Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Last week I was at the airport again and 6th gear without waiting in the limiter I hit 110mph/177km easily. I think I could push around 114mph till it cuts engine power.
(Don't try in traffic please).

·
Registered
924 Posts
There is a private closed bitumen road that a friend lives on (so don't get all pious keyboard warrior on me please), got it up to 178kph and just ran out of road.

It was stable, no wobbles but took a little while from 165kph to get there and I think it could have gone to 180. I'm 102 kg's and that was with a full tank of fuel. So high 180's would be possible for anyone a bit skinner then me, and with less fuel onboard.

Never doing that again though...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
160kph real is p1ss easy sat totally upright on a flat road with no wind. Real easy.

Dave

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm glad to hear that the bike will hit 160 fully upright...that's a big step up from my Ninja 250R which will only do a GPS 133-ish under the same condition. Top speed (GPS naturally) on that bike I've seen was 162 fully tucked in but with a backpack on. Since the bike reads ~8% high the speedo would have been saying 175. This was down AH1 north of Kamphaeng Phet while chasing a Versys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On my dyno I got to 195kph, yesterday found a closed stretch of road got to 180. After 170 speed gains really slow and that is tucked in

·
Registered
69 Posts
Before I had the top case I hit 185Km/h(115m/h).

Since I fitted the top Case I lost some top speed, but am still able to do 180Km/h.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Before I had the top case I hit 185Km/h(115m/h).

Since I fitted the top Case I lost some top speed, but am still able to do 180Km/h.
Not sure I will be able to hit that. Maybe Iam too fat. Iam at 84 kg, full whack on throttle and 170 easy after that very slow to gain speed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have that on my side, although I am not short, for Portuguese Standards(1,76cm) I am rather light with just 60 Kg!

Not sure I will be able to hit that. Maybe Iam too fat. Iam at 84 kg, full whack on throttle and 170 easy after that very slow to gain speed.

·
Registered
882 Posts
most i've done is 108. ran out of straight road though so i went back to 75 ha

·
Registered
8 Posts
yesterday I hit the 191kph (119 mph) mark. I don't know if it's because of the wind and less weight on the bike because of the new exhaust. But usually I'm stuck at 185kph.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Out of curiosity only (though I do like people to try and stay safe), what's the takeaway in going so fast?...assuming you're not on a track?

In my experience, going highway speeds or over just isn't fun. I'm beat to death by wind, the bike is being pushed all over by said wind, and it's just not nearly as fun as twisty roads at a saner pace.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Out of curiosity only (though I do like people to try and stay safe), what's the takeaway in going so fast?...assuming you're not on a track?

In my experience, going highway speeds or over just isn't fun. I'm beat to death by wind, the bike is being pushed all over by said wind, and it's just not nearly as fun as twisty roads at a saner pace.
Agree with this.

·
Registered
73 Posts

I'd say most like adrenalin :p

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm not 18 anymore so I haven't bothered to keep strict track of it, but I think the fastest I've [allegedly] gone so far on my CBR500R is 135 km/h (~84 mph) or thereabouts. I was too chicken to hold it long because the insurance company would throw a fit if I got that speeding ticket. :eek:

For all intents and purposes the top speed of the bike is irrelevant. You won't need it in practice on the street no matter what the conditions, and in most places wanting it isn't worth the risk. It might be relevant for the track, but even then I imagine most tracks you'd want to take it to would have you braking for a turn long before you could reach the top speed anyway. It's obviously not made for racing so it won't be the best bike for the track unless the race you participate in is limited to CBR500Rs (or the 250 and 125 equivalents).

Still personal top speed is something to brag about. It's just a rite of stupidity, particularly among men. :cool: That said, the older you get the less significance you'll place on it. I'm 27 and can't really justify the risks of getting caught anymore. :) If I find the right road, track, or the right lookouts though I'd happily see what I can get it to [(allegedly)]. :cool:

·
Banned
832 Posts

Only upside of going fast is that when you slow down to speed previously you felt uncomfortable now feels ok. My top speed as of today was 70mph :)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Only upside of going fast is that when you slow down to speed previously you felt uncomfortable now feels ok. My top speed as of today was 70mph :)
That is true. I remember a time when I thought going 50mph was going to result in the need for me to pull my pants down and back up to a mirror in order to trim my eyebrows. Getting comfortable with normal highway speeds is very important...assuming you're going to be traveling that way.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Got it up to 183 km/h on a long stretch of empty freeway well north of Sydney.
Couldn't tuck because of my tank bag, didn't keep at that speed for more than 10 seconds or so.

21 - 40 of 248 Posts