Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Feel free to share the top speed of the bike which you have achieved on a track day and how much MPG you can achieve.

Scott :cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Top Speed

107 top speed. Someone posted to get top speed it has to be in 5th instead of 6th but i was at the red line at 97MPH in 5th and didn't want to go any faster in that gear. Shifted up and proceeded to 107. Thats all its got though and i have a two bros exhaust to boot.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I managed to bounce off the redline in 6th today, 109 mph indicated. Shame the last gear isn't just a hair taller. The last 2 times I've filled up from empty, I calculated my mileage out to 67 and 65 mpg.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I managed to bounce off the redline in 6th today, 109 mph indicated. Shame the last gear isn't just a hair taller. The last 2 times I've filled up from empty, I calculated my mileage out to 67 and 65 mpg.
That sounds wierd. Are you sure you're not i fifth? I've been testing a lot and my bike goes to 173kph / 107,5mph in fifth when it bouces of the redline.

Todays 6th gear testing gave 165kph while riding normally upright, 163kph when riding normally upright, driving uphill. 180kph when driving like a teen.

http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/e...ion/693-unable-reach-160-km-h-2.html#post8191

Anyway, if you're not happy with the gearing why not see if you can change the front sprocket to a one tooth bigger one? I think I read somewhere the stock is 15. Altough you should confirm it really is 6th gear readlining at 109mph. Sounds wierd.:confused:

Edit: While driving hard, mileage is somewhere between 0,042L/km-0,045L/km.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Humm .. I'm starting to wonder if maybe the US gearing is slightly different somehow. Based on the gear ratios given in the manual, the top speed should theoretically be right around 110mph. The redline on this bike is supposed to be 8500rpm from what I gather, but mine seems to bounce a little higher than that.

Using a calculator online, I plugged in the following numbers from the manual:

In MPH:

And KPH:

Based on these numbers, doing 173kph in 5th gear would be waaay over the redline. BUT, watch this video:

This guy manages to hit 185kph in 6th, and the gauge seems to indicate just 8500rpm! This leaves me thoroughly confused. I was going downhill slightly with the throttle wide open in 6th on my run, and I didn't glance down until I felt the bike bounce off the limiter (don't remember my exact rpm) .. but I did see a max of 109mph before it began to drop a mph or two and then speed back up.

In conclusion .. I have no idea. :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nice data! My speedo reads 6% high (checked by GPS) so that could account for the discrepancy. When I was a teenager in UK being able to do the "Ton" (100MPH) was the goal. On my CBR500R I now have to do 170KPH on the speedo to qualify!

Reactions: Natrix

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I have a hard time believing the actual gearing is different as that sound like an unnecessary cost driver (I've been wrong before). You could check the sprockets though, front and back. That wouldn't cost much to replace if they for some reason wanted to change the top speed.:confused:

Did you redline in any other gear to see how much you get?

I'll check your numbers against my Thai manual.:)

From my tests (also seem to bounce a little higher that 8500rpm).
4th: 152kph
5th: 173mph
6th: unable to redline, max 180mph tucked.

If you want I can check redline in the other gears as well.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I have a hard time believing the actual gearing is different as that sound like an unnecessary cost driver (I've been wrong before). You could check the sprockets though, front and back. That wouldn't cost much to replace if they for some reason wanted to change the top speed.:confused:

..or a speed at a certain rpm. That's maybe more exact?

·
Premium Member
585 Posts

As expected, Thai manual gives exactly same numbers as yours.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This guy manages to hit 185kph in 6th, and the gauge seems to indicate just 8500rpm! This leaves me thoroughly confused. I was going downhill slightly with the throttle wide open in 6th on my run, and I didn't glance down until I felt the bike bounce off the limiter (don't remember my exact rpm) .. but I did see a max of 109mph before it began to drop a mph or two and then speed back up.

In conclusion .. I have no idea. :D[/QUOTE]

T0ad, Honda engineering is great but don't trust the numbers on the speedo because they are not accurate! The North American bikes show speeds 6% higher than the real speed checked by GPS and this could explain the issue. I suspect that the RPM measure is accurate but I can't be sure and I have no way of checking it. For comparison, the CBR250R speedos are accurate in the USA but all other countries the speedos are 9% high. Does this mean the USA 250's are slow - NO! We all like to see high numbers but we should be careful about believing them.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
T0ad, Honda engineering is great but don't trust the numbers on the speedo because they are not accurate! The North American bikes show speeds 6% higher than the real speed checked by GPS and this could explain the issue. I suspect that the RPM measure is accurate but I can't be sure and I have no way of checking it. For comparison, the CBR250R speedos are accurate in the USA but all other countries the speedos are 9% high. Does this mean the USA 250's are slow - NO! We all like to see high numbers but we should be careful about believing them.
I really don't think the speedo is the problem. I just checked today and my speedo is about 5% off. That is at 100kph on the speedo is 95 on my GPS. 50 equals 47 and 130 123. Well give and take 1-2kph as it was hard to keep a steady speed while reading two displays.

Any way you look at it, redlining in 6th gear should tell you he either has other gearing than the rest of us, in 5th but not realizing it, or the speedo is way off and he has the most powerful 500 of all.:rolleyes:

The last one in my book being the least likely. Normal gearing should suggest redlining about 190kph in 6th. It would be enlightening if T0ad could do some 4th and 5th gear testing, maybe even 1st, 2nd and 3rd too.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts

(I see I'm a little kph/mph confused. kph it should be ofcourse)

So I guess I should update my results, as without the backpack.

6th: 187kph (redline).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Humm .. I'm starting to wonder if maybe the US gearing is slightly different somehow. Based on the gear ratios given in the manual, the top speed should theoretically be right around 110mph. The redline on this bike is supposed to be 8500rpm from what I gather, but mine seems to bounce a little higher than that.

Using a calculator online, I plugged in the following numbers from the manual:

In MPH:

And KPH:

Based on these numbers, doing 173kph in 5th gear would be waaay over the redline. BUT, watch this video:

Highspeeedtest CBR500R 2013 [GoPro Hero 3 Silver Edition] - YouTube

In conclusion .. I have no idea. :D
Keep in mind that these calculators are not considering in environmental factors like wind speed and temperature, which all will affect your top speed. The guy in the video probably had the wind on his back which helped push the bike, thus reducing the load on the engine necessary to reach the speeds he can.

The same thing happens on my ninja 300: sometimes, I can hit 119 mph and will be right at 13k on the tach, other times I'll be at 111mph and still be at 13k on the tach. Lots of variables at work.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Keep in mind that these calculators are not considering in environmental factors like wind speed and temperature, which all will affect your top speed. The guy in the video probably had the wind on his back which helped push the bike, thus reducing the load on the engine necessary to reach the speeds he can.

The same thing happens on my ninja 300: sometimes, I can hit 119 mph and will be right at 13k on the tach, other times I'll be at 111mph and still be at 13k on the tach. Lots of variables at work.[/QUOTE

You are making an assumption that the speed of the motorcycle is the same as the number on the speedometer. Past experience suggests that USA speedos are close to the true speed and perhaps no more than 2% high. In Canada and other countries the speedo reads as much as 7% high (mine is 7% high). These error factors are built in by Honda to ensure nobody inadvertently breaks the posted speed limit. In addition to the designed error there will be other small errors introduced by things like tire pressure etc. Accurate speed measurements are not easy to make. One way to get a better estimate of the true speed is to ride at a constant speed and use a GPS.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts