Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Dunlop's Q3 is THE go-to hypersport tire in my neck of the woods, so their Roadsmart III is a touring tire probably worth looking into.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Here's how the thinking goes among the things I've read (including stuff from tire manufacturers) and the people I've talked to (including current racers). I'm not an authority, obviously, so I'll qualify everything with "can," "might," or "apparently" lol.

Running lower pressure can give you better grip for a couple of reasons. The contact patch might be a tiny bit larger (any bit helps), and the additional flexing of the carcass as it rolls should generate a good bit more internal frictional heat. Warmer tires give you better grip. As your pace increases, the latter can play the greater role.

CAUTION: Be careful not to run lower pressures if you are riding in the rain. The sipes will apparently be more collapsed when the tire is under-inflated, making them smaller and causing them to move less water. For wet street riding, stick with the manufacturer's pressure recommendations. (I feel like I checked a long time ago and read that it is the bike manufacturer's recommendations you want, not the tire manufacturer's, but my memory is a bit foggy in this case, and I can't visualize the document from which I might have read that. It would obviously depend on the specific application.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts