Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've managed to get 190km/h on the cbr being as low as I could, Didn't manage to get it to go any faster. I've got a gopro attached to the side of my helmet so I am unsure if it would of done any better without it.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Keep in mind that these calculators are not considering in environmental factors like wind speed and temperature, which all will affect your top speed. The guy in the video probably had the wind on his back which helped push the bike, thus reducing the load on the engine necessary to reach the speeds he can.

The same thing happens on my ninja 300: sometimes, I can hit 119 mph and will be right at 13k on the tach, other times I'll be at 111mph and still be at 13k on the tach. Lots of variables at work.
you might be mistaken while looking at your speedo.
a bike cannot be at different speeds at same gear and rpm. if it makes 119 at 13 k rpm, regardless of anything it makes the same speed at 13 k rpm unless you change sprockets and gearing.

and no confusion, the numbers at gearing commander are theoretical gps speeds not speedo ones. (thanks cbr_dave)

i made a max speed of 189 kph many times and ignition cut there i think. all my friends here also could not pass 189 kph with their cbr500r.
i wonder if our bikes are restricted with japanese standard of 190 kph max on the roads. at least in thailand, it might be this way as cbr1000rr they sell here at honda bigwing is also restricted at 190 kph. i was about to buy one if that is not the case as cbr1000rr was at 10 k usd discount!

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
you might be mistaken while looking at your speedo.
a bike cannot be at different speeds at same gear and rpm. if it makes 119 at 13 k rpm, regardless of anything it makes the same speed at 13 k rpm unless you change sprockets and gearing.

and no confusion, the numbers at gearing commander are theoretical gps speeds not speedo ones. (thanks cbr_dave)

i made a max speed of 189 kph many times and ignition cut there i think. all my friends here also could not pass 189 kph with their cbr500r.
i wonder if our bikes are restricted with japanese standard of 190 kph max on the roads. at least in thailand, it might be this way as cbr1000rr they sell here at honda bigwing is also restricted at 190 kph. i was about to buy one if that is not the case as cbr1000rr was at 10 k usd discount!
According to BigWing Udon it's restricted (Thai version at least) and won't go faster with different gearing. Mine cuts at 187 kph on the speedo as well.

If you want to buy unrestricted in Thailand you should look into the R1. Don't know if you can get the same discount at Yamaha at some happening of some sorts, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :)

Edit: It's restricted... referring to CBR500R.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
121 Posts
According to BigWing Udon it's restricted (Thai version at least) and won't go faster with different gearing.
Unless it's power limited (drag force at top speed equivalent to max power output) there's no reason a smaller rear sprocket can't up the top speed. Although, that said, it's not a powerful bike and could very well be limiting us not the gearing.

Now I'm interested in doing some calculations..

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Unless it's power limited (drag force at top speed equivalent to max power output) there's no reason a smaller rear sprocket can't up the top speed. Although, that said, it's not a powerful bike and could very well be limiting us not the gearing.

Now I'm interested in doing some calculations..
I can only quote what was said. Personally I can only say my bike bounced off at 187. If it was speed or revs I can't say. If it was revs there should be some power left to go on. But the bounce off was definitely a bounce.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
I can only quote what was said. Personally I can only say my bike bounced off at 187. If it was speed or revs I can't say. If it was revs there should be some power left to go on. But the bounce off was definitely a bounce.

It's revs. No matter what gear you're in, it'll bounce off at 9100. If a rider is light and tucked in, a change in gearing should make it possible to go faster, but the speedometer reads off the counershaft, not the wheel, so it'll still indicate the same. You'll need GPS to know that you're actually going faster.

If you're big and heavy, it might not make that speed even with stock gearing.

Reactions: steffenleikvold

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine cuts off at 110mph and I was getting 62mpg during break in. Now it's around 45mpg
I have a friend who has a ninja300 and his speedo says "120" while I'm passing him doing "110" so I'm not sure which one is wrong.. Maybe the ninja is wrong because I drove it, and it does NOT feel like you're going 120 mph.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
105 the highest I ever went up to and my average for MPG remains about a constant 61 or 62 or so. Went down to maybe 57 a couple tanks, that was a lot of going up hills on mountain roads and spanking it pretty good a few times during those tanks, some 85, 90, down the freeway and junk like that. On the freeway out here in the Sacramento area you need to be at 80 or you get run over from behind.

