Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am still in the 'break in' period but I was curious if when in top gear on the highway going around 70mph, should the RPMs be in the 5K range? This seems very high to me however if the bike tends to rev high anyways I won't concern myself too much. Other wise if it is odd is it something Im doing or should I take it back to the dealer? I've got about another 200mi to go before I need to take it in anyways.
Also does anyone have issues with dropping into first once stopped? Do I have to cycle through all the gears every time? :confused:

·
Registered
136 Posts
That rpm is just fine for 70mph. When stopped move the bike slightly forward or backward and you'll be able to shift. All is fine with your bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You don't have to move the bike backward or forward. :) just slightly let the clutch out and you will feel it releasing the gear you are currently in and then you should be able to switch gears.

I think my rpms are higher at 70. This is my first bike and it almost feels like there needs to be one more gear. You will get use to it though.

·
Registered
938 Posts
during the break in my rpm at 70 mph were around 6k, now after almost 2000 miles are around 5-5.5k... :rolleyes: i see 6k when i start going beyond 80-85... and i find very difficult to get to red line in 6th... the bike does not have more speed on it... 112 mph is the max i have seen at just below 8k rpm

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Let it rev. It's fine. Hours at redline won't be great, but at 6k it's fine. At 5k the thing is barely working. Even though it's a twin, it doesn't mind the revs.

As for getting into first when stopped, there are lots of threads that touch on that. Search around, but here are a few.
Happy riding!

In this one, the OP definitely has a problem, but there are still lots of tips for normal operation
http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/warranty-service-issues/536-bad-news.html

http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/c.../346-issue-questions-shifting-chain-lube.html

And here's some stuff on how the tranny works, etc.

http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/e...s-vs-dogs-neutral-first-when-stopped-etc.html

Reactions: loserlazer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot guys... Its the first brand new bike I've ever owned so its sort of my baby and I just want to make sure all is well. Im sure you've all experienced that feeling too.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Thanks a lot guys... Its the first brand new bike I've ever owned so its sort of my baby and I just want to make sure all is well. Im sure you've all experienced that feeling too.
Ooh yes. Been there, done that. Learned from my mistakes and from others'.

"You remind me of myself when I was young and stupid." :D No offense - I just love that line!

Keep it upright.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts