 600, so no real slicks were allowed, but everyone got the same tires with a regulated street profile from Michelin.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
On the 023.....im noticing you can run less air becsuse of the very stiff walls... i don't know if its my imagination. But with less air it feels like they stick better riding over those yellow lines laid over.
I also run a little less air on the BT023. Currently running 36/40. The traction is great either way. I haven't noticed any difference there, but it's a more comfortable ride.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
I currently have Pirelli Diablo Rosso III's front and rear with no issues. I ride pretty much on fast curvy roads with pressures at 32psi front and rear cold when I leave the house. I had Bridgestone S21's which stick great but only got 3000 miles on them, which is pretty good considering my Aprilia eats a S21 rear every 1800 miles.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Here's how the thinking goes among the things I've read (including stuff from tire manufacturers) and the people I've talked to (including current racers). I'm not an authority, obviously, so I'll qualify everything with "can," "might," or "apparently" lol.

Running lower pressure can give you better grip for a couple of reasons. The contact patch might be a tiny bit larger (any bit helps), and the additional flexing of the carcass as it rolls should generate a good bit more internal frictional heat. Warmer tires give you better grip. As your pace increases, the latter can play the greater role.

CAUTION: Be careful not to run lower pressures if you are riding in the rain. The sipes will apparently be more collapsed when the tire is under-inflated, making them smaller and causing them to move less water. For wet street riding, stick with the manufacturer's pressure recommendations. (I feel like I checked a long time ago and read that it is the bike manufacturer's recommendations you want, not the tire manufacturer's, but my memory is a bit foggy in this case, and I can't visualize the document from which I might have read that. It would obviously depend on the specific application.)

·
Registered
561 Posts
yup! it's a fact, less air will form more contact patch with the tarmac. but be careful, under inflation will induce uneven treadwear depending on size, shapes and angles of the tread pattern. I have had an unpleasant experience with Michelin Pilot Street Radial, front and rear.
What happened with your tires?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have a CBR500R (I'm in the UK) and I've been googling for tyre advice - this thread was one of the top results so I thought I'd pick your brains. I found a really good guide (here: Honda CBR500R Tyre Guide - Best Tyres for Road Riding) and it recommends some good sporty tyres, but they all seem quite high priced. I'm happy to spend the money, I just want to buy the right tyre. Have any of you had experience of the Bridgestone S22s?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have a CBR500R (I'm in the UK) and I've been googling for tyre advice - this thread was one of the top results so I thought I'd pick your brains. I found a really good guide (here: Honda CBR500R Tyre Guide - Best Tyres for Road Riding) and it recommends some good sporty tyres, but they all seem quite high priced. I'm happy to spend the money, I just want to buy the right tyre. Have any of you had experience of the Bridgestone S22s?
Personally, I have been quite happy with the OE tyres. I doubt that many people will be riding such that they need top of the line sporty tyres on a CBR500R. I would always advocate buying a major brand though, for a bike like this, but I'd think that any of the offerings from Michelin, Metzler, Continental etc. would be more than adequate. Sadly, I can't offer any direct experience on anything other than the OE tyres as I'm still on my first set. When the time comes I suspect I will fit a set of Michelin Road 5.

Reactions: ADIOS600

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bridgestone calls the S22 a "Hypersport" tire, ready for track days. From my experience with ultra-performance car tires, this means the mileage/life of the tire is terrible (20K street miles for a car). If they say mileage is "good" they mean in comparison with other tires of this extreme type. But it will stick like glue (when warmed up) to clean dry pavement. Not so much in the wet or cold.

I replaced my tires this year with a Dunlop "Sport Touring" tire, the older RoadSmart 3. These tires have a harder compound in the center of the tread for longer tread life while the sidewalls are softer compound for more cornering grip. Designed for strong grip in cooler temperatures and in the wet. In other words, better for street riding in many climates.

In the US, Dunlop has frequent tire sales through authorized local motorcycle dealers. The price I paid was actually very reasonable. The newer RoadSmart 4 model is more expensive.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts