Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been countless threads about top speed. I got a chance to go for a ride today and thought I'd take the opportunity to give my answer. For me the answer is 113 mph. I went wide open until it seemed like it was just going to creep. No tuck, just normal riding posture. I repeated this experiment about a half dozen times. 113 mph is definitely where it runs out of useful acceleration. It'll probably go a few mph more but you'd have to tuck and ride for several miles to get it. That's not how I ride so I don't care about absolute top speed in that regard.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
I couldn't push mine past 100 realistically.
Wind was too much

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't push mine past 100 realistically.
Wind was too much
I should mention that my 500R has an aftermarket windscreen, Bridgestone BT023 tires, and 16T countersprocket. All of that contributes to a much more comfortable ride at high speed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same here, 182 kph / 113 mph.

I'm not really one for top speed runs, but I've hit this twice whilst following bigger bikes. I'm still running the normal sprocket sizes though 15/41. I feel like going up a tooth would have increased this a little more.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I may or may not have seen 112 on mine once. Had to work for it, and didn't feel confident over 90 until I upgraded the forks..... still sketchy on this bike at that speed though. 80 and below is fine all day long.

Then the Interceptor came into my life. The equivalent speed could now be had in 3rd gear..... allegedly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The VFR800 is such a great bike, I probably should have gone for one of those first but I thought it might have had too much power for even a cautious newb.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The VFR800 is such a great bike, I probably should have gone for one of those first but I thought it might have had too much power for even a cautious newb.
I was also relatively cautious as a newb, but am glad I didn't get the VFR much before I did. I wouldn't have been ready. I felt like it took a FULL month to adjust to it, and felt a little awkward before this..... and at that point I had been commuting daily on a 250r, then CBR500r for 10 years! It's HEAVY, more stretched out, and has a longer wheelbase, so parking lot maneuvers are more challenging. I both loved and hated it. The hate was due to the ergos. At this point I had a bulging L5, and was used to the SUPER relaxed ergos of the CBR500. Even my knees felt cramped on the VFR, although I DID start on the little Ninja... my body just forgot, and got older. I got the tallest riser blocks I could find for the bars, wish it would go a touch higher and back. I also dropped the footpegs a touch. It's better, but not ergonomically idea. The biggest upgrade, however, was focused core work at the gym.... this has had the biggest effect. Although I focused on the negative aspects, there's a lot to love about this bike, and I have no plans on giving it up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got mine to 115 drafting another bike down a slight hill at full tuck. It kept hitting the rev limiter and slamming me into the tank, so I don't recommend doing it. Flat ground I can't consistently get it to hit 110.

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
There have been countless threads about top speed. I got a chance to go for a ride today and thought I'd take the opportunity to give my answer. For me the answer is 113 mph. I went wide open until it seemed like it was just going to creep. No tuck, just normal riding posture. I repeated this experiment about a half dozen times. 113 mph is definitely where it runs out of useful acceleration. It'll probably go a few mph more but you'd have to tuck and ride for several miles to get it. That's not how I ride so I don't care about absolute top speed in that regard.
Good to see you used another means to attain speed, as so many reports state what they saw on the speedo which inherently has a % error. I know mine was 7% understated, I eventually fitted a Speedo Healer (for other reasons at the time) which makes it bang on right now.
As far as GearingCommander.com is concerned, with your 16T the theoretical max you could achieve before hitting the rev limiter is 122mph / 197kph. Though you'd defo need to be in full tuck, and I'm doubtful the bike even has enough torque to push it those last few mph's to reach that anyway.

Even with my modified bike back when it had ~25% more power , running a 38T rear and a 9600 limiter, the theoretical was 210kph but the most I saw was 198kph. I did run out of road, but given the time it took to get from 190-198kph, it was really battling with drag.
My new engine has ~40% more power with a 10K limiter (with option for a 10.5K) but standard 41T, so theoretical top of 203 to 10K limiter... yet to find/want opportunity for that sort of test though; like you, top speed not really my thing either.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The fastest I've tried was 103 MPH when progress really started to slow down. We did have 20 to 25 MPH sustained wind speed that day with gusts up to 30 or so. I would like to see what the bike could do at sea level without a bunch of headwinds. Maybe I could get a track day in AZ or NV at some point. I currently have stock gearing but I can rev out to 10.5k RPM if needed due to the ECU configuration but I usually shift at 9k. I doubt staying much above 8.5k would be very good for the engine long term.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Last time I put in new sparks plugs and air filter I went from 101 to 108. It went back to topping out at 101 so I put in a new air filter and spark plugs Again and I can only do 102. Wtf, I even disconnected the battery for a while. Full tuck, otherwise it won’t break 100. 2016 cb500F
**** bike is slower than a 300.
I don’t know what’s holding it back! 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
277 Posts
My bike seems to have struggled some over the past few months. But I'm pretty sure it's because of all those extra 'stay in shelter' sweets, and my lack of shedding off their extra calories. :whistle:

·
Registered
39 Posts
My top speed is 188km/h on the speedometer, and where the rev limiter also kicks in (haven't checked GPS speed)
Standard size tires and sprockets.
188km/h = 116.818m/h

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine is 110 mph, stock everything except for a yoshi slip on. Pulls slowly but surely to 110, hits the rev limiter, drops to 107, back to 110, drop to 107, wash, rinse, and repeat. 195 pound rider.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine is 110 mph, stock everything except for a yoshi slip on. Pulls slowly but surely to 110, hits the rev limiter, drops to 107, back to 110, drop to 107, wash, rinse, and repeat. 195 pound rider.
My speedo is set to km/h - hit 188km/h often and unintentionally but rev limiter kicks in and slight drop in speed obviously as above..

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is the first bike in the last five that i haven't drop it down a tooth on the front. . We have nowhere to ride at 90 to 110 without fear of the police. And where i ride its short and squirt 70 to 85 ish and plenty of hairpins. Lubbly Jubbly. I wouldn't mind someone giving me some advice if they have lowered the gearing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
- Similar experience here. Mine hits the limiter at the top of 109 mph, and bounces back JUST before it would make it to 110. 165lbs on a 2016 FWIW.

·
Registered
39 Posts

What application was your top speed screenshot taken from please?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just got back from my ride today. 36° full sun 5mph wind found a new level today, 90mph in 5th gear not flat out. Cb500f no screen and not tucked in just sat upright. Not bad hay.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts