Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Top 10 Overlooked Maintenance Items

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Nemo1966 
#1 ·

Perhaps the motorcycle manufacturers are to blame. They’ve made their products so reliable that we take them for granted. We almost feel that if we just keep our bike’s tank full and spoon new rubber on the rims when necessary, we’ve got our machinery handled. Well, that’s not quite true, and consequently, many riders tend to overlook basic maintenance for extended periods. While lots of riders have the off-season in which they have the time away from riding to take care of annual upkeep, many little things need to be done on a regular basis throughout the riding season.
Read more about the Top 10 Overlooked Maintenance Items at Motorcycle.com.

See less See more
#5 ·
You have a perfect bike in the pic I have a 1975 kawasaki 100 that I bought from a individual who brought it back to life
after sitting in a basement since 1983. I purchased it with 1894 miles on it with the owners manual under seat.
It had oem tires on it that are now hanging on my wall. I taught my 59 year old wife to ride on it and now she has a
2016 Honda Rebel. My younger brother is now riding it to learn. Its a great bike. But you MUST check it out stem to stern.

Reactions: Nemo1966
#6 · (Edited)
Thanks - mine is in mint condition with only 900 miles on the clock. They guy who owned it only used to show it at these classic bike type events. The only miles it ever did was going to the MOT station and back every year. It is 95% original and I have had it down to the frame and rebuilt it to ensure it has zero defects. I ride it though! Nothing like the ring of a two stroke sound and the smell.... heaven. Mine came will all the owners/service manuals and the original toolkit (worth £300 in it's own).

I did change the ignition/points system to a CDI on mine because the points are such a faff on the 125 and it also seems to run better on the 12v system rather than the original 6v. I kept all the original stuff though and it's pretty easy the change it back, should I need to.

Top Tip: get an Iridium plug for it, my KE125 loves them - adds a bit of power and smoothness.

The guy I bought it from also had a mint condition Suzuki TS125 as well - he wouldn't sell that one though :frown:

When I was a kid it was actually the KE100 (1979) I used to own in Lime Green - have you got a picture of yours? Do you ride it regularly?

I find that riding the KE125 regularly keeps my CBR500R fast enough (relatively, if you know what I mean).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.