·
Registered
33 Posts
it's hard going a good top speed on this bike. It carries speed welli n the corners but on the straight away at thunderhill i was getting smoked by every other bike there. Think it topped out at 101 or so for me, and that wasn't easy to get to

·
Registered
186 Posts
I haven't been able to get it above 85. I think I'm not using the RPM's well? Not sure...I'm averaging 55mpg.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi
Ive only had mine on the road two weeks but first tank was 88mpg (UK) and second was 86mpg (UK), only has about 400 miles on it at the moment so no high speeds yet, Ive not exceded 5.5k or 50mph but it is up and down in revs and gear changes on my commute. Going for its 600 mile service next week and maybe when run in I might get a few more mpg from it. Coolant needed topping up after first week but has been fine from then on, oil is also fine, should have really just got this bike first instead of the 300 I had.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Hi
Ive only had mine on the road two weeks but first tank was 88mpg (UK) and second was 86mpg (UK), only has about 400 miles on it at the moment so no high speeds yet, Ive not exceded 5.5k or 50mph but it is up and down in revs and gear changes on my commute. Going for its 600 mile service next week and maybe when run in I might get a few more mpg from it. Coolant needed topping up after first week but has been fine from then on, oil is also fine, should have really just got this bike first instead of the 300 I had.
I had to top off the coolant after a couple days also. I think the dealerships don't put enough in, or that happen at the factory for some reason.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think I'm getting 56/60 mpg but I ride hard accelerate hard of stop and my break-in due to bad information from dealer telling me go hard until 600 I figured out at 230 he was a moron so I dunno what it may have done. First new bike so mistakes were made.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Pilot weight: 135 lbs
Gear weight (estimated): 25 lbs
Max speed (indicated): 113 MPH
Avg econ (estimated): 45 MPG

Motorcyclists are like fishermen. They're either bad at measuring or bad liars. :D

I was in Michigan at the time so my units were changed over to miles. I was in a full tuck. At that speed it would drop and come back up again. There was nothing left. I got there in a hurry, mind you. None of this slow climb that people describe.

I think people should post their weight so we can better understand their results. ;)

I've measured my mileage a few times manually and I know it wasn't anywhere near as good as people claim, but I can't remember the numbers after a winter of no riding. Don't think I have a record of it anywhere either (if I did I've have to scan back through text messages on my phone probably, which takes forever).

88 MPG?! You must be driving in the bicycle lane! I cannot imagine. The bike is jerky at such low revs so I'd rather just have the smooth ride and power than hypermile an already efficient ride. :p I get about 12 MPG from my Ranger no matter how easy I take it so the bike doesn't need to be any better (and that can never make up for insurance anyway).

·
Registered
823 Posts
I suppose 88MPG is on British imperial gallon.

if you ride 65-70mph, you can actually get 63mpg on US gallon or around 26km/L.

I've gone 390km on a tank before refuelling.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm showing an average of 45mpg. I know it's off some because I have a larger rear tire. I also do a lot of low speed riding and am pretty hard on the throttle, and I'm heavier than most (240lbs).

Highway instant MPGs are in the 50-55 range.

Yesterday I set my trip meter after filling up, so I can hand calculate this tank.

·
Registered
554 Posts
On my last trip fully loaded with camping gear,topcase,panniers,gear on rear seat,19" windscreen & averaging 75 mph I was getting around 50MPG. If I reduce speed to average 65 mph I get closer to 60 MPG fully loaded with the same gear.. When riding without gear I'm getting in the 70's mpg depending on city/Hwy & speed. I fill up ,ride 70 miles then fill up again & sometimes I can't get a full gallon in tank.in those cases I'm getting over 70mpg . I pre pay for gas inside store instead of using credit card at the pump. I think if you average speeds of 55mph-60 on Hwy you could get mid 70+ mpg.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I hit 110mph this morning and was bouncing off of the redline.. I do about 59-60 MPG on 87 gas..

21 - 40 of 42 Posts