Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am hoping someone could recommend a good topbox for my 2018. Never had any kind of hard luggage before so it's new territory for me but don't really want to do the tankbag thing anymore. Seems I saw something through Honda but I guess I forgot to bookmark it and now I can't find it. Would appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
532 Posts
This is the Honda (U.K.) accessories catalogue for the 2018 CB500X, which shows the part numbers for their top box kit, and the individual components.

I have use a Givi box on my 2016 CB500F, partly because I already owned the box from my previous bike, but it also gives more flexibility in the different types and sizes of boxes you can buy. I also like that my box can be wired to the stop light, as the bike's one is somewhat hidden by the box that makes it harder to see to lorry drivers who sit much higher up.

If you want to go with Givi the 1121FZ is the part code for the rack for your bike, you would then want an M5 or M7 plate (no idea what the difference is between them other than a slightly different style) for attaching a Monokey box, then to just choose a box from the many which Givi or Kappa make.

The other benefit of the Givi rack is you can later add panniers frames for hard panniers, should you need more luggage.

The benefit of the Honda kit is you can use the rack on its own as a luggage carrier without the box. The Givi plate on its own is not ideal for being used on its own. Personally I do not think they style of the Honda box is any more 'compatible' with the look of the bike to see any reason to favour it other than for being able to better use the rack on its own.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again to all who replied. Looks to me like I'll probably go with Givi. Don't know which model yet. It doesn't need to be huge so I'm thinking something like 29 or 30L.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still looking for a hard luggage solution for my 500X. Tried the 1121FZ brackets, M5 plate and 36L box from Givi but the box was too big/bulbous so I returned everything. Looking for a box around 29-30L but not finding anything. Seems that boxes of that size are always monolock instead of monokey, which is fine with me but can't tell if they will fit my 2018 CB500X. Don't care if it's monokey or monolock, as long as it fits, but vendors never seem to make this clear. I'm new to hard luggage but it just seems ridiculous to me that selecting it is as difficult as it is. The Givi website is really not at all helpful. This forum has been the most helpful resource I've found but what I really need (as far as I know) is the brackets that fit my bike and allow me to add either a monokey or monolock box. Does the 1121FZ do this?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Monokey is generally targeted at larger bikes and monolock at scooters and 125cc bikes, but the only reason for that is the build quality allowing for monokey boxes to carry greater weights and come in bigger sizes. Supposedly it is a stronger mount, but the boxes are also use two layers for the shell instead of one.

But you can obviously use any system on any bike. I used to have my monokey 47L box on a 125cc bike! To me there is no reason for monolock to exist as a separate mount, it just makes everything so annoying and it is unnecessary that you cannot use smaller boxes if you have the monokey system. At the very least they should at least make their smaller boxes compatible with both systems. I guess it must just make them more money to force people to have to upgrade between systems.

The M5M plate is the monlock equivalent of the M5 plate and fits the same frames, so will definitely work with the 1121FZ, which is the correct frame for a 2018 CB500X.

But monolock boxes also usually come with an included universal mounting plate, intended for attaching them to the luggage rack on scooters. So that plate may possibly also work with non-Givi frames, and so possibly also with Givi's one without needing an M5M. If you find a box you like you can always try the universal one, then only get the M5M plate if it does not work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree that the two Monokey / Monolock systems are ridiculous - one system should suffice for all boxes. Thank you for specifying the M5M plate - I suspected that it was the needed plate but nothing outside of this forum would confirm it so once again the forum does what nothing else seems to be able to do. And, great advice about the universal plate that is supposed to be included with Monolock boxes - I ordered the 29L Monolock box and will see if the universal plate works. If not, no big deal to order the M5M, since the Monolock box costs about half of what the Monokey box does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts