Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I recently set my bike over (not moving) and now the right side blinker is always half-on - as long as the bike is on (by half-on I mean it's on at half brightness, if that makes sense)
If I turn that blinker on (indicating I'm turning right) it will go from full off to full on blinking as it should but as soon as I cancel it goes back to constant half-brightness.
The left side works normally.

I mostly know my way around fixing a bike but the electric system is all Greek to me, so any insight would be valuable or really just where to start troubleshooting.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm guessing the light you're talking about is on the side where the bike laid down. There may be a wire in a bind and or grounding itself. Try to get to the back side of the wires. inside the fairings, and move them around to see if the solid low light disappears while moving the wires. If you can find it goes off while moving wires, but comes back on when released, you may need to remove the turn signal from the fairing to see where the problem is. Good Luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If this is a USA model CBR500, that is probably the drive light, on all USA motorcycles, the front headlight and both front indicator bulbs light up when the ignition is turned on and the engine is running. The front indicators use a twin filament bulb (same as a rear brake light bulb), the 5 Watt filament comes on with the ignition and then the indicator flashes the 21 watt filament. If you are only seeing this on one side (the right side), then the other side (left) bulb has probably burnt out (or you have a wiring issue), it is only the front indicator that should be lit (not the rear). I suspect your bike is working fine, but the left side that is not lighting up has a blown bulb!!

Gary

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was just the bulb!

Sorry for the delay... this virus has been crazy.

Anyway, I was aware the headlight was always on but not the turn signals as well. I just swapped the bulbs around to see if it followed them and it did, so evidently the bulb just burned out the 5w filament. Though in fairness I didn't explain the problem correctly because I didn't even know both signals were always partly-on.

Thanks very much to you both for the help. I just need to find replacement bulbs

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,
I recently set my bike over (not moving) and now the right side blinker is always half-on - as long as the bike is on (by half-on I mean it's on at half brightness, if that makes sense)
If I turn that blinker on (indicating I'm turning right) it will go from full off to full on blinking as it should but as soon as I cancel it goes back to constant half-brightness.
The left side works normally.

I mostly know my way around fixing a bike but the electric system is all Greek to me, so any insight would be valuable or really just where to start troubleshooting.

Thanks for any help!
Hey I have a 2015 CBR 1000 thats doing the same thing after I installed HotbodiesRacingInc undertail kit. Did you ever figure out what the issue is

·
Registered
3 Posts
If this is a USA model CBR500, that is probably the drive light, on all USA motorcycles, the front headlight and both front indicator bulbs light up when the ignition is turned on and the engine is running. The front indicators use a twin filament bulb (same as a rear brake light bulb), the 5 Watt filament comes on with the ignition and then the indicator flashes the 21 watt filament. If you are only seeing this on one side (the right side), then the other side (left) bulb has probably burnt out (or you have a wiring issue), it is only the front indicator that should be lit (not the rear). I suspect your bike is working fine, but the left side that is not lighting up has a blown bulb!!

Gary

If you can private message me somehow can you help me solve my blinker issue on my CBR500R please.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts