Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to stir up conversation with the topic of tracking and lapping days. How many of you guys occasionally go to the track with your bike and do laps. How was your first time , and what did you learn gradually. Or simply just talk about your track experience. If not do you plan to attend one in the future or is it not your thing.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Never been to a track day but I plan to this summer. I have to get better gear before then.

I wonder if the CBR500 will be as popular as the 250s for track days. I've seen a bunch of 250s heading to the track surprisingly.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
I usually attend a couple track days in the summer but the beginning of spring I head over to US129 known as the dragon or deals gap. Nothing like 318 turns in 11 miles. I find it when I attend lap days I go a slight bit faster everytime and end up with a crazy lap time. You can really learn from others on their as well from instructors if they are available. Once you figure what your doing wrong or need to perfect seconds will come off the lap times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Haven't done a track day yet, but will do one after I purchase my CBR500R. I have gone to the drag strip with my Ninja 650R several times and the torque makes it a wheelie machine. For that reason want my first track day on a slower bike. Want to learn the fundamentals before adding power.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
@NSR....is that Tail of The Dragon?? Many on the 250 forum ride that on a regular basis and have posted pics with ride reports. Looks like tons of fun

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I usually attend a couple track days in the summer but the beginning of spring I head over to US129 known as the dragon or deals gap. Nothing like 318 turns in 11 miles. I find it when I attend lap days I go a slight bit faster everytime and end up with a crazy lap time. You can really learn from others on their as well from instructors if they are available. Once you figure what your doing wrong or need to perfect seconds will come off the lap times.
The tail of the dragon is such a great road but also could be dangerous. At any given moment if a 18 wheeler gets lost and enters the road it could kill because it takes up both lanes when turning. I have been there on more than one occasion and find the scenery to be breath taking. Its not a road for beginners but if you do chose to ride on it for for first time, slow and steady does it.

Lap days I find give you the freedom to just focus on ride and fix your mistakes. This build confident for riders overtime. Theres no need to be worried about cars or other things and riders have to signal to let others pass.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
So, I finally saved up enough dough to buy the bike. Had my local non-powerhouse dealer work a deal with another who had an RA, gave a deposit of 500, and will be picking it up Tuesday.
Was a fairly busy day yesterday! Made calls to dealer en route to Cycle Gear, tried on leathers there, tried some boots, tried some gloves. Sealed the bike deal while trying on gloves. Bought boots and gloves. Went out to dinner with my wife, got home, got online, ordered some different leathers from Cycle Gear, then made my reservation for track CLASS at VIR for the end of May and a couple nights at The Lodge that overlooks the track. This should be really fun. Hope I don't look too dorky in all my Sedici gear. It just happened to fit better than everything else and seemed to be well made at a good price. Now I can only hope I don't make full use of their protection and trash my bike before it's a month old (did that with my Mazda3i when a deer got stupid).
There is a sucking sound emanating from my wallet. :)

Anyway, any more info on folks' track day experiences with the 500 will be read with great interest. I'll put up my own thoughts in a little over a month, assuming nothing stops my plan.

Reactions: loserlazer

·
Registered
157 Posts
went for a track day last summer. Learned that stock tires and suspension suck more than i thot. Learned that riding track is a lot harder than it looks. Gained alot of respect for the riders that race for real. I was worn out after 15min out there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So, I finally saved up enough dough to buy the bike. Had my local non-powerhouse dealer work a deal with another who had an RA, gave a deposit of 500, and will be picking it up Tuesday.
Was a fairly busy day yesterday! Made calls to dealer en route to Cycle Gear, tried on leathers there, tried some boots, tried some gloves. Sealed the bike deal while trying on gloves. Bought boots and gloves. Went out to dinner with my wife, got home, got online, ordered some different leathers from Cycle Gear, then made my reservation for track CLASS at VIR for the end of May and a couple nights at The Lodge that overlooks the track. This should be really fun. Hope I don't look too dorky in all my Sedici gear. It just happened to fit better than everything else and seemed to be well made at a good price. Now I can only hope I don't make full use of their protection and trash my bike before it's a month old (did that with my Mazda3i when a deer got stupid).
There is a sucking sound emanating from my wallet. :)

Anyway, any more info on folks' track day experiences with the 500 will be read with great interest. I'll put up my own thoughts in a little over a month, assuming nothing stops my plan.
You're a brave man taking your brand new bike to the track. I'd love to go track riding but would want to buy a track specific bike with crash bars that I would be okay dropping. It would break my heart to see my 500r get smashed.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yeah. I'll be glad it's a fairly laid back class aimed at improving skills, not lap times, with no pressure to haul buns more than we want. Of course, I hope to be able to haul buns fairly well, but I'll be happy just hitting some curvy pavement at above-legal speeds and without opposing or crossing traffic!

Reactions: Conroe_Keith

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
I take cbr500r for track days.
It goes and handles well and perfect for learning and practicing!
And with sliders and hart parts you can protect the bike from crashes.
Besides it is not an expensive bike to trash. Better than a 12k usd cbr600 to trash out, right?
You need to work on rear shock and harden the front a bit. My rear shock is hard at 6th setting out of 9 and bought front fork adjusters yesterday from k speed for 33 usd with an inch of adjustment to make it harder or softer which made the front very well planted right now. Strongly recommended for that cheap.
Can buy performance brake pads and also braided brake lines to maximize the braking performance as cbr500 has a single disc still could not feel any brake deficiency on the track.
And do not forget the throw pirelli supercorsas, an aftermarket full system exhaust, power commander, higher flowing air filter, a nice rearset and remove the street legaliser parts, lighten the bike and you are there:D

·
Registered
505 Posts
... and bought front fork adjusters yesterday from k speed for 33 usd with an inch of adjustment to make it harder or softer which made the front very well planted right now. Strongly recommended for that cheap. ...
Could you provide a link? Went to the site. Changed to English and could not find fork adjusters! I believe this is something most people would want. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Thanks, LL. How goes the install on those fork adjusters? Any special procedure, or do you just swap out the cap? Easy? Fork work is not something I've ever done.

I might have to think about getting tires. I can supposedly get a nice deal on Dunlop Q2. How well did your stock tires hold up, LL ? Wait, did I see in a recent post that your bike came with non-standard tires?
Anybody else have comments on the tires that are stock in USA?

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Natrix for fork adjusters, just remove the stock ones and place the new ones. Pretty easy.
We got dunlop sportmax d222 tires in thailand and they performed fine at the track. They provide decent feedback still not in the league of pirellis. But dunlop q2s are also good tires for track use.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I am a new motorcycle rider, but I have every intention of heading to the track once my basic skills develop. I'm also doing to do a few advanced rider technique courses soon, then I'll book in for a track day weekend with instructors.

This is something I want to get really good at and having solid instruction while developing keys skills will help my development, and translate back into 'everyday road riding'. I don't want to just turn up and have a go on the track. I want to learn some techniques. And getting instruction from a few guys who threw their hat into the TT Isle of Man ring, well you can't ask for better teachers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Natrix for fork adjusters, just remove the stock ones and place the new ones. Pretty easy.
We got dunlop sportmax d222 tires in thailand and they performed fine at the track. They provide decent feedback still not in the league of pirellis. But dunlop q2s are also good tires for track use.
Do most bikes come with the d222? Because mine came with the Dunlop q2s.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Interesting you should say that, mccoy. I thought the tread on the photos I've been seeing looked like Q2s, and I can find no info on any tire from Dunlop called a d222.
That's a pretty sweet tire to put on stock.
Thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts